Topic categories:

Coventry City FC (The Bantams (aka The Old Five))

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 77 posts

Page 1 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page
77 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
1 of 77  Fri 13th Jul 2012 10:48am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4550

There's a thread for the Sky Blues but not for the Bantams for us forumites old enough to remember the "good old days" before JH arrived And there's sad news today - not the best way to start the thread, I know - with a report on the passing of Eddy Brown : LINK He's one of the first players I remember at Highfield Road when my dad and grandad took me to watch football in Division III (South) There's an article here about him RIP Eddy
artful
lancashire
All posts by this member
2 of 77  Fri 13th Jul 2012 9:26pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:140

50 goals in 85 games for the Bantams.The man is a legend. RIP Eddy.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 77  Sun 15th Jul 2012 1:04pm  

This is a programme cover from the days of Eddy Brown Thumbs up
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
4 of 77  Mon 16th Jul 2012 8:28pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

Another former City player for you, Fred 'Cute Herbert'. Apparently they called him 'Cute' because of the way he played and was a prolific scorer of poached goals that were in the net before the opposing defence could stop him. He was born in 1898 in Bedworth and for all his early life lived in Coventry Road in the town. For twelve years from just before the First World War, Fred Herbert starred on the football field and scored many goals. After playing in the local works leagues he was signed by Birmingham City but was quickly transferred to the City where he played for much of the 1920s. After he finished playing he kept the Beehive pub in High Street, Bedworth until his death in 1945. This is a cartoon of 'Cute' drawn by Walter G. Cunningham, the cartoonist for The Coventry Standard.
artful
lancashire
All posts by this member
5 of 77  Tue 17th Jul 2012 4:58pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:140

Heritage, love the cartoon. He made 199 appearances and scored 86 goals for the Bantams, which remained a record until Clarrie Bourton came along. Interesting to note he also played for Exhall Colliery. My Grandad had a blacksmiths business at Black Bank opposite the Colliery. Long before I was born mind you. Lol.
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
6 of 77  Tue 17th Jul 2012 6:22pm  

I've failed to add another, I will try one by itself. 'Cute' started his working life at the Daimler Company but left and got a job at Exhall Colliery. He was playing for Foxford United as a left winger and it was his turn of speed and accurate shooting that mainly led to the United winning the championship of the Coventry and North Warwickshlre League (Junior Division) in the 1913-1914 season without losing a game. "Cute' scored 54 of the 107 goals in the Foxford tally that season, with only three goals being scored against them. After two seasons with Foxford, scoring 81 goals, he transferred to Bedworth United, then in the old Affiliated League, which also turned out to be a star team. But it was when Exhall Colliery started a team that "Cute" became a marked man. In the 1921-22 season they carried everything before them, they won the Bedworth Nursing Cup, the Leamington Hospital Senior Cup and the Birmingham Junior Cup. It happened that Mr Slade, a Birmingham City director watched Exhall play Rowley Associates in the semi-final of the Birmingham Junior Cup at The Butts in Coventry. He had gone to watch Woodfield, the Exhall centre forward who had been getting a lot of goals, but it was 'Cute' who took the eye, scoring both goals in Exhall's 2-1 win. Afterwards 'Cute" was asked to sign for the 'Blues', which he did. A week or so later, not knowing that Cute had signed for Birmingham, Mr Evans the Coventry City manager turned up at Exhall Colliery, as 'Cute' came off shift, to sign him only to learn he was too late. However 'Cute' only played two trial games for Birmingham and although he scored three in each game, they agreed to transfer him to Highfield Road and the rest as they say is history. Another Bedworth lad in that City side was Jackie Randle who was born in Bedworth in August 1902. He joined Coventry City in 1922 after being spotted playing for Exhall Colliery. He made his debut on 27th August 1923 against Bradford City at Valley Parade in League Division 2. The Coventry City team on that day was Best, Winship, Randle, Alloy, McLachlan, Rowley, Dougall, Shea, Gittos, Wolfe, Wood. The match result was Bradford 0 Coventry 0
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
7 of 77  Tue 23rd Oct 2012 9:17am  

Sad to report the passing of Iain Jamieson, ex-CCFC player and director, former MD of Courtaulds, on 19 October 2012 Thoroughly nice man RIP Iain
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
8 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 5:23am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

Can I just mention a little gem we have on our bookshelf:- Coventry City at Highfield Road 1899-2005. Ghosts of a Vanished Stadium. Written by Jim Brown. According to the records therein I had a relative who used to play for the City and was a leading goal scorer in 1928-29. There are some great photos which I am sure would ring a few bells for you boys. Wave
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 7:27am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1540

Aren't you going to enlighten us Dreamtime, with his name? Thumbs up
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
10 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 8:16am  

Now the City are back in Division Three
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 11:33am  

On 27th Oct 2012 7:27am, TonyS said: Aren't you going to enlighten us Dreamtime, with his name? Thumbs up
A bit before your time I imagine. But the players name is Toseland I have to go into the census sheets to trace his exact name and particulars. An uncommon name so it should not be too difficult, bare with me on this one, I am not very clever with 'leg work'. Wave Just adding to the above, going by a census page in an ancestry book compiled for us by our eldest granddaughter, there are two other Toselands other than my grandfather and they are a George H and a Simon G and that is all I can find. I did have an uncle, Bill but he was in London serving in the Royal Guards and I do know he was not into soccer. I will have to leave the rest to the experts TonyS. Thumbs up Not very helpful am I ?
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
12 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 3:05pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

Dreamtine: Ernie Toseland played 22 times for City between 1925 and 1928, scoring 11 goals. He joined City from Higham Town and left for Manchester City. There is a picture of him on the 1928-29 team photo in the book 'Coventry City - A Complete Record 1883-1991' by Jim Brown and others. According to Wiki, he was born on 17 March 1905 and died on 19 October 1987. He had a distinguished career at Manchester City, playing in 2 FA Cup finals in 1933 and 1934, winning the latter. I have known Jim Brown for many years and I'm sure he would be delighted to hear from you. It is likely he has much more information about Ernie's City career. Let me know and I can PM you his email address.
dougie
from Wigan
All posts by this member
13 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 3:57pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2010  Total posts:198

Dreamtime, I did google Toseland 1935 after you uploaded the photo this morning Smile this is the link Big grin things you can get from google "but they're not always right" this will be Wink Thumbs up P.S. We still have an old man in the bowling club that will answer to the name of "Twinkle Toes O'Brien" but I never knew the player he got the name from until today Big grin Thumbs up Thanks
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
14 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 3:58pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

Dougie: As a follow-up, there are two bits of football trivia regarding that Manchester City team in 1937-38. I believe they were the first and only defending champions in the top flight to be relegated. And also the only team to have been relegated having scored more goals than they conceded. A little more on Toseland's City career. His debut was on 5th September 1928, scoring in a 2-4 defeat at Watford. His final game as on 23rd February 1929 in a 1-1 draw at home to Luton.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 77  Sat 27th Oct 2012 4:18pm  

On 27th Oct 2012 3:05pm, MisterD-Di said: Dreamtine: Ernie Toseland played 22 times for City between 1925 and 1928, scoring 11 goals....
Thank you for all the information MisterD-Di, I have come to a dead end here as I have no record of an 'Ernie'. Obviously there are more Toselands than we knew of. Unless of course we have a skeleton in the cupboard we did not know about. My grandfather did have a link with Northampton during some stage in his early life (he was born in Weedon) but most of his life was spent in Coventry. Wave

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 77 posts

Page 1 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's development
|

Next (newer) topic

Research project for men aged 60-80 years
View similar topics in the Sport, Music and Leisure category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 53ms)