Topic categories:

King Henry VIII Grammar School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1351 to 1353 of 1353 posts

Page 91 of 91

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 .... 75 .... 80 .... 85 . 87 88 89 90 91
No actionNo action
1353 posts:
Order:    

Last of the Inkers
Windsor
All posts by this member
1351 of 1353  Tue 21st Mar 2017 7:39pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:201

Hello Rob, I would second Bags' suggestion about a 'Childhood Comic Heroes' thread, if that can be arranged. Or maybe 'Childhood Comics' as a more general topic. As regards the recent submissions that are very, very, very loosely based on the history of the school and how efforts might be made to uncover the 'real story' - um - here is my suggestion. I think they should go in the Non-Coventry category. How about a thread entiltled 'Education, Educashun, Ejukashun'? That seems suitably silly! Thank you. Thumbs up Edited by member, 21st Mar 2017 9:02 pm
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
1352 of 1353  Wed 22nd Mar 2017 11:15am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:462

`O Sage, I second that, at least the second bit. After "chicks own" I wasn`t allowed comics, although in my Dundee spell of life I did live opposite one of the editors/designer (?) of the Beano and Dandy and actually worked with his son.
Slim
Coventry a bit
All posts by this member
1353 of 1353  Mon 27th Mar 2017 8:48am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:371

Our physics lessons with Ron Hough were normally held in P3, which was one of the erstwhile buildings that looked as if it might have been used by the military in WW1. However, on one occasion, P3 was out of commission (essential maintenance, re-decoration or something) so we had been assigned to a different lab which was upstairs in what was known as the "New" Science Block. Ron Hough was an excellent teacher, not without an appropriate sense of humour. If you worked well, he praised you. He was also very strict, did not tolerate any tomfoolery or cheek, and had an explosive temper at the first sign of anyone acting up. Nobody wanted to incur his wrath. Back to the change of venue. As a few of us had just walked into the upstairs lab, there was an almighty bang, like a bomb going off, just outside on the landing. Ron Hough's face suffused with the red of anger, and he stormed out onto the landing. We all expected some poor boy to be on the receiving end. What had actually happened was that a member of staff, a lab steward, was the culprit. He was a quiet, inoffensive, meek and mild, wizened, diminutive chap wearing spectacles and a white coat, who looked out of place in the school - he would have been more at home on the film set of a Carry On film. One had to feel sorry for him. He was at the top of a stepladder, and had been attempting to lift down an object from the top shelf of one of the glass fronted cabinets. The object in question was some sort of large cathode ray tube used in physics. Obviously an expensive item, it was now smashed into several hundred pieces of broken glass all over the landing! On seeing what had happened, Ron Hough stopped in his tracks, gave a nonplussed look, said nothing, and returned to the lab.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1351 to 1353 of 1353 posts

Page 91 of 91

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 .... 75 .... 80 .... 85 . 87 88 89 90 91
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Sky Blue song
|

Next (newer) topic

Retirement
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 70ms)