Next pageLast page
89 posts:
Order:    

Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 89  Wed 13th Jun 2012 10:53pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:341

Growing up around Allesley, I remember the sweetshop in the old house near to the doctors' surgery. Just where the White fencing started and the other side of the road to the Allesley Hotel. Big jars of hard sweets lined the shelves behind the counter, and pick and mix was under. The doctors' house is where they ran the surgery. Dewsbury and Leggett I think were the doctors. Wooden panels all over the waiting room. The sweetshop is now a house, but for us young kids growing up around there, it will always be the sweetshop. The Rainbow PH was the only pub in the village, and there is something somewhere that explains why there was so many steps up to get in the place, I will try and find it out. On the same side as the sweet shop a little further down was Butchers Lane. I can just remember a butcher in that lane, on the left hand side as you went up. Further along still you came to the walkway up to the church. Many grooms before being married, have passed this way. Rainbow pub and then to church. I myself did that long walk many many years ago. But what people tend to miss is the building half way up the ramp. No one knows who built it, when it was built, and why it was built. There you go. A little trip down memory lane for you if you came from or knew of Allesley Village. Thumbs up
Always looking forward to looking at the past.

Allesley
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 89  Wed 13th Jun 2012 11:33pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:289

Great memories Baz - which house was the sweetshop? The Rainbow is high up because the road was lowered in the 19th century - which is why most of the places on that stretch are higher up. The little building on the ramp - do you mean the place where tolls where gathered? Again high up because of the road being lowered. I have lived in Allesley Village for 22 years and didn't know about the sweetshop - thanks! Thumbs up
Allesley
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 5:17am  

Hi all. The sweetshop was next to the bus stop opp Allesley Hotel. It is just where the path went narrow, at the start of the white fence. If you go onto Google Earth, it's the house that has the for sale sign on it and is next to a lamp-post. Smile

Allesley
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 1:47pm  

Shall we buy it and turn it back into a sweetshop? Big grin I have very similar memeories of Gilkes shop in Bennetts Road North, Keresley End. That too is a house now Sad
Allesley
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 9:37pm  

There is a little more to that part of Allesley. Anyone remember Allesley annex school close to Paybody Hospital. I think it was only used for about 4-5 years. A brand new school built and within a few years had become unused. Whether it was the child population drop, or money matters, it lay empty for about 3 years or so before getting pulled down and now is the site of Norton Grange. And of course Paybody Hospital itself. There are a great many people that can add a few words together about that place. If they read this, I'm sure they will have their say. The Stone House to the right of the lane that crosses Pickford Way to Allesley Park dates back to the 16th century. It is said that the ghost of one Will Braynes (a castle official) haunts this area. Thumbs up

Allesley
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 10:25pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1708

I grew up in Allesley Park and spent ages running around the park and through the village. I used to play on Castle Mound and in the then derelict farm buildings that are now part of the nursing home and Allesley Hall. I also used to go behind Paybody Hospital past the church and over the field at the back where there was a stream - spent many a happy summer in that stream and watching the Jags on test.
Allesley
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 10:39pm  

The River Sherbourne was the stream, And walking from Butt Lane, you crossed a bridge over the stream and up the side of Townfield saddlers. The Jag car park was behind that. Following the path next to the football pitches to the side of the Jag gates, my dad dug the allotment to the left, behind the shop. There were some pig pens that he used at greenhouses at the bottom of the allotment in line with the gatehouse. Smile

Allesley
The spirit of Coventry
Spain
All posts by this member
8 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 10:52pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2011  Total posts:81

Ah this is an interesting thread! I lived for 21 years in Allesley Green, I worked in the Rainbow pub for John (Grote?) for a while. My grandmother and father lived up in the oap bungalows at Barnfield Avenue, my grandfather would regularly drink in the Rainbow many years ago. Me and my brother would have a good day out at the fetes at the church and Allesley village primary school and open garden day round the village. Spent a lot of time as a kid playing up that neck of the woods. We also spent a lot of time in the Herbert looking over what seemed like mounds of local history pages all about what had happened in the village over decades. I have a fascination with history and people's lives and what better way to spend some time, then to indulge yourself. Most locals will know about the motte and bailey castle you have up in Allesley Park!! My grandfather had to stay for a while up in the eye ward, I remember exploring all around that area when my mother came to visit. There is a hotel up other end of road called the Coventry Hill Hotel, dose anybody know was there ever a big old manor house that stood opposite it where the flats are now (Halifax Close?). I remember hearing some a while ago about it. I wonder who lived there? Cheers
Allesley
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
9 of 89  Thu 14th Jun 2012 11:31pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3011

On 14th Jun 2012 10:52pm, The spirit of Coventry said: There is a hotel up other end of road called the Coventry Hill Hotel, dose anybody know was there ever a big old manor house that stood opposite it where the flats are now (Halifax Close?).
There was a big house there called "Guiting House" but it dates only from the early 20th Century: Old-Maps.co.uk
Allesley
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 89  Fri 15th Jun 2012 8:21pm  

Thank you for that info and map - a local lady told me that there used to be a house there until the 50's, but I'd not been able to find it one earlier maps - now I know why! Cheers
Allesley
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
11 of 89  Fri 15th Jun 2012 9:14pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3011

I think it was a guesthouse of some sort which would have been typical of the area. Prior to that being built most of what people now think of as "Allesley" was just farmland.
Allesley
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 89  Fri 15th Jun 2012 9:57pm  

Yes, most of the village was at the 'posh' end by the church - my friend can remember our houses being built in the farmland! The village green was the piece of land by the shops, in front of the flats there.
Allesley
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 89  Fri 15th Jun 2012 10:46pm  

As you come up from the shops towards what I know as the Hollies "where the big house once stood", and across the now A45 to the large farmhouse, "now the Windmill Village Hotel", a distant relative of mine owned it as the farm. When they sold up, they moved to the top of Browns Lane in Hawkesmill Lane. The factory on the A45 just past what I remember as the Sportsmans Arms is where I think the Triumph TR7-8 were built. And as for the names around the area that point out there may have been a windmill somewhere, I cannot find it on any maps. Wave

Allesley
Baz
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 89  Fri 15th Jun 2012 10:56pm  

Hi there, Spirit of Coventry. Do you remember or have any info on the Allesley Castle. If so there is a thread on this site. I started it a while back and any info, no matter how small, would be useful. I grew up in the Allesley area and only heard a month or two ago it had a castle. Thumbs up

Allesley
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
15 of 89  Thu 21st Jun 2012 12:48pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

"Guiting House" Whilst on a visit to my 95 year old uncle who was born and bred and still lives in the village I asked him about "Guiting House". The name meant nothing but he remembers the Cluley family living there in the 1920s and 30s. Probably elsewhere on the forum but well known in Coventry for cars and cycles. On the 1911 census they were at Brownshill Green. He also remembers two ladies by the name of Kelly who lived by the large house at the top of Windmill Hill. He delivered newspapers to them. Further memories this morning were about Trinity House in Rectory Lane where the Grindlay family lived (Coventry Motor Sundries). Must sign off, meeting about Ash Green Summer Festival on Saturday at Ash Green School.
Allesley

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 89 posts

Page 1 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Pails Bakery
|

Next (newer) topic

Robinson family
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 215ms)