Topic categories:

Have a laugh!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 766 to 780 of 797 posts

Page 52 of 54

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 51 52 53 54
Next pageLast page
797 posts:
Order:    

Earlsdon Kid
Argyll & Bute, Scotland
All posts by this member
766 of 797  Thu 26th Mar 2020 3:34pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:84

A while ago, whilst changing all the clocks and watches around the house, I had a thought about the number of wasted hours involved in this unusual activity of changing the time to make us think we had changed the rotation of the earth! I timed myself and the chore took about 30 minutes to change clocks and other devices (old dvd recorders, cordless phones, cookers, central heating etc) that do not change automatically and to check the devices that should. I have not even included the digital camera or car clocks. Taking the number of homes in the UK as 25 million and ignoring workplaces entirely, this equates to 12.5 million hours twice a year. Further, assuming an average working week of 40 hours, I estimate that the time spent changing the clocks in spring and autumn throughout the UK is roughly 625,000 working weeks. Just a thought.... or maybe I don't have enough to do! Cheers
Have a laugh!
pixrobin
Canley
All posts by this member
767 of 797  Sat 28th Mar 2020 6:40pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2014  Total posts:1145

Have a laugh!
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
768 of 797  Sat 28th Mar 2020 9:19pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:731

On 26th Mar 2020 3:34pm, Earlsdon Kid said: A while ago, whilst changing all the clocks and watches around the house, I had a thought about the number of wasted hours involved in this unusual activity of changing the time to make us think we had changed the rotation of the earth! I timed myself and the chore took about 30 minutes to change clocks and other devices (old dvd recorders, cordless phones, cookers, central heating etc) that do not change automatically and to check the devices that should. I have not even included the digital camera or car clocks. Taking the number of homes in the UK as 25 million and ignoring workplaces entirely, this equates to 12.5 million hours twice a year. Further, assuming an average working week of 40 hours, I estimate that the time spent changing the clocks in spring and autumn throughout the UK is roughly 625,000 working weeks. Just a thought.... or maybe I don't have enough to do! Cheers
Agreed. Even as a kid, I could never see the sense of shifting the clock by ±1 hours twice ever year. It gains not a single second of extra daylight, which is fixed by physical laws that govern our solar system, not to mention the universe. It is a complete waste of human effort that merely causes confusion. Not to mention bug... I mean, messing up one's body clock. In the infants', our teacher taught us a rhyme: In summer time, we sing a song And put the clocks an hour on; In winter time we say alack And put the clocks an hour back. Before I left school, they tried British Standard Time, an experiment whereby the clock was not bug... messed about with twice a year. They soon reverted to the old system. The powers that be (or were at the time), the old guard, resistant to change, no doubt felt threatened by it. Over centuries, their stance has slowed down the progress of the human race. Edited by member, 28th Mar 2020 9:27 pm
Have a laugh!
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
769 of 797  Sat 28th Mar 2020 11:51pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:330

I thought the whole idea of changing the clocks was to make sure the kids weren't walking to school in the dark. Is that an old wives tale - like the Queenslanders' objections on the grounds that the cows get confused about milking time and the curtains fade?

Question

True Blue Coventry Kid

Have a laugh!
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
770 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 12:05am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:731

So they gain an hour in the morning, but have to go home in the dark... nothing gained. I was told, by my parents, that putting the clocks back or forward was done during a war, for the benefit of the farmers. That was in the olden days when most working people worked on the land... before electricity. We have tractors with lights now, and I've often seen them ploughing late at night. I remember going to school and coming home in the dark, and it never did us any harm!
Have a laugh!
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
771 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 12:24am  

I guess they might have argued that the kids going to school early in the morning might be a bit drowsy, but would survive the afternoon darkness? But that still leaves the cows confused!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Have a laugh!
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
772 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 12:44am  

In these grim days, pages like this play quite an important role in keeping people sane. In my case, it is having exactly the opposite effect, and I came up with this. How many readers realise that the great Australian poet, Sir Les `Banjo' Patterson, was a keen swimmer? Well it's true, and just recently an early draft of his best known song, Waltzing Matilda, was discovered in an old sheepshearers' dunny in outback Queensland. To the surprise of the historians, the story line was nothing like the one which is sung wherever Australia's real national anthem is performed - in fact it is much more interesting, and realistic, than silly nonsense about dancing sheep! Even the signature suggests that Patterson's real love was swimming, not music, as he signed himself `Backstroke Patterson'. Presumably his musical colleagues misheard this as `Banjo'! Well, here it is - see what you think! Once a jolly swimmer camped by a billabong, Under the shade of a coolabah tree, And he said to his mate as they looked across the billabong "Looks like about 50 metres to me!" Chorus: (repeat after each verse) Swimming, Matilda! Swimming, Matilda! You'll come a-swimming Matilda with me. So they stretched and they warmed up, ready for the billabong. You'll come a-swimming, Matilda, with me! Up came the starter, mounted on his podium, "One hundred metres of Butterfly!", said he. So they stepped to the pool's edge and waited for the gun to fire, Each looking forward to victory! Bang went the pistol, startling the wild life; Off went the swimmers at breakneck speed. Down in the reed bed, beady eyes searched frantically, Anticipating a tasty feed! On sped the swimmers, butterflying beautifully, Quite unaware of the threat astern. On sped the croc, doing something like a doggie-paddle, All swimming hard going into the turn! Just as the croc thought he saw his opportunity – Jaws open wide to receive his prey, The swimmers touched the bank and, dolphin-kicking furiously, Shot past him going the opposite way! Croc spun around, his tail thrashing angrily, Almost a length behind was he! But he snapped at their heels as they powered to the finish line, Marked by the roots of a mangrove tree. Each thought he'd won so, hoping for acknowledgement, Looked to the Ref quite anxiously; But the Ref smiled sadly and disqualified the crocodile, "One handed touch at the turn!", said he. `Backstroke' Patterson
True Blue Coventry Kid

Have a laugh!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
773 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 8:56am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3553

Another feather in your cap JW. Gudonya Thumbs up With regard to the clocks, we here in the west of Oz have not moved them forward, in fact we have never moved at all! Roll eyes Edited by member, 29th Mar 2020 9:00 am
Have a laugh!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
774 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 9:34am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5632

On our recent travels, we changed the clocks on twelve occasions, most of them at 2pm, which rather seemed to negate the effect - no losing (or gaining) an hour’s sleep Oh my
Have a laugh!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
775 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 9:35am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3725

The butterfly really belongs to Coventry in UK - Graham Symonds introduced it.
Have a laugh!
JohnnieWalker
Bonny Hills, Australia
All posts by this member
776 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 9:41am  

It's a bugger of a swim stroke. My kids taught me to swim in my late 30s, and butterfly proved to be a step too far. Every time I tried to do the butterfly, the pelvic thrusts necessary to gain forward propulsion reminded me of something else and I fell about laughing. No good in the middle of a swimming race!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Have a laugh!
Ken Dickson
High Hesket Cumbria
All posts by this member
777 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 9:53am  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:52

Kaga, I guess you mean Graham Symonds introduced the butterfly swimming stroke to Coventry. If you mean he was the first to introduce it and use it in competition then Google tells a different story. It is recorded that an American swimmer called Myers first used it in competition in New York in 1933. There are also other claimants, long before Graham Symonds was born.
Have a laugh!
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
778 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 10:08am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1754

In 1935 the stroke was originally banned by the ASA, but it was later recognised as it was to be permitted by the International Federation Bureau for the Olympic Games in Berlin so it was legalised for the trials for the games.
Have a laugh!
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
779 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 1:02pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:356

I altered the clocks last night before going to bed. Had trouble with the sundial as it seems not to work at 11 pm. Came back into the house and my wife asked me if I had altered it. I told her that I couldn't as Spring had broken.
Have a laugh!
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
780 of 797  Sun 29th Mar 2020 1:30pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3725

Ken Oh my, you people do jump quickly. Myers was not in the UK (Johnny Weissmuller did too but couldn't get on with it). Yes there was others, no competition without, but unheard of at that time. Graham was number one in the UK when it was reintroduced. The joke was, he was asked to swim for Britain in a competition just before the selection for the Olympic Games, promised it would not alter the selection, but it did, he was tired out after that swim and was beaten narrowly next day in qualification.
Have a laugh!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 766 to 780 of 797 posts

Page 52 of 54

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 51 52 53 54
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Corley Open Air School
|

Next (newer) topic

High Street
View similar topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5

Website & counter by Rob Orland © 2020

Load time: 182ms