Next pageLast page
317 posts:
Order:    

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
286 of 317  Sun 16th Jul 2017 6:45pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:471

Interesting list MR, as usual with these things I reckon at least half of them have nothing to do with Coventry Smile. I certainly remember them being used by my relatives in Yorkshire when I was still at school.
Coventry placenames, words and phrases
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
287 of 317  Sun 16th Jul 2017 7:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

At least! That's why I said "don't shoot the messenger" Wink
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
288 of 317  Sun 16th Jul 2017 8:29pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:471

I wouldn't dream of it MR Cheers
Vtopian
Hertfordshire
All posts by this member
289 of 317  Sun 13th Aug 2017 10:07pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:47

Not sure if this is unique to Coventry, but there is a local phrase which I have never heard anywhere else. To demand money or property with menaces (mugging): "I'm taxing your jacket" = give me your jacket or it will not go well with you! Anyone else been unfortunate enough to have heard this one?
ManFromVtopia

Maya
York
All posts by this member
290 of 317  Tue 24th Apr 2018 10:00pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2013  Total posts:8

After retiring I got very interested in family history, this involved census records, parish records etc. I then wanted to find out more about the places that my ancestors lived, worked and had their families. This was how I came across your brilliant site. If only other towns/cities had such a wonderful resource. I grew up in Coventry, left over 40 years ago but still image it to be the same as when I left in 1973. I love looking at photos posted both before I was born and after I left. I was born in Styvechale, went to Stivichall Infant and Junior School (previously called Green Lane school) and then on to Lyng Hall comprehensive. After teacher training I taught at Annie Osborne Junior in Woodend. My church was West Orchard congregational where I went to brownies and guides and eventually married there. I have enjoyed reading many of the threads but can someone answer me this. I grew up in the district of Styvechale (it was such a hard word to learn to spell when I was young) but understood that my school Stivichall was spelt differently because it was in Coat of Arms Bridge Road and that was how the Stivichall family spelt their name. Is the old spelling of the district no longer used? I have read many threads, seen maps and even a road sign all using 'Stivichall' for the district. Thanks again for a wonderful forum which I am sure I will use a lot. I may even be able to help with a questions as well. Post copied from topic Welcome to the Historic Coventry Forum on 28th Apr 2018 8:06 am
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
291 of 317  Wed 25th Apr 2018 5:17pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1311

You're very kind Maya, thank you for such a lovely introduction. The forum part of the site is only as good as its members' contributions, which is why so many people from far and wide think so highly of it. I wish I knew the answer to your Stivichall / Styvechale conundrum - it's an ongoing mystery for our city that I'd love to hear a definitive answer to! Post copied from topic Welcome to the Historic Coventry Forum on 28th Apr 2018 8:06 am
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
292 of 317  Fri 27th Apr 2018 12:26pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1025

I put the Stivichall/Styvechale conundrum down to the fact that our forebears didn't have a dictionary close to hand. On the 1667 map below it is spelt Stichall. They would be good contenders as reporters for the Coventry Telegraph Wink
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
293 of 317  Fri 27th Apr 2018 9:59pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:528

Thanks for printing this map Pixrobin. I don`t know if it gives the answer, but I note Wyken is also spelled as "Wiken" which to me means it was always pronounced the modern way with a long "aye/eye" so perhaps Stichall would have been similarly pronounced. I think there must have been problems with describing phonetics, because Whitley must have always been pronounced the way it is written on the map so didn`t need changing. Mind you that doesn`t seem to explain why Coventr(e) got a "y", or Alesley had a y but gained an l. Caresley I assume is the modern Keresley. Some pronounce it "Currsley" and I was taught to say "Caahsley", my mother originated in Manchester and only migrated to Coventry aged 12, she taught me so what do I know? Cheers
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
294 of 317  Sat 28th Apr 2018 9:55am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:528

On 15th Jul 2017 1:41pm, Midland Red said: Telegraph having a look at "40 top words and phrases" - article Oh my PS. Don't shoot the messenger Wink
Thanks (belatedly) MR for directing us to this list, it`s well worth a look. One that caught my eye was "mardy" which I recognise, used here in Lincolnshire when one of my golf partners refers to the mood of another one of our group. But it reminded me of a word another Coventry friend of mine uses when he refers to somebody who is "throwing a fit" as "he went yampie". Mind you in Scotland a school child might say "Miss . . . is having a fleepie" Cheers
RLCherrington
London
All posts by this member
295 of 317  Sat 28th Apr 2018 5:40pm  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:70

Hi Roger and other forum members! If my mum said that I or any of my siblings were 'mardy', we were usually in trouble! It meant being miserable cus we didn't like the food in front of us, what we had to wear, or generally being miserable for no reason! My dad's favourite word was yampy and if he said that about anyone, you can guess, he was not amused! Wink
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
296 of 317  Sat 28th Apr 2018 6:23pm  

Mardy appears to Yorkshire and East Midlands; yampy is definitely West Midlands Thumbs up
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
297 of 317  Sat 28th Apr 2018 10:09pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:252

Mardy and yampy have definitely been used here for a very long time. If I had a strop on, as a child, my parents would call me a `mardy pants`.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
298 of 317  Sun 29th Apr 2018 10:48am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2077

Greg, Somewhere I have posted a lot about a kid we called Yampy who lived in the street you are now in. A mardy kid was the same as being sulky, if you thought some one had been given a little more than you you would get Mardy. Yes, and stroppy was the same thing but just a little more energy, talk back.
Wimero
Nr Rugby
All posts by this member
299 of 317  Sun 29th Apr 2018 1:07pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2015  Total posts:148

A friend who hails from the north of England (Congleton) said someone from up there was deemed to have a 'cob on' if they were a bit mardy or stroppy.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
300 of 317  Sun 29th Apr 2018 1:13pm  

Have a cob on Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 286 to 300 of 317 posts

Page 20 of 22

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .. 18 19 20 21 22
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Carnivals / Godiva Processions
|

Next (newer) topic

Bubble cars (was 'Messerschmitts over Coventry!')
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2018

Load time: 165ms