Next pageLast page
101 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
46 of 101  Mon 21st Aug 2017 9:20pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1815

That photo was taken from here - Council House History website Interesting site so thanks to the owner if he/she is here!
Council House
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
47 of 101  Tue 22nd Aug 2017 4:38am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3125

Thanks Neil, we are all living and learning from the captions under your pics, me more so since clocking in each day on the Forum. I took most of these old buildings for granted when living in Coventry (don't we all) and now enjoy looking at your posts Thumbs up to see what you have each day for us. Thanks again.
Council House
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
48 of 101  Tue 22nd Aug 2017 4:45am  

My pleasure Dreamtime - they are not my pics but on the World Wide Web for all Coventrians to see and enjoy. I just work in an area where I have to 'surf' a lot and come across the more unusual or unseen sometimes. Even I regret not taking more notice of some of my surroundings in the 70's and 80's. There's so little left now that's not been developed or untouched. Wave
Council House
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
49 of 101  Fri 11th May 2018 5:12am  

Council House
PeterB
Mount Nod
All posts by this member
50 of 101  Tue 17th Jul 2018 1:05am  
Member: Joined May 2014  Total posts:148

Walking down St Mary Street I noticed the initials "ST" (or "TS) set into the side of the Council House. Does anybody know what the initials stand for and why they are there? Peter.

Question

Council House
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
51 of 101  Tue 17th Jul 2018 7:46am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

Peter - from the 'Where is this in Coventry?' thread . . .
On 3rd Mar 2013 12:06pm, mick said:
On 28th Feb 2013 5:20pm, Midland Red said: Saw this today - what do ST (or TS) stand for, and where is it?
I think I might have cracked it! Coventry's second paid Police Superintendent was a Thomas Skermer from Liverpool circa 1860. This would have been about the time the new Police Station was built and I suspect he thought he would incorporate himself for posterity.
Council House
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
52 of 101  Tue 17th Jul 2018 1:04pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1249

"The building is faced with Runcorn stone and roofed in Cotswold stone. The rich display of heraldic carvings mostly centred around the main entrance includes the arms of many historical characters associated with Coventry's history, from the time of Edward the Confessor until the 16th Century. The full list is: Edward the Confessor; Henry II; Queen Isabella; Edward III; Edward, the Black Prince; Richard ll; Henry VI; Queen Margaret; Queen Elizabeth l; Mary, Queen of Scots; James l; the Earls of Chester, Cornwall and Northampton; the Dukes of Norfolk and Hereford; Neville, Earl of Warwick; Sir William Dugdale Thomas Sharp; John Hales; Sir Thomas White; the Botoners and Swillingtons, Thomas Wheatley, Thomas Bond; William Ford; Dr Philemon Holland; the Davenports: the Hopkins and Jesson families; Sir Skears Rew the Harringtons of Coombe Abbey; the Berkeleys of Caludon Castle; the City of London; and the See (bishopric) of Lichfield and Coventry. This is the list published in the programme to the official opening, but when the devices were repainted in the 1950s, it was found that Ford and Rew were not among them but another - Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick - was." Listed is the name of Thomas Sharp, born in Coventry in 1770 an antiquarian, all about him Thomas Sharp. Could well be another contender
Council House
CovPoliceHistory
Coventry
All posts by this member
53 of 101  Tue 17th Jul 2018 6:45pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2018  Total posts:21

On 3rd Mar 2013 12:06pm, mick said: I think I might have cracked it! Coventry's second paid Police Superintendent was a Thomas Skermer from Liverpool circa 1860. This would have been about the time the new Police Station was built and I suspect he thought he would incorporate himself for posterity.
Absolutely impossible would it be for Thomas Skermer! Appointed Chief Constable & Superintendent of the Police in June 1857. He also held the posts of Inspector of weights and measures and was the 1st Captain of the Fire Service (1861). During November 1861 he absconded with the wages for the Police, £56 9s 1d, further checks of the books found the sums of £19 6s 2d and £16 12s 4d were missing, it was also known that other monies had passed through his hands and not entered into the books! I can't see the 1863 new Police Station giving him any form of acknowledgement.
Council House
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
54 of 101  Wed 18th Jul 2018 10:30am  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:541

Looks as if TS initials are for Thomas Sharp then, Annewiggy, as you gave for an alternative!
Council House
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
55 of 101  Wed 18th Jul 2018 4:14pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2305

The proposed building was in "Tudor Style" faced in stone and decorated with bay windows, turrets, and a clock tower.
Council House
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
56 of 101  Wed 18th Jul 2018 6:59pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1125

The police station doesn't look like it was there in its stone format on the 1850 map although there was a police station about half way along St Mary's Street or Half Moon Lane as it was called then. It looks like it was brick (although it could be a skin on an older building). On the Fire Insurance maps it says that it was 'Under construction July 1897'. Probably later than we expected? There's a rather nice sketch of it in the library (search - police Mary). There have been changes since then, including a new storey but that might have been post bombing. Edited by member, 18th Jul 2018 7:01 pm
Council House
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
57 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2018 10:56am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2305

But tell me, what did the hundreds of working men think of the building in 1920? What did the returning soldiers think of the expense of the building when they could hardly get a penny for their injured state that stopped them working? In the 1950's we did not have this great forum, or anything like it, there was little information out there, so I asked my grandad. I believe for a time it was called the Tudor House, and people liked that, it was in harmony with its surroundings but they feared in the long run they would have to pay for it. I also think there were some demonstrations by ex-soldiers but I could be wrong about what he told me (memory).
Council House
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
58 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2018 11:27am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1125

They think what we all think, that the latest council spendathon is an overambitious waste of money when we can least afford it. Then 50 years later they or their kids are outraged that the council wants to update it or worse, knock it down and start again.
Council House
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
59 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2018 1:48pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:541

I am of the persuasion that the Council House is an adornment to Coventry, so let us hope, if the University take it over, they will respect and value it as a statement of its time, just on the turn of the new century. With the other council buildings in St Mary's Hall it is something worth keeping. Edited by member, 19th Jul 2018 1:57 pm
Council House
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
60 of 101  Thu 19th Jul 2018 3:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5009

I'm reminded of the old "joke" - which would probably now be outlawed - of the immigrant from the sub-continent newly arrived by coach into Pool Meadow, walking up Priory Street into Bayley Lane and on into Earl Street. He asked a passer-by what the large building was. "Council House" came the reply. "Good grief! I've got my name down for one of those!" Wink
Council House

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 46 to 60 of 101 posts

Page 4 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

St Mary's Guildhall
|

Next (newer) topic

Meredith Road Baptist Church