No actionNo action
201 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
196 of 201  Sat 16th Nov 2019 4:04pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1792

There are some interesting pictures on Flickr which are from pictures in the Herbert. I think I am ok in sharing a link to this. I was interested in the animal motifs on either side of the door. Are they similar to the ones with the porch? Entrance to the cloister.
Little Palace Yard
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
197 of 201  Sun 17th Nov 2019 9:51pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2332

Well spotted. The lion looks similar and might tie in with my theory that the lion might have been contemporary with the arbour in Little Palace Yard, but not the other animals. Edited by member, 17th Nov 2019 9:59 pm
Little Palace Yard
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
198 of 201  Tue 14th Apr 2020 11:53am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2692

Thanks to my friend Cliff Berwick this one has turned up (well it was new to me!) of LPY - it’s looking west from within the court towards to entrance to Little Park Street just out of shot to the left. Cliff just had it as a court on LPS but I spotted it instantly as it’s the same but earlier view of my photo showing my dad’s cousin Trevor. The house where the lady stands was No.1 of 10 houses split within the court. Note the comparison with my later image - I love that little window in the corner! Edited by member, 14th Apr 2020 11:56 am
Little Palace Yard
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
199 of 201  Thu 21st May 2020 1:16pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3850

The Old Palace Yard, or court houses, were often built in a parallel round a square, where each side looked at its likeness opposite, as if it was seeing itself in a looking glass in a small world of its own. Men in shirtsleeves would shout to each other from open windows, and boys played marbles and got underfoot. In the evening across the court you would see the shadow of a hand moving against a drawn blind in motion. The suffering, care-worn men, much like the small bird in the cage on the wall, seemed to struggle through their lives, between work and want of the ribbon manufacturers, who lived in large houses and could toss his dog enough meat that would make the poor workers and his family a dinner.
Little Palace Yard
coventry49
Budleigh Salterton, Devon
All posts by this member
200 of 201  Thu 21st May 2020 3:56pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:194

In the second picture the stone 'Mounting Block' is clearly visible between the two ground floor windows. We children loved to climb onto this and were told that people used it to climb onto their horses. This should have been removed and preserved when the Yard was demolished. It may have been the last surviving one of its kind in Coventry.
Little Palace Yard
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
201 of 201  Thu 21st May 2020 5:18pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3850

George Checketts took over a Liquor Vaults opened a few years earlier by a Mr H Chittem. On the day of opening, Nero his famous lion sent him a poem. The seventeen year old lion tamer was virtually eaten by the tiger, the few remaining pieces buried in Wombells grave.
Little Palace Yard

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 201 of 201 posts

Page 14 of 14

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Aerial views of Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Hill Street