Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

GVB

All posts by this member
1 of 5  Tue 21st Aug 2012 10:31am  
Total posts:109

Does anyone remember a gentleman called George Bromley? He used to live in Kingsland Avenue in the Chapelfields area. My connection with him concerned motorbikes as he was well known for buying and selling them. Many years ago (early 60's) I bought an Ambassador bike from him. I don't remember how much I paid but I don't think it was much. I believe it had a 197cc Villiers engine and from what I recall it was quite a good buy.
Motoring - George Bromley
VernonDudleyBohay-Nowell
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Tue 21st Aug 2012 2:51pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:39

Yes, me and my youthful motorcycle-mad friends used to visit George on a regular basis in the 60's looking for various spares for BSA/Triumph/AMC machines. If I remember correctly the bits were 'stored' where he lived - in his back room and kitchen - and covered most of the rear garden. George was a 'character' - real nice bloke but I imagine not too popular with his neighbours. His front privet hedge had reached bedroom window height - unusual in a neat terraced street. There were rumours of stored machines in the bedrooms but we weren't invited there. I also seem to remember he lived on a diet of Lyons individual fruit pies and roll-ups. There were cats too (not part of his diet).
GVB

All posts by this member
3 of 5  Tue 21st Aug 2012 3:20pm  

I remember the cats well (there was after all quite a few of them). I recall the bikes being anywhere and everywhere and like you I didn't get to see "the upstairs storerooms". Still, he was certainly a useful source of spares Thumbs up
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Tue 21st Aug 2012 3:38pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:215

I remember helping clearing out what I think was his shed in Kingsland Ave, it was full of old brit-bike stuff. Is he any relation to Ken Bromley that has the motorcycle shop in Spon End by the old Bowling Green pub?
Triumph - 'The Best Motorcycle in the World'.

GVB

All posts by this member
5 of 5  Tue 21st Aug 2012 9:19pm  

I don't know about that but I do know my mates all used to take the mickey as I happen to have the same surname Big grin Having said that, as far as I can remember having the same name didn't get me a discount when I bought that Ambassador Smile

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Godiva Car Club
|

Next (newer) topic

Mystery Car outside the London Road Cemetery
You are viewing topics in the Motoring category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 71ms)