Next pageLast page
251 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
196 of 251  Wed 22nd Mar 2017 1:28pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3030

There is something very dramatic about the old black and white photos. I like that one, to me it looks as if all the people had frozen in time. Thanks for that one Neil. Thumbs up
Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
197 of 251  Sat 25th Mar 2017 6:19pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1195

Another shot I don't think I have seen before from the newspaper archive
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
198 of 251  Tue 22nd Aug 2017 3:52am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1764

I don't think I've ever seen this view of the Coventry Arms before and that side - the Kings Head just visible on the right.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
199 of 251  Tue 22nd Aug 2017 7:53am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

Brilliant find, Neil Cheers It's great that you're back on nights again Lol Coventry Arms on Real Ale Rambles Thumbs up
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
200 of 251  Tue 22nd Aug 2017 8:53pm  

Thanks Cliff - obviously have a lot of work to do but made sure I have my priorities right Big grin
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
201 of 251  Tue 10th Oct 2017 1:51pm  

Just going back a while to that 'mystery' light - this image reminded of the puzzle - but confirms Rob's detective work - different location I know but almost certainly the same kind of light. Edited by member, 10th Oct 2017 1:51 pm
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
202 of 251  Tue 10th Oct 2017 4:34pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:982

LOL. Even before I read your comment I was thinking 'it's that bl***y lamp post'. Good picture though. As a focal point it wasn't much used and none with any clear lines.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
203 of 251  Sat 25th Nov 2017 5:57am  

Another good aerial shot here during early stages of the development during the last days of the street. Very early work on what would be the M&S building here and interesting to note what was on West Orchard at that time.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
204 of 251  Sat 25th Nov 2017 7:51am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

I guess that's the static water tank top left?
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
205 of 251  Wed 29th Nov 2017 12:00pm  

Probably seen before but interesting to see the final elements of the 'Street' before it became the 'Way'. This one also shows the lines that were Vicar Lane and Market Street, with foundations in early stages for Broadgate House.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
206 of 251  Wed 29th Nov 2017 1:26pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2077

Long before traffic lights, no parking and no crossing signs I believe Smithford Street was a very narrow street with two way traffic, mostly horse drawn drays and a few new cars, scores of cycles with bells ringing and bustling pedestrians. People sold laces, silks, matches, bobbins of cotton, all from an open case. New cars had klaxon horns that made you jump, and often frightened the horses, so in a crowded, bustling street you had to mind horses rearing, carts backing wheels on pavements, bike bells, traders yelling, and kids like us dashing in and out of the crowd. The Burges was two-way traffic, the clanging jangling trams sweeping down from Broadgate, scores of people, old ladies dodging across the road between the trams, had you holding your breath if they were going to make it. Shops with wide open doorways, different aromas, people with gaily knitted shopping bags that were more pleasant than plastic. Shopkeepers that were friendly and had time to pass the time of day, and so much more. Made to a whole lot of excitement and shopping a pleasure and not a chore.
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
207 of 251  Thu 30th Nov 2017 9:50am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:528

Kaga you have a gift. The ability to set a scene and stimulate the imagination of others (well mine at least), but your description of the hustle bustle of a street scene during a past period, does remind me what I do when all pictures of street scenes of Coventry in all threads are published is to look at the "detail" and wonder what the characters are about. But you have also given me a reminder, I know somewhere in a dusty old box full of family photos, there is one of my mother taken I think in a Coventry street, before WW2 by one of those people who used to take snaps of people and then give you a ticket to go and buy it later. I must look it out, it will show not just only her, but it is also what happens to be in the background I would like to see. Thanks Kaga, please keep the good work up. Mods' note: This post has created discussion off-topic, and therefore has been copied, with responses, into a new thread "What photographs can reveal"
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
208 of 251  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 6:49pm  

An auction lot of Francis Frith photos, including Stratford, Guy's Cliff Mill and what I think must be a very early Smithford Street in pretty good nick. It's similar to several in the library but looks like it was taken early in the morning. Get a copy while it's still there because it won't last. Temporary link to image of Smithford Street. Edited by member, 3rd Dec 2017 6:54 pm
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
209 of 251  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 10:49pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1311

That really is a super shot of Smithford Street. Shame the photos aren't being sold individually though - can you see anyone spending their "estimated" $500 - $700 on just 12 images?
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
210 of 251  Sun 3rd Dec 2017 11:25pm  

The minimum bid is $250, so I dunno, maybe people will buy it for the Stratford one or maybe they're just testing the water.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 210 of 251 posts

Page 14 of 17

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .. 13 14 15 16 17
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

!! Happy Birthday !!
|

Next (newer) topic

Robert Hawkey, Coventry Olympian