Next pageNo action
16 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 16  Thu 28th Jun 2012 8:46am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4412

I saw the headline about the hidden traffic camera catching out loads of drivers using a new bus lane, but when I saw it on TV last night, I couldn't believe my eyes They have actually made the railway bridge on Stoney Road one way for non-bus traffic Who on earth came up with this idea? And why? (I guess there is a rational explanation but I fail to see it!) Oh my
Stoney Road bus lane
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 16  Thu 28th Jun 2012 9:07am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1545

You're right Cliff - this is total nonsense! It appears a few residents, living in Humphrey Burton's Road, complained because they felt this route out of town was becoming a "rat run". What they have really done is force motorists to navigate round by Central Six - and in the middle of all this, they are putting a pedestrian crossing right in the middle of the ring-road island! The big problem now is all the cars clogging up Cheylesmore so they can get out of the city. And what many people may not know is that cars coming INTO the city centre (which is still allowed) have TWICE totally demolished the "No Entry" sign (as seen from the opposite direction) because the tiny little central island is difficult to navigate. Buses, turning into Manor Road also have difficulty with this "central reservation" because they have to swing out in order to get round the corner, and this "island" is a major obstruction. What a mess!
Stoney Road bus lane
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 16  Thu 28th Jun 2012 9:17am  

On 28th Jun 2012 9:07am, TonyS said: You're right Cliff - this is total nonsense! It appears a few residents, living in Humphrey Burton Road, complained because they felt this route out of town was becoming a "rat run". What they have really done is force motorists to navigate round by Central Six - and in the middle of all this, they are putting a pedestrian crossing right in the middle of the ring-road island!
And they also have to negotiate the Ring Road junction where traffic comes off Ringway St Patricks and the roundabout at the bottom of Warwick Road even before they get to the Central Six bottleneck! We used to live in Asthill Grove, from the station it was easy, Park Road, Manor Road, Stoney Road, home - imagine the difficulty now that would be involved Oh my
Stoney Road bus lane
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 16  Thu 28th Jun 2012 6:00pm  

I see they have also "hidden" one of the new city-centre speed restriction (20mph) road signs behind a tree just before you get to this camera. That's another hair-brained scheme. a) How is anybody going to keep to that speed, buses in the city-centre certainly aren't, and b) How do they plan on enforcing it?
Stoney Road bus lane
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 16  Fri 6th Jul 2012 12:17pm  

I hear on the radio this morning that some appreciative citizen of Coventry has ripped the camera of it's pole and just left the wires protruding!! Thumbs up (hopefully the power has now been turned off!) And has now been removed! Telegraph report
Stoney Road bus lane
GVB

All posts by this member
6 of 16  Sat 7th Jul 2012 10:32pm  
Total posts:109

I must confess to having a chuckle when I read this, however that was not because of the camera being "removed". It was because the story had made national news, was in the Daily Mirror and referred to Cllr Harvard as "she". Lindsley Harvard is one of our very able ward councillors and most definitely male and I can only assume that the Mirror looked at his first name and mistakenly thought it was Lindsey Big grin
Stoney Road bus lane
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 16  Sun 8th Jul 2012 1:43pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:827

Well as this bus lane was done as part of the 'Friargate' project, I thought this was an appropriate place to post this LINK Hopefully they'll get some interest in this - especially with the improvements to the public realm that would happen.
Stoney Road bus lane
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 16  Wed 18th Jul 2012 4:43pm  

The Telegraph are reporting a THIRD accident (in three months) tonight at the new bus lane. A car ploughed into the signpost of the bus-gate in the central reservation. This contrasts with just TWO accidents near that junction in the last two years! HOW MANY MORE?
Stoney Road bus lane
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
9 of 16  Mon 9th Dec 2013 9:49am  

It's a good fund raiser for the council! - link Oh my
Stoney Road bus lane
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 16  Tue 10th Dec 2013 11:37am  

I can still see no reason whatsoever for putting a bus lane there. And "stealing" £430K from us drivers is disgraceful. When the "Friargate" work starts people should be aware that there will no longer be access from Manor Road to the Junction 6 roundabout, which will be blocked off! Buses and taxis will be allowed to cross straight over from Station Square into Park Road - where a new access is being created through the far end into Quinton Road (just how they are going to do this remains to be seen as the two roads are on very different levels!) The rest of us mere mortals will have to turn right out of Station Square into Manor Road, then left into Stoney Road, along to Mile Lane at the far end, turn left to the island, then left again on the Ring Road, just to get back to Junction 6!! Oh my WHY!!
Stoney Road bus lane
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 16  Tue 10th Dec 2013 12:03pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
12 of 16  Wed 5th Nov 2014 4:13pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3836

Hi all Wave Testing live link It works, better than the bus-lane!! Bus Lane Closures
Stoney Road bus lane
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
13 of 16  Wed 5th Nov 2014 4:53pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:843

I hope they close the bus lane in Swanswell Street, just one bus can stop a whole line of traffic, and more often than not hardly anyone on it ! Thumbs up
Milly rules

Stoney Road bus lane
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 16  Wed 5th Nov 2014 7:26pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2291

Smile Logic !! Dreamtime don't be silly, that and common sense are not taught any more. 😮 As for the council knowing about bus lanes causing to much pollution then want to place a 20mph speed limit around the whole of the city, which I voted no to in the papers, are we paying high wages to people who want to kill us off quickly. 😡 Then governments moan about nhs bill of smokers, when its proven non leaded fuel causes cancer, yet they have never proven smoking causes Cancer. No wonder so many men have died of cancer in Longford and I have a hacking cough since the A444 was built and my young daughter with the M6 the Foleshill Rd, Longford Rd and the A444, by the Ricoh all so close together. Yes I have complained to the council of fumes from traffic.
Stoney Road bus lane
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 16  Thu 6th Nov 2014 2:23am  
Off-topic / chat  

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 16 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Rob's Twinkle
|

Next (newer) topic

Cow Lane
View similar topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 177ms)