No actionNo action
328 posts:
Order:    

Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
316 of 328  Sat 27th Apr 2019 10:58am  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1790

I used to work in the office of a farmer who grew onions and potatoes and then sold them diced or sliced to food processors like Ginsters or Northern Foods. He also later bought out a plant that washed large potatoes for the jacket potato people. These potatoes were graded in a grader for the various jobs and the smallest ones, surprisingly called "smalls" were used to feed to the dairy cows he had on the farm. In the early 90's some bright spark somewhere came up with a marketing ploy and renamed these as things like "Baby bakers" and a new market was born. I can't imagine my mum or most mums at that time would ever have considered cooking a potato with the skin still on but with this new marketing selling washed small potatoes it was the only way to cook them. The only time my mum would have bought little potatoes was in the summer when the new potatoes, loose skin potatoes were out and were easy to scrape. I don't think they would have been Jersey Mids, Dreamtime. They can only come from Jersey, they were a lot more expensive, tasted lovely but were more of a luxury.
Memories - early or general
Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
317 of 328  Sat 27th Apr 2019 2:57pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2332

I think Anne was right, they were the smalls, hence the 'only for pigs' designation. They were yummy but Jersey Royals were even better. They were kidney shaped and only grown in Jersey. The modern versions aren't as nice and don't usually have the familiar shape. While I've always like my small spuds with the skins on, my mum had a device where you put mini tatties into the top, with some water in the bottom. With the lid on, you turned the handle and a central disk covered with something like sand paper bounced and scraped the potatoes. The sides were sand papery too. It worked reasonably well and us kids were assigned it as a duty. The worst part was cleaning out the machine.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
318 of 328  Sat 27th Apr 2019 4:59pm  

We had one of those Helen but it was water powered! There was a pipe attached that you put on the tap and the water drove it round. You had to be careful you didn’t scrape the potato away.
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
319 of 328  Sat 27th Apr 2019 5:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3751

Dreamtime, Jersey was occupied by the Germans during WW2, so not Jersey potatoes till after the war. Farmers paid boys and women to glean the small spuds for pig and chicken food, but mainly to clear the land so they did not grow the following year and spoil the crop of that year.
Prof
Gloucester
All posts by this member
320 of 328  Sat 18th May 2019 9:51pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:1496

I remember the pig waste food bin in Momus Boulevard in the 1950s opposite the Biggin Hall pub. My grandmother lost her engagement ring after she was widowed, whilst living with us, and I think she thought it had gone in the bin one day which was full to the brim. It was never found.
Dr Phil 1949 to 1956
Ware Herts & Puerto Mogan Gran Canaria
All posts by this member
321 of 328  Mon 18th Nov 2019 3:49pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2019  Total posts:43

At KHVIII I remember seeing board diagrams of an internal combustion engine when we entered the lab after having been giving a lesson on the internal combustion engine. I was in 3D in 1950. Later in life while at Leeds Uni I became very keen on motor bike riding and I bought my first bike from Malcolm Simpson (£25) when I was home in the summer break. It was a BSA C11 (ex Army with panniers) and I loved it, poor brakes and all. After that I had several bikes, two stand out ; A BSA Shooting Star amazing acceleration, good handling, the last one I had was a BSA Lightning, a beast, it was difficult to handle I found, but by then my first car, a Standard Companion Estate was my pride and joy, and I never had another bike. Best Regards Phil Edited by member, 18th Nov 2019 4:14 pm

Question

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
322 of 328  Tue 19th Nov 2019 10:53am  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:3751

We had a BSA 350 twin exhaust bike we raced round Ansty airfield, but it really wasn't my scene. I took to running round the airfield, early mornings with the hares, rabbits and all wild life in the early morning dew - superb.
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
323 of 328  Wed 23rd Sep 2020 2:21pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2020  Total posts:89

Midland Bank. (safe to post as no account name or number)
20A-Manor House
Coventry
All posts by this member
324 of 328  Thu 24th Sep 2020 10:18am  
Member: Joined Apr 2020  Total posts:89

Natural gas conversion early 70's:
Slim
Another Coventry kid
All posts by this member
325 of 328  Fri 25th Sep 2020 6:43pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:771

I remember the conversion being done: two gas fires, my Bunsen burner was replaced, and my mother's treasured Regulo New World gas stove had to be scrapped as it was too old to convert. My parents had to buy a new cooker. Cost them a pretty penny it did. IIRC, William Press did our neighbourhood. They came from Brum or the Black Country. We called them the Press Gang. Smile
argon
New Milton
All posts by this member
326 of 328  Mon 28th Sep 2020 10:44am  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:366

I used to play tennis on the municipal courts with school friends in the 1950's and have a lasting memory of one occasion travelling to Spencer Park to play, with Doug Smith, John Green and Roy McLanaghan, in Doug Smith's proud acquisition, a 1930s Rolls Royce hearse and us in tennis whites with racquets. Edited by member, 28th Sep 2020 11:34 am
slash1
northampton
All posts by this member
327 of 328  Sat 10th Oct 2020 10:36pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:150

Remember conversion, very well. Was an industrial gas engineer at the time, working on industrial boilers, all sorts of process plants, making all sorts of things. Was the days of a proper British Gas, obviously the main contractors. Travelled all over the country, working on my company's equipment. For such a major operation, it went remarkably smoothly. Started in the days before Corgi had come into operation. I always said to people, in the days when lots of pieces of papers were introduced for gas engineers and the like. We converted the country to natural gas, without a piece of paper between us. The gas safe type schemes, later introduced, just became a cash cow, and to a large degree, a joke.
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
328 of 328  Sun 11th Oct 2020 10:44am  

I remember conversion time very well. We had just moved a few months before into a new build. My daughter was born at the beginning of April. The house next door was empty when they came to do the conversion as the young couple were moving in after they got married. After they had moved in I sat feeding my daughter one morning when I noticed smoke coming from under the eaves. We knocked on the door but a neighbour had already notified them and took them out. We phoned the fire brigade. After all the kerfuffle scaffolding was put round the house (which meant up our short drive between the houses on top of freshly laid the day before tarmac as the builder would not leave it), also there were great sheets of iron all round the scaffolding. A few days later there were very high winds and the sheets were blowing everywhere. I was so worried one would go through the roof, as one did through the house the other side, that we went and spent the night at my mother-in-law’s. I think there were notices on the boiler not to use it. So I will always remember conversion!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 316 to 328 of 328 posts

Page 22 of 22

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .. 18 19 20 21 22
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Coventry newspapers
|

Next (newer) topic

Working Men's, Sports and Social clubs