No actionNo action
91 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
91 of 91  Mon 10th Jun 2019 12:02pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2845

Around 1820. About fifty feet from the old gateway of the Greyfriars Monastery was the Old Rose Inn in Much Park Street, a well-established house of small brick and post in panelled style. Shadows flickered from the fire, the grey haired owner, noted for his surliness, but famed for its home brewed ale. Frequented by many citizens and trades people in the evenings. Each had his own pipe and tankard, the later marked with his name. The daily paper was here read nightly to an attentive audience in good loud tone, by an enterprising person - it was also lent out next day to neighbours requiring it. If they kept it more than twenty minutes they were charged one penny for its use. The word "Much" locally was in early times equivalent to "Great" and was so used in the time of Elizabeth I. The old monastic buildings which were erected by the Whitefriars about the year 1343 had seen many changes, and now with extra buildings, formed an excellent workhouse for the poor. As built by the friars they consisted of a church and ecclesiastical offices with cloister gates and domestic buildings surrounded by walls.
Much Park Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 91 to 91 of 91 posts

Page 7 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Car Dealers, Garages, Petrol Stations
|

Next (newer) topic

West Orchard