Next pageLast page
34 posts:
Order:    

IslandCafe
Modbury, Devon
All posts by this member
1 of 34  Fri 16th Apr 2010 2:35pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:86

Strolling past the Swanswell recently (on Google Earth street view) reminded me of times around 70 years ago when, for a rare treat, I was allowed to hire a pedal boat at a cost of around tuppence for fifteen minutes. I say a rare treat as tuppence was money we could ill afford in those days (and with no "elf & safety" to worry us). Afterwards I would stand with my mum on the pavement looking through the railings at the big fish, (carp I think) that used to swarm around an inlet pipe that I think came from the old mill. What I would like to know is, are there still fish in the Swanswell to this day or are they like most things, ie. disappeared?
Alan

Swanswell Pool
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 34  Fri 16th Apr 2010 7:03pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andymcgeechan/532390051/ Looks like there were still some left in 2007. I don't really think the "Eastern Europeans" in Hillfields have eaten them all as one of the comments suggests.
Swanswell Pool
IslandCafe
Modbury, Devon
All posts by this member
3 of 34  Sat 17th Apr 2010 10:19am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:86

Thank you BrotherJoybert for leading me to the fish photos, I was amazed to see they are still there. And as for the suggestion that certain people may have eaten them. Well! as if they would...
Alan

Swanswell Pool
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
4 of 34  Sat 17th Apr 2010 8:29pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3033

Not old enough to remember boats on the Swanswell but do remember fishing for tiddlers with a butterfly net and keeping them in a jam jar with string tied around the top for a handle. Also remember the section of the pool which was fenced-off to allow fire engines to fill up and the playground with that dragon ride thingy which used to rock up and down.
Swanswell Pool
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 34  Sun 18th Apr 2010 2:08am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

Am pleased to report that Quinton Pool in Cheylesmore still has fish: http://www.youtube.com/v/ua0TGDaO3-Q
Swanswell Pool
peterw

All posts by this member
6 of 34  Wed 20th Apr 2011 5:53am  
Total posts:43

I remember the Swanswell, I remember it very well, because I fell in one day and when I got home my mum gave me the biggest hiding I had ever had, it still hurts today HA HA HA. Peter.
Swanswell Pool
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
7 of 34  Sun 8th May 2011 8:01pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3862

My mothers shop was located in White St. I often waited for a lift home there walking from the Grammar School. It was very pleasant to sit in fair weather afternoons & complete my homework before I reached home. Shops did not shut until 6pm in those days, except Thursdays which was half day closing. Does anyone remember the Milk Bar Cafe? Only a few doors away from my mum's shop.
Swanswell Pool
Wighter
Isle of Wight
All posts by this member
8 of 34  Wed 8th Jun 2011 12:39am  
Member: Joined Oct 2011  Total posts:34

I was raised in George St for a while during my early childhood. I remember the "Bon Bon" sweet shop on the corner of Stoney Stanton Rd and Harnall Lane. It was there for years!
Swanswell Pool
berjay
Bewdley Worcs.
All posts by this member
9 of 34  Wed 17th Jul 2013 5:33pm  
Member: Joined May 2013  Total posts:23

When I was a Coventry kid if any one was asked where they would be going for their holidays, and they really couldn't afford it, they would say "St Marks Bay" Ring any bells ?
Swanswell Pool
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
10 of 34  Wed 17th Jul 2013 6:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:878

Wasn't there a church in Bird Street which backed on to the Swanswell? I believe it was St Mark's, as later it became a clinic connected to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital, which I'm fairly sure was known as St Mark's Annexe. I had to take my father there once to see some consultant. When I was at school, the nickname for the Swanswell was the 'Indian Ocean'. Oh my
Swanswell Pool
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
11 of 34  Wed 17th Jul 2013 6:12pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:847

The old building is still there. My wife also used to go there to see her consultant. I do not know if it is still used by the Hospital Thumbs up
Milly rules

Swanswell Pool
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
12 of 34  Wed 17th Jul 2013 9:42pm  
Off-topic / chat  

dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
13 of 34  Thu 18th Jul 2013 3:03am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3033

On 17th Jul 2013 6:12pm, NormK said: The old building is still there. My wife also used to go there to see her consultant. I do not know if it is still used by the Hospital Thumbs up
There is no hospital any more Norm, it's functions were largely taken over by the newly constructed Hillfields Health Centre. St Mark's might still be used to store old records but is boarded-up, often vandalised and looks completely abandoned to me? Likewise the few remaining hospital buildings. The latter look to me as if they could be converted to other uses but as far as I can tell are already earmarked for demolition.
Swanswell Pool
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
14 of 34  Thu 18th Jul 2013 7:57am  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:334

On 8th May 2011 8:01pm, PhilipInCoventry said: Does anyone remember the Milk Bar Cafe? Only a few doors away from my mum's shop.
Hi Philip, I don't remember the Milk Bar Cafe but my uncle had a carpet shop in White St. called 'Lewis Parsons' which moved to New Union St. after the demolition. I wonder if there are any old photos which show it. On another point referring to a previous posting on this string, like Dutchman I too used to fish for tiddlers in Swanswell Pool during the summer hols and put them in a jam jar! (either there or Hearsall Common - the 'bushy' one as it was known)
Swanswell Pool
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
15 of 34  Thu 18th Jul 2013 4:35pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3862

Hi Wearethemods, Wave Hi & thank you. There are some pictures of White St. on the library pictures page: The pictures include both my aunt's & my mum's shop, but my mum's shop had been taken over on a short lease & had been modified at the front by 1959. I seem to remember the milk bar cafe, on a corner. It only stands out in my memory because I had my first ever milk-shake in there. Can anyone else help on this please.
Swanswell Pool

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 34 posts

Page 1 of 3

1 2 3
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Coventry builders
|

Next (newer) topic

Part of Birmingham
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 94ms)