No actionNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
16 of 23  Wed 2nd Aug 2017 5:36pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:714

They're there on the early fire insurance maps on the north side, opposite the market. Their buildings then sweep north towards the river. They seem connected to the Lion Iron Foundry just to the east but I don't know how close the relationship was. To the west and partly to the north of it was the New Centaur Cycle Co. Just to the north, against the river was the Rover Cycle Co on the upper floors. In its day the area was a real hive of industry.
Matterson Huxley and Watson
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 23  Wed 2nd Aug 2017 7:49pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:175

Am I correct in thinking that MHW were still trading in Hales St in the 60s/70s? And does anyone remember the plough that stood on the top of that building?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
18 of 23  Wed 2nd Aug 2017 8:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4384

Quite correct, matchle55 - and I believe the plough went to their premises on Kingfield Road
Gas Centre
Perth Scotland
All posts by this member
19 of 23  Wed 2nd Aug 2017 8:22pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2014  Total posts:77

Kaga The entrance to Mattersons was in The Burges, I think they sold steel from there. To the right of the entrance was the telegram office, I remember this because I had to call there one Christmas Day while on emergency duty working for the Gas Board. This would have been about 1961-62, it was the start of a long cold winter. AH
Alan H

Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
20 of 23  Wed 2nd Aug 2017 9:31pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:360

LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
21 of 23  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 10:08am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:288

When I was an apprentice I was instructed to buy my tools from a shop, left hand side at the bottom of Greyfriars Lane. Was that a branch of MHW?

Question

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
22 of 23  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 10:51am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4384

That would be the Warwick Lane premises in Heathite's post above Thumbs up
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
23 of 23  Thu 3rd Aug 2017 1:46pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1682

Gas Centre, thanks, but not thirty years before, the entrance was in Hales Street. Midland Red, thanks, but I did a search for MHW but got no trace. Yes I visited the repair shop in West Orchard a number of times, for we often had broken hoe blades or harness breaks, exciting for me because boss had the only car in the village, and his mother liked to city shop. MHW had a forge, racks to take long saw blades to repair or sharpen, and a few men to repair harnesses etc. The plough on top of the shop in Hales Street was a one furrow plough, the same as I was allowed to work with on my own, from when I was twelve onwards. Often the air was sweet with the luxurious perfume of newly mown grass, while the next field was a rolling corn-field, billowed before a breeze. Hundreds of poppy heads danced scarlet among the golden corn. Most times dusk was gathering when I turned my horse from the last furrow of the day. Yes a very long time ago when the world was different in every way.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Things you see (non-Cov)
|

Next (newer) topic

Visiting Coventry
View similar topics in the Industry, Business and Work category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 54ms)