No actionNo action
192 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
181 of 192  Fri 22nd Nov 2019 11:30am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3241

Prof, Your post #168 I believe you were referring to the open well of the basement of Owen’s, about 15ft deep, I think the surround was boarded but it could have been iron sheets In 1945 time Owen’s burnt out store opened some of the ground floor, but I think the building had a ghost-like atmosphere that put off shoppers. Coventry were never going to build something solid before the war ended. After the big raid, Coventry had a mammoth task of clean-up, there was no need to knock Owen’s down when we might have had more raids. First they cleared the streets - in places like the market they just put the rubble in heaps until the war ended, they made sure there were no un-exploded bombs and no one buried. Then dozens of little wooden shacks appeared as shops. Owen’s, Burton’s and other shops cleaned the ground floor rooms and opened with little stock. Earl Street had a number of Nissen huts on one side only, with a temp face the other side, loose walls were knocked down and the buildings left to wait for the end of the war. By late ‘41 the war had changed, Coventry had a lull, I believe London did too. By Sept ‘44 London was attacked by new weapons, the doodle bug and rockets, and Coventry held its breath, but they were not capable of reaching Coventry. By early ‘45 Coventry thought rebuilding was not far away and down came some of the barriers. The new Owen's I believe was only roped off while work was in progress, late ‘48 I think. This is sheer memory on my part.
Owen Owen
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
182 of 192  Fri 22nd Nov 2019 7:58pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1199

Kaga, I think I would agree with that!
Owen Owen
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
183 of 192  Sun 1st Dec 2019 12:00pm  

I was walking up Trinity Street sometime in the late forties. The site to the new Owens was roped off, several men were digging out the trenches for the foundations - several people were looking on. I spotted two teenage girls watching so I crossed the road and stood by them. but an irishman stood by a barrow of dirt polishing an old shrimp paste bottle, a lot of banter began. At that time the centre of the town was a large expanse of waste ground, the feeling was he was going to use it (for you know what!) A voice called “You wouldn't dare” - he smiled, still cleaning the bottle with a piece of rag, suggested he would. A woman screamed “You dirty old sod. I'm fetching the police”. The girl next to me put her hand over her mouth with a gasp. Someone shouted “Go on Paddy, I dare you”. By now a crowd had formed. I laughed - all this in the centre of the city. He lowered the bottle. Screams and gasps. He lowered his right hand. Some kid shouted excitedly “Oh my god, he's going to do it”. Clapping started, but Paddy put his right hand in his trouser pocket, pulled out an Irish coin, placed it in the bottle. Now, a lot of ohs, then someone offered him a tanner. He placed it in the bottle. I said to the girl at the side of me “Well, that’s saved you a lot of blushing”. She said "You reckon?” Then people caught on and all sorts of coins were offered of all values. He filled the bottle, screwed on the metal lid, took out a spade of earth in the trench then filled the hole with soil from his barrow, stamped it down and the crowd dispersed. And I had a date fixed with the girl that said “You reckon?”
Owen Owen
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
184 of 192  Wed 11th Dec 2019 11:56am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2459

Does anyone know the exact date the original Coventry Owen Owen store opened?
Owen Owen
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
185 of 192  Wed 11th Dec 2019 12:27pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1617

Friday September 17th 1937 at 11.00am!! Edited by member, 12th Dec 2019 1:44 pm
Owen Owen
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
186 of 192  Thu 12th Dec 2019 12:12pm  

Annewiggy. Brilliant, but what a statement - the store opened in wartime then, not before as thought. This would have different effects. First, a week after the blackout started, we felt the full impact on how it was to alter our lives, car accidents doubled, minor injuries were huge. The huge staff leaving in the dark would be a nightmare. Although rationing hadn't started people were buying and hoarding. Word went round that clothing factories had turned to uniforms - a quarter of the population was in some uniform or other, and clothes would be hard to buy. A big spending spree for people that had money before they sold out. The ‘dark days’ in more ways than one.
Owen Owen
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
187 of 192  Thu 12th Dec 2019 12:58pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3385

Kaga. Not to mention all the knitting that was undone only to be used again for another item. My gran was an expert at that (crinkly balls of wool).
Owen Owen
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
188 of 192  Thu 12th Dec 2019 1:45pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1617

Sorry Kaga, I thought I had edited that, it should read 1937. Senior moment.
Owen Owen
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
189 of 192  Fri 13th Dec 2019 7:56pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:300

On 4th Oct 2012 6:06pm, dutchman said: No, they were based in Liverpool.
Owen Owen was the son of a North Wales sheep farmer, I believe.
Owen Owen
stuarthelenmillar
Radford
All posts by this member
190 of 192  Sat 14th Dec 2019 9:06pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2019  Total posts:2

Fabulous photo, what year would this be, Greg?

Question

Owen Owen
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
191 of 192  Sat 14th Dec 2019 10:06pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1763

Hi, I could be wrong but I assume that Greg's photo was the same date as Midland Red's, give or take a few months - so 1937?
Owen Owen
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
192 of 192  Sun 15th Dec 2019 10:59am  

Midland Red’s photo is the only one of the first Owens, but note it was all barrow and elbow grease even late thirties - opened in 1937. I believe that they wanted to open on the day the first woman flew solo from UK to USA but they got delayed and she flew in 1936.
Owen Owen

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 181 to 192 of 192 posts

Page 13 of 13

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 11 12 13
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Spongate School pupils, 1951-1957
|

Next (newer) topic

Standard, Triumph & related car companies