No actionNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
16 of 23  Sat 4th Apr 2015 11:15pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:147

John Wright: I was born in 1951. My brother Allen was born in 1942. He remembers Peggy's Park when the pond was still there. Says they used to sink 50 gallon oil drums in it & connect them with planks of wood and made an "instant" adventure playground (until the council filled it in) I remember Lawrence Johnson who lived around 7 Evelyn Avenue but don't remember his parents names although I used to see Lol's mum walking the dogs regularly. 1 Evelyn Avenue was the Brogan family (daughter Susan born around 1943). Next few houses were Evans : Mickey Evans born around 1943, started Westminster Insurance, his mum had very blond hair), then was the Hart family (my brother still sees Colin Hart (born around 1940) regularly). Johnsons lived next door. Opposite at No 2 was Alice Bigham (Breslin), a really lovely lady who I knew for around 50 years (she worked at Dunlop at same time as me). She was married about 3 times & had kids (Alwyn Trow, June & Kerry Bigham and Kathleen & John Breslin).
Foleshill Gas Works
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
17 of 23  Sun 5th Apr 2015 7:09am  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:131

Hi Derrickarthur. Sorry for thinking you were born in 1942, I got you mixed up with someone else. I knew Lawrence Johnson too, he was the brother of Reg Johnson who I asked you about, he lived next door to Reg at No.9 Evelyn Avenue. Lol died quite young and it was an awful blow to everyone. I also knew Kerry Bigham, he was in the same class at Windmill Road School as me. I think that he lived on the opposite side of the road to Jean and Reg Johnson but before they were married and moved there. My sister Jean was married to Reg Johnson, that's how I knew Lol. I remember when Lol's son got his first ferret and had trouble handling it at first. Although I cannot remember when there was a pond in Peggy's Park, I do remember that we used to call it Peggy's Pond, we never did ask why!
Foleshill Gas Works
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
18 of 23  Sun 5th Apr 2015 5:12pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2534

Hi, I go back much farther than you guys, and we had gas for everything, cooking, lighting, and collected coke for heating, so depended on the gas works completely, so I shouldn't really complain about the gas works. I imagine you would have had electric in your day. Once a month in the summer I would ride my bike to the bone mill and collect bonemeal for a neighbour who gave me a few sweets, but better still he gave me tuition in greenhouse plants that still stands good today. Can't remember if I went through Longford in those days to the mill, but my it did 'pong'. Way back around 1940 time every Thursday morning we had to go across the park from Foxford to Windmill Road School for woodwork. Sometimes the fields were flooded, like the slough it had a little white rickety wooden bridge where I liked to stop and let my thoughts run free.
Foleshill Gas Works
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
19 of 23  Sun 5th Apr 2015 8:33pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:131

Hi Kaga Simpson. No we did not all have electricity in our homes. We only ever had gas for cooking and lighting, and any room without a gas supply we used candles. I do remember coming home to a dark house and having to light the mantle. Not the good old days! For you to get to the bone mill from Windmill Road on your bike you could have gone at least one of three ways. From Longford go up to the end of Lady Lane, follow footpath past the tip, over the canal on pedestrian bridge, over the railway bridge and into Judds Lane. Or up Arbury Avenue, turn right at Elmsdale Avenue, then right down Bedlam Lane to bone mill. Or instead of going up Arbury Avenue, go up the Black Pad behind the avenue and next to gas works to Peggy's Park, through the park to the bottom at Bedlam Lane and the level crossing then carry on to the bone mill The "rickety" bridge you speak of must have been replaced by a sturdier one at sometime for when I knew it, it crossed the river Sowe in Longford Park. It is interesting to hear that you had to go to Windmill Road School for woodworking lessons. When I was in the seniors at Windmill Road, later to become Longford Park Secondary Modern, we had to go to Ford Street School near Pool Meadow. I remember our woodwork teacher, a Mr Pettifer.
Foleshill Gas Works
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
20 of 23  Mon 6th Apr 2015 7:52pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:50

When I was at school at Windmill Rd in the mid forties we went to Foxford School, metalwork one week and woodwork the next. Foxford had a good spin bowler who played for England in later years, I think his name was Brian Cartwright.
Foleshill Gas Works
arthur p
burbage leic
All posts by this member
21 of 23  Tue 7th Apr 2015 7:45am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:50

On reflection suddenly realised the cricketer was Tom Cartwright and not Brian who was a professional boxer from Birmingham. Sorry about the senior moment.
Foleshill Gas Works
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
22 of 23  Tue 7th Apr 2015 4:51pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2534

Arthur p, few days back I asked Midland Red if he knew a guy called Chatter played for the county cricket club back in the forties, but you got the guy I meant, Tommy Cartwright, slip of memory. Tommy lived about ten doors away from the Miners Arms but on the other side of the road in Aldermans Green Rd, little older than me. If you look at the picture of the huts down the slough, you can see the back of his house. Sorry for the misuse of the topic.
Foleshill Gas Works
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
23 of 23  Tue 7th Apr 2015 6:25pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:899

Tom Cartwright made his Warwickshire debut at Trent Bridge in 1952 but didn't become a regular until 1955. He seems to have started as a batsman and didn't bowl a first class ball until 1955. He left Warwickshire at the end of the 1969 season but continued to play until as late as 1977 for Somerset and finally Glamorgan. At his peak he regularly took over 100 wickets per season, usually at well under 20 each, so it is perhaps strange he only played 5 test matches. My personal memory is that he once bought our old washing machine when my father bought a new one. He was a friend of a workmate of my father and I do recall he lived on Aldermans Green Road. I believe cricketers were quite badly paid in those days.
Foleshill Gas Works

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Leicester Street Industrial Home for Girls
|

Next (newer) topic

Wyre Farm Camp School