No actionNo action
37 posts:
Order:    

johnno
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
All posts by this member
31 of 37  Tue 9th Sep 2014 10:30am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:11

I once lived in SSRd just south of Red Lane bridge, that was before the war. I also knew a cake shop further down named L R Gee where I bought cakes on the way to school in Leics Causeway. On my last visit to UK most original places in SSRd were gone, replaced by modern buildings. I'm now 80 but remember that area well incl. the hospital and the Swanswell
John in Coffs Harbour

Town Planning and Development - Stoney Stanton Road
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
32 of 37  Tue 9th Sep 2014 10:40pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:190

I talked to my mother today and asked her about the millinery shop but she didn't remember it immediately. With some thought, though, it may come back to her and I will let you know what she remembers. On the subject of Gee's bakery, Johnno, she had lots of memories and I am posting them in the Coventry Bakeries thread. Do you remember the Home and Colonial near Priestley's Bridge before the bombing?
johnno
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
All posts by this member
33 of 37  Wed 10th Sep 2014 7:39am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:11

Hi Primrose. Yes I remember the H & C store very well as we shopped there when I was about 5. From there we caught the tram to the city Amazing memories, thank you Johnno
John in Coffs Harbour

ewg46
Birmingham
All posts by this member
34 of 37  Tue 16th Sep 2014 12:27pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:6

I recently posted a question re a Milliners shop in Stoney Stanton Rd run by a great aunt and her friend Ethel Mills. Further research has discovered that Ethel Mills is in fact my 1st cousin 2x removed. The shop was in fact a drapers shop situated at 178-180 Stoney Stanton Rd and is now a carpet shop (Eagle Carpets). Ethel Mills is the daughter of James Mills (Coventry born) who set up, with William Henry Fulford, the Milford Sidecar Company who later went on to own Rex-Acme and produce those motorcycles up to 1933. Lots of info on the internet on this but does anyone have any recollection of these two companies?

Question

Ollie68
Bewdley
All posts by this member
35 of 37  Fri 16th Jan 2015 7:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:2

Hi all, would anyone have any information or pictures of a grocery shop and bakehouse at 476a Stoney Stanton Road, Foleshill, my ancestors "The Olivers" had their shop there from about 1860 until at least 1911. Thomas Oliver and then his son John Oliver ran it. Many thanks in advance, Smile

Question

Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
36 of 37  Tue 14th Jun 2016 7:24pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:1981

The Stoney Stanton Road I knew: From St Paul's (Rd) down to Priestleys (Bridge) then to the Station (St) off the Cross (St) across to Stable (canal) now a Carpenters shop into Eden (St) along Paradise (Row) to see Adam and Eve (pub) wander by Courthouse (Green) and the Old Church (Rd) listen to the Prophets (Ave) of Bell Green .
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
37 of 37  Tue 14th Jun 2016 7:38pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4819

Prophets Avenue! Big grin Love it Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 31 to 37 of 37 posts

Page 3 of 3

1 2 3
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Alvis, Holyhead Road (inc. bridge)
|

Next (newer) topic

Sovereign Terrace
You are viewing topics in the Town Planning and Development category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 5th April 2018  (Load time: 124ms)