No actionNo action
334 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
331 of 334  Tue 23rd Apr 2019 4:27pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2781

Dreamtime I thought some of Prof's rhyme was from Deedle-um-dee, but not sure, but there was: There was an old woman that swallowed a fly I don't no why . . This went on for many verses, she swallowed many animals, but they were all good fun when you were a toddler. Lessons were sung in my early days: Twice one are two, buckle my shoe Twice two are four, knock at the door Twice three are six, pick up sticks Wonder if those culture people of Coventry really know what happened in the city some years ago.
Words and phrases we remember
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
332 of 334  Tue 23rd Apr 2019 5:53pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3295

Kaga, They still sing songs with numbers and alphabets according to my daughter as she's a teacher. Burl Ives was well known for the song "There was an old woman that swallowed a fly, I don't know why she swallowed the fly, perhaps she'll die". Not forgetting "two fours are eight, shut the gate, two fives are ten, big fat hen, two sixes are twelve, dig and delve". After that I am lost. Very gruesome way to teach the kids I would think, like most rhymes, some have nasty endings, but nobody complained about it in those days. We have to be careful what we teach little Johnny now!!!
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
333 of 334  Wed 24th Apr 2019 8:56pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:986

When I was at Stoke National till the age of eight we learned all the tables by rote, and also the Ten Commandments as it was a Church school. The Rector, Mr Ashcroft, made an occasional visit to the classroom, where we recited what we had learned. His daughter Rosemary was in my class.
Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
334 of 334  Thu 25th Apr 2019 9:16pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:506

Prof "A Frog He Would A-wooing Go" was on of the many songs we used to sing along with as a class to the music programmes on the BBC schools radio in junior school. Among many others that I remember include "Boney was a Warrior" and sailors songs like "My fine Annie". Of course much later on we realised that many of the songs weren't as innocent as we thought and full of double meanings. I often wonder if some of the teachers realised what we were all really singing, and if they did they still managed to keep a straight face Big grin

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 331 to 334 of 334 posts

Page 23 of 23

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 ... 19 20 21 22 23
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Stoke Heath School
|

Next (newer) topic

Trafalgar Street and Hertford Square