No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
1 of 5  Wed 11th Jul 2012 7:59pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

I just wondered if any of the forum members remember 'Silk Disco' in Coventry during the 1970's. Fronted by Jim Twyneham and his able cohort who I think was named Graham. Silk had several residencies over the years, I remember them at The Bear Inn, High Street, 'Arthurs' at the Humber Hotel and The Plough, London Road every Thursday evening circa 1975. The last I heard of Jim he was the announcer at Highfield Road! I would be interested to hear of other people's memories, as in their day 'Silk' were probably the best known disco in Coventry.
Silk Disco
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Wed 11th Jul 2012 8:44pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4927

I remember Jim from Sunday lunchtime sessions in the Styvechale Arms when it was a favourite haunt of Sky Blues players - John Craven, David Cross, Neil Ramsbottom, etc Cheers (when it was a pub!)
Silk Disco
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Thu 12th Jul 2012 12:35am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:884

I remember Silk Disco very well. There were a group of us, about 5 lads from our football team, plus a group of girls from Bedworth way, who were regulars at the various haunts. Around 1970-72 we would be at the Plough on Friday and Sunday nights for Silk. (Saturdays were the Lanchester Poly in winter and the speedway in summer.) It was about 2/- to get in and you had your hand stamped with the word 'Silk' to show you'd paid. There was some sort of problem with the Plough in about 1972 and it moved to the Humber where it was Arthur's, although the room was unsuitable. It was normally a meeting room for football organisations, but the gaffer, Harold Powell, never missed a chance to welcome in the drinking public, so it survived for a while. I seem to recall it returning to the Plough later. Jim Twyneham was a distinctive figure with his long blond hair and tinted specs. He worked by day in the Driving Licence and Vehicle Tax Office in Greyfriars Lane as I recall him coming to my house one teatime because I had forgotten to sign my cheque for my car tax. He had a car with a personalised registration (when they were rare), presumably because of this connection. I believe it was 51LKO. He was announcer at Highfield Road for many years, known for his trademark deep voice, but was badly treated soon after arrival at the Ricoh. The rift was patched up, I think.
Silk Disco
Beesman
Cornwall
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Thu 12th Jul 2012 1:40am  
Member: Joined Mar 2012  Total posts:370

The problem with the Plough in 1972 was that having live bands and also Silk discos had severely weakened the floor!! There was a great fear that the floor would collapse into the cellar below. The 'last night at the Plough' as it was billed, featured a popular London band by the name of Hackensack. Silk returned to the Plough on Thursday evenings in the somewhat 'posher' surroundings of the lounge!!
Silk Disco
Trev T
North Yorkshire
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Sun 27th Oct 2013 10:53pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:11

Here you go - Silk Disco - with a great photo of Jim Tyneham at the mic and more.
Silk Disco

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Traffic light signals in Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Group photo mystery
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category