Next pageNo action
18 posts:
Order:    

tricianorton
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 18  Fri 5th Oct 2012 6:56pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2012  Total posts:4

Hi does anybody remember there being a Newsagents/Tobacconist on Warwick Row in 1953/4. If so could anybody tell me where it would have been on Warwick Row and also what it was called. Thank you Tricia
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
2 of 18  Fri 5th Oct 2012 7:48pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5337

I delivered papers in 1961 for Walter Adams whose newsagents and tobacconists shop was on Warwick Row - I think it was probably no.25, which is now Right Move, although I may be wrong I can recall that my dear old grandad used the shop for many years prior to that, and from my memories of the owner, I rather think he would have been there in 1954
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Mike H
London Ontario, Canada
All posts by this member
3 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 1:04am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:439

Walter Adams was one of my great uncles. Smile
Newsagent, Warwick Row
tricianorton
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 10:23am  
Member: Joined Jun 2012  Total posts:4

Do any of you remember an attempted breakk in at Walter Adams', it would have been early 1954.
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
5 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 6:24pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:906

I have been having a look to see if I could have come up with some more info for you but only came up with the phone book info, which was Walter Adams, 27 Warwick Rd, I think they must have meant Row surely? Anyhow, my husband would like to know if anyone can remember another Tobacconist, he isn't saying that Mr Adams wasn't in situ there, but he reckons there was another one nearer, end of Warwick Row, where that canopy affair was or still is over the modern building on the corner on the same side. He said it was a quality old shop and doesn't think it was a Newsagent, and he thinks he got his first Meerschaum pipe from there and is adamant it wasn't from Mr Adams as this one was more on the corner. He said it was demolished by about 1960?
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
6 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 6:38pm  

A "real" tobacconists on Warwick Row was Hansons, somewhere near where Age UK is now
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
7 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 6:41pm  

Ah, you have sorted it then, I found F.J. Hanson, Wines and Spirits, 7 Warwick Row, and discounted it cos it didn't mention 'Tobacco' and neither did Stu Roll eyes But it has to be it surely. Do you remember the building, he said it seemed quite quality. Been looking for a photo but no luck yet. Thanks, I'm off now for dinner Cheers
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 6:58pm  

Yes, that's the one - I remember it because my dear old dad used it for his St Bruno supply! And a good guess, as Age UK IS no.7 ! Thumbs up
Newsagent, Warwick Row
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 8:32pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:287

I worked at Age Concern, as it was then, in that building during the 90's. It would be good to see that house as it was in the 50's. I believe that there was a private school along there in the 19th century, which Mary Anne Evans attended. Lol
Newsagent, Warwick Row
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 8:57pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:257

Hi Anne, Wave I work as a volunteer in the Age UK Warwick Row office and have done for the last 5 years. We still occasionally receive post addressed to the school at 7 Warwick Row. Thumbs up
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
11 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 9:11pm  

It's now referred to as "Alvin Smith House" - who is/was he?
Newsagent, Warwick Row
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 9:25pm  

He was a past chairperson who did a lot of work for the charity Smile
Newsagent, Warwick Row
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 9:32pm  

On 6th Oct 2012 8:57pm, mayjan said: I work as a volunteer in the Age UK Warwick Row office....
What do you do there, Mayjan? I was the Mental Health Support officer.
Newsagent, Warwick Row
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 18  Sat 6th Oct 2012 10:44pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:257

Hi Anne Wave I do admin work one day and I help with the new volunteer applications on another day, inputting data onto the computer. Wonder if you would know any of the staff that are there now? regards Jan Thumbs up
Newsagent, Warwick Row
Foxcote
Warwick
All posts by this member
15 of 18  Sun 7th Oct 2012 10:04am  

On 6th Oct 2012 8:32pm, anne said: I worked at Age Concern, as it was then, in that building during the 90's. It would be good to see that house as it was in the 50's. I believe that there was a private school along there in the 19th century, which Mary Anne Evans attended. Lol
The school was the Loveitts property and was run by two Miss Franklins, daughters of the Rev. Franklin of Cow Lane Chapel. George Eliot went there at 13 years. I believe there is a plaque.
Newsagent, Warwick Row

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 18 posts

Page 1 of 2

1 2
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Trinity Lodge
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry's Universities