No actionNo action
429 posts:
Order:    

20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
421 of 429  Sat 2nd May 2020 2:12pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2020  Total posts:104

That hump-backed bridge on Old Church, the Council wanted to remove it and level the road. That would have meant the canal ended there, but after protests it was replaced by the one which is there now in 1973. The film of the Series IIA Land Rover appliance has been released on a Land Rover DVD and it's not Old Church Road, it's filmed on a farm and near the canal Potters Green area. I have a copy of it.
Canals around Coventry
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
422 of 429  Sat 2nd May 2020 2:45pm  

On 2nd May 2020 1:48pm, Kaga simpson said: PS, it was three storeys, it stood on the edge of the railway bank, the basement was part cellar, that was on flat garden at rear, and four other houses behind it in a three sided square.
Yes, of course, on the occasions we went up to the canal arm it was more often than not from the slough, over the bridge then walk up the field, which is a public footpath, and then approach that building from the rear, which is why I have thoughts of it being 3 storeys. From the back it was!
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
423 of 429  Sun 3rd May 2020 10:15am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3703

Manor House, And that was the finish of my paper round, the last five papers, at the milk bottle plant, climb the stile over the wooden bridge of the Slough and up the pathway, and it was their garden that the yew tree cuttings came from, and killed the horses. And I found a floater in the Slough by the side of the wooden bridge, one early morning. The size of the papers were reduced during the war.
Canals around Coventry
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
424 of 429  Sun 31st May 2020 10:44am  

On 1st May 2020 4:44pm, Kaga simpson said: Manor House, The right-hand side never had windows, they must have come later, it had big doors, but tell me how did they get near to it, is there some sort of road these days?
Kaga. You asked if there is "some sort of road". I had a stroll around the area on Friday. This view, with the Wyken arm to my right, is looking along the former railway trackbed towards where the farm was. It is now a tarmac roadway. And, as for the house, it was here!
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
425 of 429  Sun 31st May 2020 6:05pm  

Thank you Manor House. The place is really historic, the mines, the railway, the miners, half of Bell Green and Courthouse Green and Foleshill once worked and depended on the area for its livelihood, right back to the 16th century. Yet it had beauty, the fields full of wild flowers, herbs and birds. Weavers and spinners worked in their homes, where porridge cooled on the window sills, smoke filled the air, and the click of a shuttle could be heard in most houses. The weavers and spinners, and so did the canal, coal and cloth, relied on Coventry, the heart of the system. (I get carried away!)
Canals around Coventry
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
426 of 429  Mon 1st Jun 2020 9:34am  

It is a good description that Kaga, an historic area. Half a century ago, and more, when it was our playground we were aware of the significance of what had gone on to some extent. And I am doing now, what some of the old characters tried to do did back then. Talk about the area, but we didn't listen, or didn't want to listen then! But now your recollections via this forum and your posts are priceless and I've learned so much and I can't thank you enough.
Canals around Coventry
Frances
Kenilworth
All posts by this member
427 of 429  Wed 1st Jul 2020 4:55pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2014  Total posts:25

I have been reading the posts about the canals round Coventry. I found it fascinating and all the photographs were so informative. Such a pity that much of Coventry's history has vanished under orders from the planners and their bulldozers as well as Charles II insisting that the walls of the city were pulled down - how petty! I just hope they don't get to Whitefriars Workhouse. This amazing building should be protected at all costs. It is not an invitation for vandalism on the way back from the pub on a Saturday night. Cheers What a daft place to have the ring road. Thanks for such an interesting topic. Frances Thumbs up
Frances Diana Warr

Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
428 of 429  Wed 8th Jul 2020 4:49pm  

In the early centuries our ancestors discovered that little black bits they found in the fields and woods burnt better than wood. On the north side of the city, investors ploughed money in to dig it out of the ground and coal mining grew. But the city needed it and there was little transport, so they dug canals and in this way they could bring it in to the heart of the city, and from the coal came gas. The first two boat loads came into the city basin in August 1769 and pulled by two mules, now heavy goods of all kinds could reach the city. By 1820 gaslight reached the city, they built a gasworks at the side of the canal, built coal vaults in the basin. And horse and boats and coal led Coventry's industry. 1848, the railways appeared, the Nuneaton to Coventry line was constructed and train sidings built in Foleshill and spare land. In 1909 they moved the gas works to Foleshill - everything now on a larger scale and more products. In 1948 it all became nationalised, and by 1972 it all ceased. But the coal mines it had all been built for closed by 1927, the canal, Sutton Stop to Coventry basin, became wound down and derelict. That is how I saw it.
Canals around Coventry
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
429 of 429  Tue 4th Aug 2020 11:25am  

Canal business had deteriorated through the first half of the 20th century but the coming of the war gave it a little boost. Joe Stanton had picked up a couple of boatloads of sand for Rugby Cement Works and proceeded to Sutton Stop when he heard a couple of boats approaching from the other direction. So Joe thought he had time to moor, pick up a couple of things from Grange Road shops - he was gone a little longer than expected with queuing, in the meantime, the oncoming boats had passed through and Roger Liggins had stolen his place and was now passing through the lock. There was some heated argument. An hour later Joe found the last berth before Tusses Bridge had also been taken by Roger, and Joe had to moor the other side of the bridge - this meant a long walk, back to the start of the bridge, up and over the bridge, down the other side, then back to the towpath. Joe started to walk back in the evening when the sirens began. Almost before they died down planes were overhead, guns were blazing in front and rear, men shouting. The old stables of the pub we’re now being used as ARP fire fighting post. Then there were a few thuds, the ground shook - a house had taken a direct hit. Deafening shells were screaming into the sky, searchlights probed, all hell was let loose. The landlord of the pub ran out. “The cut’s been hit”, telephoned from the Greyhound pub. The lock and towpath had been breeched, Roger, my father and Joe left the hit house and raced back to their boats, and my father to Sutton Stop - he screamed to me to go and get help to bring to the boats. I didn't really understand, but spread the word and returned myself. Now I did, the water was draining out fast, the boats tried to drag with the flow, towropes snapping, boats leaning dangerously to the middle, kids crying, women screaming as pans and buckets slid, and all the while the guns were blazing away. But Joe's boat and wife was safe in water, the planks under the bridge holding fast, but ex-boatmen had gathered and were helping the people off their boats and into the pub. I grabbed my bike, missing ropes and debris I cycled to Sutton Stop - as I got nearer the faster the water raced towards the breech and the debris flowed faster. A huge hole in the towpath and the water was pouring out like a giant waterfall. My father phoned Inland Waterways at Rugby. The water now calming down, he was organising a sandbag temporary filling - the lock was damaged too. He left instructions, and cycled back to the rescue, but everyone was safe. Back at the ARP post they offered tea and sandwiches, and found out that the house that had been hit was his wife’s cousin who was also Roger’s cousin. Boats were leaning at all angles as if to roll into the middle of the empty cut, held only by their tow and extra ropes. The all-clear sounded, dad sent me home. My head hit the pillow and I was out for eight hours.
Canals around Coventry

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 421 to 429 of 429 posts

Page 29 of 29

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 .... 25 26 27 28 29
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Post-war redevelopment
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Jazz Clubs