Next pageLast page
100 posts:
Order:    

TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 9:09am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1561

I would just like to say, a very public, HAPPY 43rd WEDDING ANNIVERSARY to my Wife! (its also her birthday today - but we don't talk about that!! Roll eyes ) She will have an absolute fit when she sees this Big grin , but I just thought it would be a little different from hanging bedsheets and balloons on the local roundabout Smile We met on holiday in 1967 (who says holiday romances don't last) and were married two years later. We are celebrating with family and friends later today. Sorry Rob, I have well and truly digressed from the "Historic Coventry" theme - but I'll remove the post once my wife has seen it (and stopped hitting me for putting it on here!). Thumbs up
News, Media and Current Affairs - !! Happy Anniversary !!
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 9:20am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4074

Hi Tony, & so say all of us!!!! It's Pam & mine tomorrow, our wedding from September 7th 1968. Forty four years for us. Happy birthday & anniversary to you both. We can recommend the porridge at Wetherspoons!!! Wave Cheers Thumbs up Roll eyes Smile Oh my
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 9:42am  

Thank you Philip, you are very kind. And a very Happy Anniversary to you and Pam for tomorrow! Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
4 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 10:47am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5021

Sincere best wishes to you both, TonyS and Jaytob - hope all is well with you both Cheers
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
5 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 11:22am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5021

. . . . and of course to you, Philip and Pam, for tomorrow ! Cheers
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
6 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 11:46am  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2216

Happy Anniversary to you and yours, Tony, hope you both had a great day, also to you and yours, Phillip, lovely photo, Coventry history in the making of both your forty odd years of marriage.
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 12:48pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:627

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ALL. Thumbs up Cheers Cheers Cheers
Adrian
UK
All posts by this member
8 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 12:58pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:191

A Happy Anniversary to you all Cheers Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 2:26pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3155

It's like Happy Families on this forum so I am sure Rob would not mind me wishing the happy couples Happy Anniversary. Hope it's a lovely day for celebrations. Thumbs up Cheers Wave Happy Smile Lol
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
10 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 2:36pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:855

I have no doubt you will find something to munch on tomorrow Philip!
Milly rules

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
11 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 3:55pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 6:10pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:627

On about anniversaries, seeing as this might be erased, Thought I might add about our (me and my wife) yearly travel to our courting grounds. Two weeks ago I arranged Travelodge at Acle in Norfolk and checked the tide table for Morston quay to make sure everything went smoothly for a day out in my little 12ft dinghy. I really wanted to try out my new electric outboard motor. Oh my . We launched the dinghy an hour later than I expected so we were already on a falling tide but undaunted we motored down the inlet and then onto Blakeney Point (seal island). The water was calm, the sea blue and it was like being in a lagoon, which it is really. There were hundreds of seals, never seen as many before, very inquisitive creatures, they were swimming to within a few feet of the dinghy. Being prepared for everything I threw my new anchor out and then proceeded to have dinner and coffee. What a lovely day, until I noticed we were drifting! Quickly I pulled the anchor in to find out there was no anchor on the end of the chain. That was brand new and there was no way I was going to lose it. Starting the outboard I motored back and forth for about an hour, lo and behold I found it, leaning out I just managed to grab it and retrieve it. The pin had fallen out of the swivel so the chain had fallen out. I could not believe my luck but I spotted the pin, so with a cry of glee I jumped overboard, but when I picked the pin up it slipped out of my fingers. At this point my wife said "there is a seal behind you" so like an idiot I leapt back into the dinghy, at my age you do not leap back into a dinghy, you fall over backwards and end up half drowned. So, climbing back into the dinghy, much safer, I changed into dry clothes and then motored off to another spot. I repaired the anchor and slung it out again, it held this time. The seal trip boats knowing the tide was going too fast for us to motor back had all offered us a tow back but I declined, determined to stay out for the duration, about 8hrs. As the tide went out you could see the bottom clearly and was nice to see the prawns and shrimps swimming around and crabs walking along and feeding. The lagoon drained totally, leaving us high and dry, never expected that. We were at least 10ft below where we first anchored. I had already pulled the dinghy with the wife in it about half a mile before it grounded. Bit like "The African Queen". Where the sea had been, we were now walking around looking for crabs and mussels. The seals had long since disappeared. The wife asked "when is the tide due back in?", "any time now" I replied. Try two and a half hours later, threw my timetable out a bit. "I am going to start walking back to the car" said the wife, "don't be daft" said I "look at that piece of sand and you will see the tide is coming in". "You're just saying that to placate me" said the wife. "Get back in the dinghy quick, we are off". The tide came in that fast we were floating in about three minutes, another five and we were motoring back to Morston quay. By the time we hooked back up to the car it was pitch black and I still had 60 miles to get to Travelodge. We had set off at five thirty in the morning and got to our bed at ten at night, we had broken a rowlock, lost an oar, almost drained two batteries and was now tired out. I went to bed and vowed I would sell the dinghy on eBay the next day. My wife does not like boats!!! Waking the next day, the first thing the wife said was, "I rate that day out as one of my top ten experiences in life". We have done many things in our life but that came out of the blue. We have discussed it since and she would like to do it again. Lol, the dinghy is now repaired and waiting for the next trip. This is a very shortened version of our day. We met in Cromer 1966, married in 1967 and still like doing daft things, just getting a bit old in the bones and feeling it now. But we still love life and each other and trust each other. Happy Just in asking, HAS ANYBODY GOT A SPARE SET OF OARS THEY DO NOT NEED? Lol Cheers
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 7:20pm  

Brilliant tale John! Thumbs up And thank you to everyone.... Cliff, Morgana, Adrian, Dreamtime, Norm and Dutchman, for all your kind wishes, they truly are appreciated. ... its been a lovely day Smile And Philip, you've still got tomorrow to look forward to! Happy
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 10:25pm  

You're very welcome Tony and hope you both had a wonderful day.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
15 of 100  Thu 6th Sep 2012 10:35pm  

I too enjoyed your venture especially about the seals, wonderful creatures. As for OARS lol I think now the gold medals have all been won I'm sure there are lots not being used for a while.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 100 posts

Page 1 of 7

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

The view from my window
|

Next (newer) topic

Sorry state
You are viewing topics in the News, Media and Current Affairs category