No actionNo action
33 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
31 of 33  Thu 5th Sep 2019 3:05pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1629

Hi Millie Wave In 1850 there were no buildings on White Street between the Swanswell Gate and the pool. There were a few houses (3 plus two other buildings) opposite Swanswell Pool but by 1888 they'd been demolished and a City Mill had been built. Does that help?
Swanswell Pool
millie
wales
All posts by this member
32 of 33  Fri 8th Nov 2019 2:29pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2017  Total posts:2

Hi Helen, sorry I’ve only just seen your reply which I thank you for. The three houses plus two other buildings maybe what I’m looking for! This little photographic studio would have opened in 1862. I’d be interested to know more about these buildings? Thanks again.
Swanswell Pool
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
33 of 33  Sun 10th Nov 2019 12:12pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1629

Hi millie Below is a rough map of were the properties were in 1850. The leftmost is small and might not be a house plus it didn't date back as far as 1750. The same applies to the left hand side of the block of 3. The middle one had a front door in the centre and a set of steps out the back directly opposite the front door. Georgian? The area sloped down quite a bit from the road - hence it's suitability to be a mill. The right hand side of the 3 had a door more to the right hand end and a shed out the back which I've drawn on. Older, converted buildings were often less regular than Georgian properties but new ones with shops were also unbalanced. So that building might be older or newer than the one in the middle. The dividing wall at the back however puts the shed on the side of the middle house. It looks like they might have all been one property and then divided up. There were significant gardens at the back with lawns, trees and beds including veg. The 1750 map shows something in the area but it's impossible to tell if it's the 2nd or 3rd building of the group of 3 or even both. The next property looks fairly large also with a shed, that I didn't include. The property was accesses via a path with steps on its eastern edge. It also had gardens. Directly to the east of this building and the path was the Swanswell Mill. A very old and impressive structure. Both buildings were there in 1820 but the mill had been demolished by 1850. The final small building off the road is a bath house So I'd guess the shop was one or more of the group of 3.
Swanswell Pool

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 33 of 33 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Weather & Blether
|

Next (newer) topic

Weavers of Coventry