No actionNo action
410 posts:
Order:    

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
406 of 410  Sun 26th Jan 2020 11:50am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3325

I hear that they are replacing the locks at Sutton Stop, after I believe 80 years. Long time since I gave bread pudding to a bunch of Yanks, but ho, so happy, laughter from our new found friends.
Canals around Coventry
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
407 of 410  Mon 27th Jan 2020 12:47pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:2508

Its only a Monday but already contenders for 'Find of the Week!' Following my earlier post (these could go in a Bishop Street thread so mods feel free to move), thanks to my friend Alan Denyer from the Visit Coventry website, these have just come up showing the demolition of the Canal Offices at the top of Bishop Street circa 1959/60. They were removed as right in the way of Ringway St Nicholas but show yet again another treasure of a building that could have / should have been saved. Surroundings are interesting as well. It’s very rare to see a shot of this even intact and these are the very first ones I have seen of it and the area at that time in colour.
Canals around Coventry
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
408 of 410  Mon 27th Jan 2020 2:05pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5529

Damn Ring Road Angry
Canals around Coventry
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
409 of 410  Mon 27th Jan 2020 3:24pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3416

Typical Angry
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
410 of 410  Sat 8th Feb 2020 10:53am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3325

NeilsYard, Hard to query you these days but where did that great wall come from next to the house (407)? Sure it wasn't there in 54, big black gates and bushes next to the house and round the corner. I lived on a boat in the basin for a few days around 52/3. The house was a warehouse for plumbing owned by a man named Arthur (not sure of surname), also a racehorse trainer. Next to, Radford side, was the timber firm of Cartwrights, also inside the basin. Story to it. D Di and I would occasionally go for a drink after racing, if a long journey. One night in the King William a very smart guy joined, said he was Peter, he knew Arthur. He was very chatty, he would find out winners from him for us, said join him for a meal and drink in a few days time. Before I could object D Di accepted. He told us his mother was very rich, lived in some large house, was director of some fashion house. Next day I asked D Di who his friend was. “No idea, thought he was your friend”. We met Peter on the night. He took charge, asking for a table, ordering the beer, chatting up the waitress, ordering the meals. Well, when the waitress collected the plates etc we were a merry bunch! Peter rose. “First, I must slip to...” He rose, but so did I a second later. Peter headed for a different room then out a different door. I caught him in the car park. “Oh, and where are you heading?” I asked. “I'm... “ he stammered. "No you’re not, you’re coming back and paying the bill"
Canals around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 406 to 410 of 410 posts

Page 28 of 28

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 ... 24 25 26 27 28
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry's Co-operative Societies
|

Next (newer) topic

Ford's Hospital