No actionNo action
23 posts:
Order:    

MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
16 of 23  Wed 26th Sep 2012 10:10pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:891

I doubt that was ever the smallest house in England. My great-uncle lived in a house that was once claimed to be England's smallest house in the 1920s/30s, located at 95 High Street, Wavertree, Liverpool, and my late father used to visit there regularly. It is now incorporated in the pub next door, but the frontage is still there.
St John's Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
17 of 23  Thu 27th Sep 2012 9:11am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:909

Morning, yes I agree with you, I noticed that in 1891, No 1, 16 Court, St. John St, there was an Electroplater and his wife and there was ample room for an 8 year old Boarder! I have linked an archaeological report because it seemed significant. St. John Street Archaeology.
St John's Street
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
18 of 23  Fri 28th Sep 2012 6:27pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:287

Great photos-thanks! Cheers
St John's Street
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
19 of 23  Tue 2nd Oct 2012 4:05am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

On 27th Sep 2012 9:11am, Foxcote said: I have linked an archaeological report because it seemed significant.
The "St John's Street" mentioned in the article isn't the same "St John's Street" in the photographs Foxcote. A new road was constructed more recently and named "St John's Street". It runs parallel to the original but is not in the same location. I believe the excavation site was quickly covered over again and is now the headquarters of Severn Trent Water. Also be aware that the original "St John's Street" was very much narrower than it appears in most of the photos. One of the "Memories" articles here suggests the upper stories of opposing jutted timber frames buildings were "almost touching", so narrow was the gap between them! Oh my
St John's Street
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
20 of 23  Tue 2nd Oct 2012 8:52am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:909

I didn't realise that there was another St John's and so near. I was aware of the how close those jettied buildings were, it made it so easy for fires to engulf both sides of streets in the old days so quickly. and after the 'Great fires' in Warwick and London, planning laws were in force to widen roads and not use timber constructions/ thatch for the new buildings.
St John's Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
21 of 23  Thu 3rd May 2018 1:54am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1125

Picture of court 13 in St John's Street This rare picture is supposed to be Spon Street but it's not. It would probably have been known as Windsor's Yard at the time of the photographs. It was behind the British Queen on the south side. Same court but further from the street If Neil or someone with Facebook could let the person who owns them let them know where they are, it would be nice. I'd be happy to help with any others. Smile Edited by member, 3rd May 2018 7:59 am
St John's Street
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
22 of 23  Thu 3rd May 2018 11:08am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1815

Thanks Helen - will do. The Bygone Spon End FB page owner seems to appreciate people letting them know where things are as they very often do not know themselves. BTW what was the 'British Queen?' Edited by member, 3rd May 2018 11:09 am
St John's Street
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
23 of 23  Thu 3rd May 2018 11:28am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1125

Thanks Neil. I'm still working on the other two photos from that group but they're pretty featureless. The British Queen was a pub. The site has some nice images with new details for my model. Thumbs up
St John's Street

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 23 of 23 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry to be 'Heritage Action Zone'
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Carnivals / Godiva Processions