Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2898

Great OL, there it was GONE Thumbs up
Council House
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
32 of 48  Wed 19th Apr 2017 12:11pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

On 5th Apr 2017 8:18pm, NeilsYard said: Yippee!
Here you are, Neil Cheers
Council House
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
33 of 48  Wed 19th Apr 2017 2:38pm  

Now, that's more like it!!!!!!! Thumbs up
Council House
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
34 of 48  Thu 20th Apr 2017 12:42pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4603

War wounds? Oh my I hadn't realised just how many marks there are on the walls of The Council House - this is just one small area
Council House
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
35 of 48  Thu 20th Apr 2017 2:02pm  

Very observant of you MR. I have a feeling you may have disturbed a hornet's nest. I wonder how many more older buildings in Coventry have the same apart from the wounds on the old cathedral.
Council House
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
36 of 48  Fri 21st Apr 2017 8:53am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1860

Yes, looking at the Council House and then Herberts I know which I prefer. What say you?
Council House
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
37 of 48  Sat 22nd Apr 2017 6:23pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:832

I like them both. The building between them seems oddly small and makes a poor link between the two buildings, in my opinion, and the East End of the Herbert has been ruined by Coventry University's new building. The whole street is a disjointed. The Herbert has potential for a decent public space outside it, but is underused, like most of Coventry's squares. The Town hall is nothing special. A fairly modest Mock Tudor building that fitted in at the time due its location. (And it seems a little awkwardly positioned as well). You are allowed to like old and new buildings, you know. The post-war architects moved away from copying medieval buildings and had new materials and new technology to use, not to mention lack of finances and shortages of materials.
Council House
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
38 of 48  Sun 20th Aug 2017 10:27pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1573

The foundations go up for the 'new' Council House in 1915.
Council House
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
39 of 48  Sun 20th Aug 2017 10:45pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:792

Nice picture Neil. Now go back in time and ask them to photo the plot before they knocked the houses down. Lol
Council House
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
40 of 48  Mon 21st Aug 2017 3:39am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1573

I keep searching Helen! It's funny in the Earl Street thread the only images are with that gap and not before. Here's the laying of the foundation stone in 1913
Council House
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
41 of 48  Mon 21st Aug 2017 7:54am  

That's a photo I've never seen before. I think the reason that there doesn't seem to be a before picture is because the demolition took so long. One section was demolished early enough for a small park to be laid over the plots. I'd be surprised if Wingrave never took a photo, especially of the St Mary Street end but none seem to have survived. There may be one in some collection, with nobody able to work out where it is. The same goes for the other side of the road in the same area.
Council House
coventry49
Devon
All posts by this member
42 of 48  Mon 21st Aug 2017 8:12am  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:141

In the first picture Neil, what is the old building at the rear of the site with leaded windows. Is it the back of St Mary's Hall and to the left 22 Bailey Lane?
Council House
Malvern
Somerset
All posts by this member
43 of 48  Mon 21st Aug 2017 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:24

"In the first picture Neil, what is the old building at the rear of the site with leaded windows. Is it the back of St Mary's Hall and to the left 22 Bailey Lane?" Comparing with Google maps and the 1897 insurance plan. I believe the buildings behind are all part of St Mary's Hall. 22 Bayley Lane would be to the left of the picture but is not quite visible. To the right of the crane you can just make out Drapers Hall and the row of buildings on the east side of St Mary Street. These buildings are now the Grass Area between St Mary Street and Bayley Lane and The Herbert. My ancestors lived at 3 or 4 Bailey Lane in the mid 1800s (which is now the other side of that grass area facing onto Bayley Lane!) Edited by member, 21st Aug 2017 5:33 pm
Malvern

Council House
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
44 of 48  Mon 21st Aug 2017 5:57pm  

Close Malvern but I think from left to right. Caesar's Tower, St Mary's kitchen, some later building with a gothic window that I think was part of the kitchen too, the police station and then I think it's the middle of St Mary's Street on the right. I think that most of that end of Bayley lane was 3 storey or above and wasn't demolished until after the Council house was built.
Council House
Malvern
Somerset
All posts by this member
45 of 48  Mon 21st Aug 2017 6:33pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:24

I think I agree Helen, The 1897 insurance plan describes the whole area as St Mary's Hall with from left to right. A brick arched bast (the Hall itself) then the Police Offices with the court behind and the Muniment Room at the rear. in 1897 the side facing onto St Mary's Street was under construction and included Cells and concrete floors, but the Fire Engine House further up St Mary's Street towards Earl Street was already in existence but seems to have gone by the time this photo was taken. Drapers Hall is mostly obscured by the crane then the buildings visible on right, which you correctly state are half way along St Mary's Street, are described as vacant, with a silk warehouse and then G Carey Franklin Ribbon Factory on the corner of Earl Street and St Mary's Street. The warehouse and factory would have been to the right of this photo. I have details from the Coventry Standard 23 July 1864 regarding the sale of 23 Earl Street and 3 and 4 Bailey Lane. The freeholds were sold following the death of Harry Chetham. At the time 23 Earl Street, which was to the right of the above ribbon factory which occupied 19 to 22 Earl Street, was let to Mr Goodfellow at a "low" rent of £60 per annum. The property included a ribbon warehouse to the rear which then connected through to 3 and 4 Bailey Lane which was let to my ancestor, Thomas Carvell and Charles Clarke at "rents producing £21 per annum, exclusive of rates" So my ancestors house would have been to the rear of the buildings seen on the right of the picture. Edited by member, 21st Aug 2017 6:35 pm
Malvern

Council House

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 45 of 48 posts

Page 3 of 4

1 2 3 4
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Hill Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Copsewood Grange
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 71ms)