No actionNo action
401 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
391 of 401  Tue 1st Oct 2019 9:40am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3071

NeilsYard, Your first picture on 381 is looking into the basin, the second looking out from the basin, so are they one and the same archways? Are they Foleshill side, or Radford side? Is the photographer inside or outside the basin compound on the one without doors? Neil, I am trying to put them into an early frame of the early 1950's, when the Radford side was completely hidden from view. Neil, I would really appreciate your help. Regards, Kaga.
Canals around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
392 of 401  Tue 1st Oct 2019 10:00am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2265

Hi Kaga. Yes they are the same archways - as mentioned it’s now all covered over and used as a music venue called 'The Tin' although where the stage is is known as 'The Coal Vaults.' You can see them here - Google-Map'ed Edited by member, 1st Oct 2019 10:00 am
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
393 of 401  Tue 1st Oct 2019 2:02pm  

Neil. Thank you for your swift reply. Yes, they were hidden behind Cartwrights Woodshed for many years, the woodshed was between those and the canal. Yes, they were for storage and more likely for coal in the 19th century, but I still feel they were unused from 1930 onwards, but thanks again. Neil, to change the topic, I have just watched my grandson two hours ago on the drive from Munich (after the beer festival) to Venice in a Aldi R8 V10 engine doing 260 kilometers per hour (fantastic), the pictures from inside the car. I know there are car people on this Forum. (mods move this if you wish)
Canals around Coventry
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
394 of 401  Tue 1st Oct 2019 4:59pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1544

Sorry Kaga, not trying to be clever but I just have to say it, I have never seen one of those in the middle aisle in Aldi, I am sure you mean Audi!! Easily done and I think you said you are using someone else's computer. I also find my iPad has a mind of its own and changes words. ☺️
Canals around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
395 of 401  Tue 1st Oct 2019 5:08pm  

Very nice Audi R8, Kaga - but hopefully not too soon after the Beer Festival! Cheers
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
396 of 401  Fri 4th Oct 2019 12:19pm  

NeilsYard, There's no doubt that your arches were just the roads in and out of the basin for very heavy goods, and almost a century before gas was installed in Coventry.
Canals around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
397 of 401  Tue 22nd Oct 2019 12:24pm  

Possibly the closest image I have seen yet of the Canal Offices at the top of Bishop Street -
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
398 of 401  Tue 22nd Oct 2019 5:50pm  

NeilsYard. Yes, good photo, would think about the sixties. It was still there in the fifties when it was a plumbers warehouse. Past posts, the building was a house and offices at the start, forget the name of the man put in charge (for the moment). Helen. Looking at the topic again I now believe you were right on post 77. I would now put it late forties. I hear they have a statue in the basin - is it Brindley?
Canals around Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
399 of 401  Tue 22nd Oct 2019 7:11pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5394

Yes, Kaga, it’s Brindley Thumbs up
Canals around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
400 of 401  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 10:50am  

Some interesting photos of the Basin here - you need to add Coventry Basin in the search box. Edited by member, 23rd Oct 2019 10:51 am
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
401 of 401  Wed 23rd Oct 2019 1:50pm  

Midland Red, thank you for your reply and excellent photo's of James Brindley. The Coventry Canal Company, the only one company to have the temerity to sack the great but intensely irritating Brindley. The company appointed Brindley as Engineer and Surveyor at £150 a year, he undertook to give at least two months attendance in every year, but he did not give what was expected. At that time he had nine other canals also. Brindley was a man that went his own way, asked no help or advice. On the Worcester/Staffs canal, a difference of levels of 30 feet called for three locks - the obvious solution was a staircase of three interlocking locks. Instead he built three separate locks with only a few feet of water between them. It was inconvenient, not enough room for a boat between them, so a boat going up had to wait until a boat going down had passed all three locks. But it was one of the few canals to be built on time and close to budget. Brindley followed the contours of the land, they circled small hills like a moat, he hated fast running water like rivers. He built most tunnels in the form of a double arch, something close to a circle, an inverted arch. He built narrow boats to carry about 25 tons, for they only had horse and carts and bad roads to compete against, unlike the wider barges that carried heavier loads. Brindley was apprenticed to a firm of millwrights/wheelwrights that had to know water courses, but his teacher was always drunk so he copied others, and with common sense, became self taught. His first job was to drain a mine - he installed a pump powered by a waterwheel, but he needed water to power it, but he could only do that from a river from the other side because of the mine, so he now had to syphon it under the same river along a channel of 800 yards. The first canals were wanted by the Wedgewood brothers, to move their pottery products.
Canals around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 391 to 401 of 401 posts

Page 27 of 27

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .. 23 24 25 26 27
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Union Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Ordnance Works