Topic categories:

King Henry VIII Grammar School

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1381 to 1386 of 1386 posts

Page 93 of 93

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 .... 75 .... 80 .... 85 ... 89 90 91 92 93
No actionNo action
1386 posts:
Order:    

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
1381 of 1386  Tue 17th Oct 2017 6:26pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

On 16th Oct 2017 8:31pm, forgotten most of this said: I also did not like Taffy or Vent. The only thing I remember about Jeff was his glasses which were rimless octagonal lenses I think. I had him a few times for French and he was not interested in me since it was never a good subject for me, and I was not in any cricket or rugger teams, so I was written off. Years later he got in touch with my parents in some sort of plea for funds for the school wrapped up in an old boy get together, but I told my Mum to tell him I wasn't interested. Taffy did look for trouble and got pleasure from handing it out.
You and I are definitely in agreement here. I was never taught by either Jeff Vent or Taffy James. I managed to stay off Vent's radar throughout my days there, although I suspect now that he knew who I was, since he seemed to know who everyone was. I remember his glasses, and also his crepe soled shoes that enabled him to seem to appear from nowhere around the school. Someone (possibly you Wink) gave him the nickname 'Sneakysoles'. James was a different proposition. Although I never entered a classroom in which he taught, he earmarked me around the Lower 5th. He would get apoplectic if I happened to not be bothering to listen in assembly, where he would skulk around near the back looking for people ignoring proceedings and chatting. I recall one day where he dragged me and another lad aside as we left the hall and hopped around shouting at us "You ruined my assembly!" I refrained from suggesting there was nothing to ruin, but from then on he knew who I was. As you say, he loved looking for trouble. This resulted in some pranks being played on him for which we were never caught. Have you forgotten most of that? Lol
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
1382 of 1386  Tue 17th Oct 2017 6:58pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:215

There were a few rag mags drawn up featuring Vent as a snail. - Slimy Jeff he was known as. Piggy Shaw was also featured with Cazalet as Butch Cazalet and the Sundance Pig. Perhaps Bags might be able to add a few more?
Bags
Saltash
All posts by this member
1383 of 1386  Wed 18th Oct 2017 4:40am  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:102

Sorry I don't remember those. The only Rag Mags I remember were from the University. They were considered very racy, rude and daring for the time, early to mid 70s. I always got on OK with Piggy, never had a problem with him. Don't know why, but he was always quite nice to me.
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
1384 of 1386  Wed 18th Oct 2017 10:03am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:215

I didn't ever have a problem with Piggy either. He was kind enough to lend me my bus fare home after my bus-pass and money were stolen from the gym changing rooms when I was a 3rd former. I paid him back the very next day. He seemed surprised, but always remembered me after that. The mags that were produced were actually quite funny, if rather disrespectful to some of the less than popular staff.
Bags
Saltash
All posts by this member
1385 of 1386  Wed 18th Oct 2017 1:03pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2013  Total posts:102

I'd like to have seen those. I wonder what proportion of staff were as you say less than popular compared to those who were popular? Have to be careful about names though, don't want to get in too much trouble. Naming the popular ones should be OK though.
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
1386 of 1386  Thu 19th Oct 2017 7:20am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:370

On 16th Oct 2017 8:31pm, forgotten most of this said: The only thing I remember about Jeff was his glasses which were rimless octagonal lenses I think........ Years later he got in touch with my parents in some sort of plea for funds for the school wrapped up in an old boy get together, but I told my Mum to tell him I wasn't interested.
Which reminds me of the class reunion, which I believe was 25 years after starting in the main school. The invitation was sent in the post to my parents' house. My old pal and I had intended to go, but my pal was offended because his name had been missed off the list completely. I wrote to Jeff, pointing out several names that I knew of that were missing from our year, and he replied, saying "proof that I have completely come off my trolley". Nonetheless, my friend did not attend, preferring to leave the past in the past. In addition to a student list, there was a staff list; many of whom were by now either retired or deceased. Sadly, two of the boys from our year were deceased within a year of leaving school.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 1381 to 1386 of 1386 posts

Page 93 of 93

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 .... 30 .... 35 .... 40 .... 45 .... 50 .... 55 .... 60 .... 65 .... 70 .... 75 .... 80 .... 85 ... 89 90 91 92 93
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Frederick Bird School
|

Next (newer) topic

Warwick Lane
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 69ms)