No actionNo action
293 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
286 of 293  Fri 26th Apr 2019 8:15pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1480

Could easily be a pig bin. When I was at school they were still collecting waste food for the pigs but at some point they recognised the danger of swine fever from food that wasn't properly heated and banned it. Even more off topic - my dad heard from someone that a farmer was selling cheap potatoes. The farmer said that they were for pigs and my dad said he had three little ones in the back of the car. We waved. Wave They might have been for pigs but they were lovely tiny potatoes. Now they sell those sorts of spuds at a premium.
Early memories
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
287 of 293  Fri 26th Apr 2019 10:30pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1504

A report in the Telegraph in January 1949 is about 2 brothers stealing two pig food waste bins. It says they were two of 400 or 500 scattered round the streets of the city for the reception of waste food. I can just about remember our potato peelings etc. being saved. I also notice a lot of adverts for pig food steam boilers! Edited by member, 27th Apr 2019 7:12 am
Early memories
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
288 of 293  Sat 27th Apr 2019 5:30am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3316

On 26th Apr 2019 8:15pm, Helen F said: They might have been for pigs but they were lovely tiny potatoes. Now they sell those sorts of spuds at a premium.
Helen, they would have been 'Jersey Mids' - lovely flavour.
Early memories
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
289 of 293  Sat 27th Apr 2019 10:58am  

I used to work in the office of a farmer who grew onions and potatoes and then sold them diced or sliced to food processors like Ginsters or Northern Foods. He also later bought out a plant that washed large potatoes for the jacket potato people. These potatoes were graded in a grader for the various jobs and the smallest ones, surprisingly called "smalls" were used to feed to the dairy cows he had on the farm. In the early 90's some bright spark somewhere came up with a marketing ploy and renamed these as things like "Baby bakers" and a new market was born. I can't imagine my mum or most mums at that time would ever have considered cooking a potato with the skin still on but with this new marketing selling washed small potatoes it was the only way to cook them. The only time my mum would have bought little potatoes was in the summer when the new potatoes, loose skin potatoes were out and were easy to scrape. I don't think they would have been Jersey Mids, Dreamtime. They can only come from Jersey, they were a lot more expensive, tasted lovely but were more of a luxury.
Early memories
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
290 of 293  Sat 27th Apr 2019 2:57pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:1480

I think Anne was right, they were the smalls, hence the 'only for pigs' designation. They were yummy but Jersey Royals were even better. They were kidney shaped and only grown in Jersey. The modern versions aren't as nice and don't usually have the familiar shape. While I've always like my small spuds with the skins on, my mum had a device where you put mini tatties into the top, with some water in the bottom. With the lid on, you turned the handle and a central disk covered with something like sand paper bounced and scraped the potatoes. The sides were sand papery too. It worked reasonably well and us kids were assigned it as a duty. The worst part was cleaning out the machine.
Early memories
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
291 of 293  Sat 27th Apr 2019 4:59pm  

We had one of those Helen but it was water powered! There was a pipe attached that you put on the tap and the water drove it round. You had to be careful you didn’t scrape the potato away.
Early memories
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
292 of 293  Sat 27th Apr 2019 5:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2956

Dreamtime, Jersey was occupied by the Germans during WW2, so not Jersey potatoes till after the war. Farmers paid boys and women to glean the small spuds for pig and chicken food, but mainly to clear the land so they did not grow the following year and spoil the crop of that year.
Early memories
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
293 of 293  Sat 18th May 2019 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1066

I remember the pig waste food bin in Momus Boulevard in the 1950s opposite the Biggin Hall pub. My grandmother lost her engagement ring after she was widowed, whilst living with us, and I think she thought it had gone in the bin one day which was full to the brim. It was never found.
Early memories

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 286 to 293 of 293 posts

Page 20 of 20

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 16 17 18 19 20
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Clean Air Charging Zone
|

Next (newer) topic

Windmill Road School