No actionNo action
280 posts:
Order:    

Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
271 of 280  Wed 5th Oct 2016 10:40am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:450

Anne, good morning, I think you may have touched, in your great description of life in the "entry", on the reason for the usage of the word "jetty" or "entry". You mentioned car access. I too lived in Coundon for a period in Bassett Road, a cul-de-sac (dictionary = blind alley), at the back of our house which was probably built in the 1920/1930s was the "entry", certainly wide enough for cars and most of us had a rear garage. My wife lived for a while in Broomfield Road, which had a rear passage, not all that wide, but I think that was called a "jetty". Could there be some distinction coming from the past, whereby you could get a horse and cart/trap/carriage up a designated entry whereas a jetty didn`t serve that purpose?
Unique Coventry words and phrases
Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
272 of 280  Wed 5th Oct 2016 11:04am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:362

My aunt and grandmother lived in Coundon, and called all the passageways "jetties", whatever their width.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
273 of 280  Wed 5th Oct 2016 11:37am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:881

We lived in Courthouse Green until I was about 8 and there was a rear access wide enough (just) for cars. My father always called it a jetty and my mother referred to it as the entry. They were both from the same place and had lived in Coventry for many years. So I think you make your choice. I usually called it the entry. Not a big deal, really.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
274 of 280  Wed 5th Oct 2016 12:50pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1003

We called it the "entry" but I think when the houses were built, 1930's there was a hedge up the middle leading to the back door and the gardens of our house and the one the other side. Probably today it would be called a drive. The houses in the middle of the terrace also had entries but these were just a narrow passage, with part of a bedroom of one side house over the top which I think is called a flying freehold. My husband is from Tamworth and he calls them jetties!
matchle55
Coventry
All posts by this member
275 of 280  Wed 5th Oct 2016 1:36pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:159

On 5th Oct 2016 9:20am, LesMac said: Please "Oblige me"
Thanks Les, now I know Thumbs up
Malvern
Somerset
All posts by this member
276 of 280  Thu 12th Jan 2017 11:40am  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:19

On 5th Oct 2016 12:50pm, Annewiggy said: We called it the "entry" but I think when the houses were built, 1930's there was a hedge up the middle leading to the back door and the gardens of our house and the one the other side. Probably today it would be called a drive. The houses in the middle of the terrace also had entries but these were just a narrow passage, with part of a bedroom of one side house over the top which I think is called a flying freehold. My husband is from Tamworth and he calls them jetties!
I grew up in Wainbody Avenue North and the alleyways that ran between Wainbody, Grasmere and Woodside were known as "jetties". The access to the backs of the terrace houses (such as on Kenpas Highway) were called "entries". A few other phrases, which I'm not sure were just peculiar to our family or which are general Coventry idioms, were: I seen instead of I saw as in "I seen Bill the other day" When recounting a story the frequent use of "I says" as a filler. So a story could go something like this: "So I says to him, I says, and he says to me, he says..." Use of "me mother" or "me father" even when speaking to your own brother or other parent.
Malvern

Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
277 of 280  Thu 12th Jan 2017 12:34pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:362

A lot of "Coventry" phrases originated in Brum - my dad's family were Brummies, and I remember my nan, who lived in "Birningham" (an alternative pronunciation of old), saying things like "I seen Mrs Neenan in town. 'Er said her was a-goin' to buy some shoes." Then there's "Our Len said...", "our kid's come home" etc., usually referring to a sibling. An aunt from Coventry (Foleshill) used "our Keith" and similar. The use of the historic present in the third person, instead of the correct first person, is interesting: sometimes, for amusement, I have deliberately said, instead of "I went", "so I goes down the road...", causing the odd raised eyebrow. Got that turn of phrase off me mam, I did, and she was a Coventry kid.
Derek Skelcher
Bristol
All posts by this member
278 of 280  Wed 24th May 2017 10:56pm  
Member: Joined May 2017  Total posts:7

How about the use of "pumps" for plimsolls. Down here in Somerset they are known as "daps"
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
279 of 280  Thu 25th May 2017 7:19am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1586

M'sen, was frit to death wen the bobby put is and on m' shoulder sed gotcha ya little varmit I wuz only tekin somat away muster. Where do you live? t'other side of the leckie You arpies kid? Yus such Then 'b' off
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
280 of 280  Thu 25th May 2017 4:24pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:433

On 24th May 2017 10:56pm, Derek Skelcher said: How about the use of "pumps" for plimsolls. Down here in Somerset they are known as "daps"
Hi Derek Wave They were always called pumps in Yorkshire (but not Lincolnshire) so I suspect the word may have migrated here with the influx of workers

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 271 to 280 of 280 posts

Page 19 of 19

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

St Mary Magdalene, Wyken
|

Next (newer) topic

Family History research
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 44ms)