No actionNo action
340 posts:
Order:    

Malvern
Somerset
All posts by this member
331 of 340  Fri 22nd Sep 2017 9:42am  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:24

Walking along the North Oxford from Sutton Stop in the Brinklow direction, the first small aqueduct you reach is just before Hollyhill bridge (No.19). It's about 4 miles along the canal and is near the B4029 between Ansty and Brinklow. There's another two about half a mile further along next to the railway line and there's another about 3.1/2 miles further on at Brinklow Arches beyond Stretton Stop. Hope this helps! Not sure how far you would have walked, although a 16 mile round trip sounds quite a long way!!
Malvern

Canals around Coventry
johnwright
combe martim
All posts by this member
332 of 340  Fri 22nd Sep 2017 6:53pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2014  Total posts:124

Thank you Malvern for your reply re the aqueducts near Brinklow. I don't know which I remember visiting, but I now know where to look. You say that a 16 mile round trip was a long way to walk. but walk we did, As I have said, I am surprised at how far we did use to walk as kids in the1950s, but we would start out in the morning sometimes and not get back till teatime - starving.
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
333 of 340  Sat 23rd Sep 2017 11:40am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1734

Midland Red, here we go again, reminders of the war. Of all the bridges and all the numbers in the world, and bridge 19 walks back into my life. play it again. My brother and I crossed that very bridge, clambered over the stile into what had been a field of cattle, but four bombs during the night in amongst them - we ran crying, never ever went over that bridge again! Malvern. Sorry, but to me your post had a few hits and a lot of misses, and the word aqueduct meaning. The two you mentioned along the Ansty 'pound' - there were two openings under the canal in the fifties, one a brook that went through a brick built culvert about 2/3 feet in dia; the main water supply coming from the hill at Mobbs Wood. Now this culvert was identical to the one at the start of your journey a few yards from the lock at Sutton Stop, a culvert under the canal it fed the Slough. Approx. a mile further on, just through Tusses Bridge, was another brick built culvert, the brook coming from beyond Lentons Lane, this also fed the Slough. Now the other one was a full blown aqueduct and farm track and entrance to Page's Farm from the Brinklow road, this farm track could take a horse and wagon load of hay through to the farm, also a tractor, a car. But the Italian POWs would not go through in an army lorry, they parked it and walked through. They were clearing that brook of debris in the mid forties. Now you mentioned the arches at Brinklow, but didn't mention the impressive arches at this aqueduct for the railway. Also the massive high bridge that a plane could fly under. I'm hazy about between the Brinklow road and bridge 19, I think there was another culvert, I also think there was what we call a cattle-way, a small brick tunnel under the canal, about six ft wide that allowed cattle to pass through. 80 years ago we called a farm track under the canal an aqueduct, a small water course under the canal a culvert, and a brick built built tunnel we called a cattle-way. Page's Farm stretched between the Brinklow road across to the switchback road at Withybrook. Yes It used to be a lovely walk with a lot of interest, but the new highway? But thanks for your post on this topic. Regards, Kaga.
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
334 of 340  Sat 23rd Sep 2017 12:05pm  

The Ansty pound was a stretch of the canal approx. a mile long that ran between two hills on a man made embankment - knowing the pressure of water on the banks, at each end they narrowed the canal to one boat width, put in grooved stanchions that planks on edge could be placed across the canal to hold back the water should the banks break, but it was built for towing horses, and I don't think it had a serious break, but powered engine boats came about and in the fifties the bank broke flooding the valley! There were allotments, a gun site, a water tunnel under the towpath, that fed hot water into the canal a pipe that fed a cattle trough, stables, pubs, graveyard and numerous interesting things along that part of the Oxford canal.
Canals around Coventry
Malvern
Somerset
All posts by this member
335 of 340  Sat 7th Oct 2017 2:29pm  

Just taken our boat from Rugby to Coventry and back and can confirm that the first major aqueduct is the one at Stretton. There is the small cattleway which is now an underpass for Ansty Golf Course.
Malvern

Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
336 of 340  Sat 7th Oct 2017 5:25pm  

Malvern, hi, If you look at my post 211 it shows a shot of the Ansty pound where the bank had collapsed. Close to there was a aqueduct that went under the canal and railway, this was the only way to Pages Farm, so it was large enough to carry hay wagons through to the farm and it was built when they built the canal. Recently I have heard that the fire brigade said they could not get through with their modern machines, so they built a new entrance to the farm on the switchback lane at Withybrook. There is no way they could have destroyed the aqueduct, they may have filled it in but the brickwork would still be there. Malvern, if you're interested, there are a few other items you could look for along that way, like Canal House, the old canal, the well, the bomb field etc. Anyone interested, look at post 211, the tall bridge in the far distance and imagine a Tiger Moth plane flying under it.
Canals around Coventry
Malvern
Somerset
All posts by this member
337 of 340  Mon 9th Oct 2017 10:05am  

Thanks for that info. I will look out for everything you mention next time we're coming through. The collapse of the embankment explains the two aqueducts in my first post as these are shown in the Nicholsons canal guide but are now no more than culverts, The railway arches are however still clearly visible. They were also doing some flood alleviation work in the fields along this stretch last year!
Malvern

Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
338 of 340  Mon 9th Oct 2017 11:44am  

Malvern, hi. The Canal House at Brinklow I've been told is now a pleasure boat centre. The house stands end on to the canal, it also stands on the two-way slopes of the hill, this means it stands on small brick legs. If you go in the field and look under the house you may find my old bike, it sure knows its way about the towpath between Brinklow and Sutton Stop. Outside the house you will find the canal narrows to one boat width, for planks to be inserted if a breakage occurs through that length, although my young brother and I used to jump across. A few yards on are the showings of the old canal. As you pass near the aqueduct the train veers away from the canal behind the hill, here there was another narrow plank width, but this one had a plank firmly fixed alongside the canal on a swivel, so you had a long pole with a hook to pull the plank across the canal. Here there were two horse stables, one on either side of the canal - on the towpath side there was another Canal House, it was built on the old canal that had been filled in but the old canal was still there behind the house and garden until they built the golf course. This old canal went under the railway round near Withybrook and Mobs Wood and back to near Canal House, Brinklow. Through the cutting nearing the dreaded 19 bridge, at the side of the towpath, was the 'well' - boxed in and locked.
Canals around Coventry
Heathite
Coventry
All posts by this member
339 of 340  Mon 9th Oct 2017 1:29pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2012  Total posts:368

It looks like it's the end on house that is above the 'o' in 'stop. You are a mine of information sir.
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
340 of 340  Tue 10th Oct 2017 4:10pm  

Heathite. Thank you. The inn on the map actually had one bar over the railway lines, it was hard to drink a pint when a train passed underneath. A few years into the twentieth century a boy was walking behind a horse towing a narrow boat, at the tiller was a man called Jack, employed by his father. About two hundred yards further on was a similar boat, the boy's uncle walking behind a horse, at the tiller his aunt. The boy was day dreaming, but brought back to his senses by his uncle's urgent voice shouting instructions. Jack also was shouting, the canal was on the move. Both Jack and his uncle were urging him to release the tow-rope from the horse but the tow-rope was very taut, he could do nothing and now the boat was drifting backwards, pulling the horse backwards and close to the edge of the canal. His uncle had released his horse and was carrying the tow-rope as he ran back. He took a knife from his pocket and slashed the boy's tow-rope just as the horse's hind legs were about to be dragged into the canal. His aunt's boat was now drifting towards the boy's boat at an alarming rate, but once the rope was cut then it too began to go backwards faster. The boy was told to tie the horses to anything to keep them from wandering off. Meanwhile his uncle raced back and tied his tow-rope to a tree - there was a lot of shouting instructions to one another to keep the boats in the deepest water. The water was now dropping in level and racing backwards and pulling both boats with it. Ahead someone had aroused a team to put the planks in. The uncle's boat was now level with the tree and the tow-rope now took the strain, at the same time the boats were scraping the bed of the canal. Jack threw a plank end-on into the water, gave it a push and the plank hit the tow-path. Uncle carried the plank to his boat, placed it from bank to cabin and got his family off the boat. A boatman on a bike approached, told them that the canal had a 'break' the other side of where planks where being put in, the current was now slowing down, the canal was filling up again and the danger was over.
Canals around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 331 to 340 of 340 posts

Page 23 of 23

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 ... 19 20 21 22 23
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Britain from above
|

Next (newer) topic

Smithford Street (inc. Ram Bridge)
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 53ms)