No actionNo action
230 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
226 of 230  Tue 5th Dec 2017 11:36pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:792

I bet what happened, he took the first photos during the day. Developed them and was disappointed by the number of ghosts, where people moved during the shot. So he got up really early on a summer's day to catch the street with nobody in the shot. Only there's a drunk on the corner who hasn't even made his way to bed yet. Lol
Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
227 of 230  Wed 6th Dec 2017 9:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

Yes on paper my post looked a bit harsh considering all the work and effort you all put in to produce the pictures. It just seems strange to me that a bridge was called ram bridge, when all I knew was that at the beginning of the twentieth century cottages had perhaps only one little luxury, which was one forlorn cold tap in the scullery, probably provided by a ram of uncertain temper whose working invariably went wrong. Yes I bow to your expert knowledge. Hey wait a minute, I have one over on you. I had drinks in the White Lion, it had no real street, no frontage, scarred all over, among rubble bits of wire and broken timber, really like no mans land. Cheers Cheers
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
228 of 230  Wed 6th Dec 2017 10:26am  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:792

We know where you were coming from Kaga. I'm also fairly sure that the Ram bridge was connected to water management at that point. I just have to remember where I read the information.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
229 of 230  Wed 6th Dec 2017 11:37am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1047

Looking through the newspaper archives there were baths and a swimming pool at Ram Bridge mentioned in various years in the early 19th century. The adverts were usually to say that the baths were re-opened. Would they have been closed for cleaning or some other reason ? It says that the swimming pool was heated by steam. There is also mention in 1930 of “The Ram” at Ram Bridge, Moses Iorns was taken into custody at The Ram, Ram Bridge for being in posession of a stolen horse. I think I will go for a “Private ditto “ Edited by member, 6th Dec 2017 7:46 pm
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
230 of 230  Wed 6th Dec 2017 4:46pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1862

Annewiggy, it's absolutely brilliant what you people come up with, think I'll just stand in the corner for a while.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 226 to 230 of 230 posts

Page 16 of 16

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 . 12 13 14 15 16
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry Running Day & Transport Fair - 1 Jan 2018
|

Next (newer) topic

Peeping Tom
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 76ms)