No actionNo action
4 posts:
Order:    

Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 4  Thu 14th Jun 2012 5:18pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:161

I am amazed at what members can do with their researches. A challenge! I have been stuck for a decade with the following problem:- Does anyone know the name of the journalist at the Midland Daily Telegraph who used to write under the pseudonym "Historian" in the 1920s - 30s. Each week he wrote a short column about historical events in the city, some of which happened on an equivalent date in previous years. Sometimes, as in the case of Coventry Godiva Harriers, he wrote several articles over a period of years. I don't know what his particular expertise was, but he had the habit of putting a 'modern' interpretation on historical events concerning the club and embroidering 'facts' from one report to the next published article, clearly not understanding the connotations of words specific to the harrier sport. A nice example is the Victorian running vest becoming 'jersey' then a 'woolly jumper'. I assume he was a male because I was told he also used to write the weekly review for the rugby [union] column.
Midland Daily Telegraph writer, 'Historian'
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 4  Thu 14th Jun 2012 6:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1565

It seems an obvious suggestion, but have you tried contacting The Coventry Telegraph - wouldn't they have some sort of records of previous journalists who wrote for the original paper?
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
3 of 4  Thu 14th Jun 2012 6:19pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

They would, but in my experience getting one of their employees to actually dig them out is near impossible!
Harrier
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 4  Thu 14th Jun 2012 6:35pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:161

' .... records destroyed in the Blitz' is the best I have managed in the past! Thanks for the suggestion anyway

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 4 of 4 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Photo poser - Street scene, but is it Coventry?
|

Next (newer) topic

Godiva Car Club
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2018

Load time: 285ms