Next pageLast page
258 posts:
Order:    

NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
226 of 258  Thu 1st Mar 2018 5:28pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1776

This shot has been seen before but I've not noted it in colour before showing the City Arms on the corner of West Orchard Thumbs up And zoomed in - Edited by member, 1st Mar 2018 5:30 pm
Local History and Heritage - Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)
AD
Allesley Park
All posts by this member
227 of 258  Thu 1st Mar 2018 8:01pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2011  Total posts:409

Everytime I see shots like that above during the precinct construction I think "why wasn't the precinct designed to have St Johns as the feature at the east end to counteract the cathedral spire to the west?" Instead we got this totally arbitrary E-W alignment that leads the lower precinct out into nowhere, eventually covered over with Mercia House which has little aesthetic appeal or detail AND covers the route. Egos of architects and planners eh......?
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
228 of 258  Fri 9th Mar 2018 12:41pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1215

This was the plan in 1938.
IMPROVEMENT PLAN IN SMITHFORD STREET Markets Committee Recommend Sale of Valuable Site DEMOLITION OF CORN EXCHANGE AS AID TO SHOPPING CENTRE Subject to the consent of Coventry City Council, on Tuesday, the Markets Committee will shortly carry into effect a scheme whereby they will dispose of a large and valuable site, on a 99 years' lease, in Smithford Street, enabling a further improvement to be made in one of the most popular shopping centres in the city. The scheme includes the demolition of the Corn Exchange and the widening of the Drinkwater Arcade. The properties belonging to the Markets Committee referred to are those which comprise the block between the White Lion Hotel and Market Street, and also certain properties on the west side of Market Street. Part of the property was recently leased to British Home Stores Ltd., whose new premises are now nearing completion. Regarding the property between the White Lion Hotel and the British Home Stores, the Committee recently invited offers for a building lease on conditions generally similar to those of the British Home Stores, and the most favourable offer recommended to the Council for acceptance is that from Cardigan Estates Ltd., of London. DRINKWATER ARCADE WIDENING The ground-floor space available, after allowing for a widening of Drinkwater Arcade, is approximately 637 square yards, and the lessees will have the right to erect buildings, from first-floor level upwards, over parts of Drinkwater Arcade of an area of approximately 94 square yards. All the properties on the land, except the Corn Exchange, are used as retail shops. Four are let on leases, which will expire in 1940, and the remainder are let on annual or shorter tenancies. The annual rents from these properties amount to £1,027. As regards the Corn Exchange, it will be necessary to obtain the consent of the Minister of Health to the proposed lease, for the scheme includes the demolition of that building. It is intended to provide alternative accommodation for those who use the Corn Exchange on Fridays in the Market Hall, where rooms are available. PREMIUM OF £28,000 The full recommendation to the Council proposes that, subject to the consent of the Minister of Health, Cardigan Estates Ltd. be granted a building lease on payment of a premium of £28,000 and an annual rent of £100. The company are to make their own arrangements for obtaining vacant possession of the properties and are, in any event, to start the demolition work as soon as the last of the leases expire in September 1940, thereafter to proceed with their building scheme. The company are to construct a new roof of a type to be approved by the Corporation over the widened Drinkwater Arcade, the cost of which will be borne by the Corporation, but which the company will maintain. ELEVATIONS OF NEW BUILDINGS The elevations of the new buildings are to be of terracotta or brick with stone facings, and they are to be the same height as the British Home Stores premises. The Corporation are to bear the cost of paving and lighting the Arcade, and in all other respects the conditions of the lease are to be similar to those contained in the agreement with British Home Stores Ltd.
Post copied from topic Drinkwater Arcade on 9th Mar 2018 1:04 pm
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
229 of 258  Fri 9th Mar 2018 2:57pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:360

I remember Smithford St looking like this, and the white building was part of the old Co-op before moving to Corporation Street. There was an entrance around the corner where one went to collect the dividend on purchases.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
230 of 258  Sun 11th Mar 2018 2:36pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:360

Rob, that 1807 map is magnificent, and one can see how the city developed with White Street, Ford Street, Fairfax Street to come later. Really interesting, Thank you!
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
231 of 258  Sun 11th Mar 2018 8:04pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1314

Thank you so much Prof, you're very kind. I've always found maps fascinating from a young age, and I love the way they pull so many aspects of our city together geographically and historically.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
232 of 258  Mon 12th Mar 2018 9:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2125

Prof, you should remember the photo on 226, the tatty eyesore scene was there for over twenty years.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
233 of 258  Tue 13th Mar 2018 5:26pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2125

In those distant days it seemed to take a considerable time for the development of the Precinct. Around 1955 they seemed to be making progress then it seemed to stop - two shops down from Woolworth's new shop on the one side, on the other the Leofric was built and open, but from there down were heaps of rubble and derelict buildings, held in by a wire fence. Then the wire was replaced by wooden hoarding - was it because diplomats from other countries were to visit? Then M&S was built, and time went by. I believe the pub mentioned was dingy, tatty and had waterlogged basements, as did other shops in the lower half of the Precinct. But no one was going to waste money on them - they should have been bulldozed and made safe.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
234 of 258  Wed 2nd May 2018 10:31am  

Here's the demolition of the building Anne showed us in post 197 - the clipping that Anne had stated this was 1934 Edited by member, 2nd May 2018 10:32 am
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
235 of 258  Wed 2nd May 2018 11:03am  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:341

More sadness! :(
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
236 of 258  Wed 2nd May 2018 11:33am  
Member: Joined Dec 2012  Total posts:115

On 2nd May 2018 10:31am, NeilsYard said: Here's the demolition of the building Anne showed us in post 197 - the clipping that Anne had stated this was 1934 Edited by member, 2nd May 2018 10:32 am
How do my old photo's seem to end up on here, before I've even had chance to finish posting them everywhere for all to see myself? I've even got Facebook users "CAROLINE WRIGHT" and "STEVE QUINN" etc. copying and posting them elsewhere!!! I honestly don't mind them or anyone else doing it, just as long as I am credited for the photo belonging to my own personal collection! ("ANNOYANCE" & "FRUSTRATION" ended then!). From now on though, I think I shall either have to put a "DO NOT COPY" over the front of them (which obviously will spoil the look of the photo?), or just not bother to post any old photo's altogether, which would be a shame to every innocent party on here (and beyond), as there are still plenty more to see and I do enjoy reading the comments and any feedback full stop that I get back from them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
237 of 258  Wed 2nd May 2018 12:08pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1005

It is a problem and I understand your frustration. I try to link to wherever I find pictures and don't upload them. Often I advise people to visit the link if I think the picture belongs to the person who hosts them and don't display the picture at all. I sometimes end up writing a confusing screed about a picture I haven't shown. At least if we publish a link then the owner can trace them back and object to the original posting. The disadvantage for future readers is that pictures might then be removed and the link here vanishes leaving a gap. Tough. You have an absolute right to control your pictures, which is why I also advise people to enjoy linked pictures while they can. The problem of an image being copied many times is that it's hard to work out who is the originator. The problem of being pipped to posting the image, I'm probably guilty of that. Neil, I and several others are on permanent trawl for new pictures. Sorry if I've trodden on your toes. Sad
CKV 1D
COVENTRY
All posts by this member
238 of 258  Wed 2nd May 2018 1:09pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2012  Total posts:115

You're OK Helen F and not a problem, it's just that it's so frustrating at times, but I guess it's inevitable for these things to happen from time to time? Anyway, not to worry hey!!!!!! Xxx
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
239 of 258  Thu 3rd May 2018 1:44am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1005

Thanks CKV.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
240 of 258  Thu 3rd May 2018 11:25am  

CKV - I tend to highlight images on here from Facebook as not many Historic Coventry members have access or use FB. The very nature of the internet is that is it open-world so sharing is really how the web works in effect. Apols if you say this was your image though I have to say I have seen it before on several other sites some time ago and even in a book. The two users you mention are not on here.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 226 to 240 of 258 posts

Page 16 of 18

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 ... 14 15 16 17 18
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Foleshill Road
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry photo collections on the Internet
You are viewing topics in the Local History and Heritage category