Next pageNo action
362 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
346 of 362  Sun 12th Mar 2017 6:44pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4072

Hi all Wave I bought a couple of bikes off Mick Ives, when he had his shop in Coundon. A lovely guy.
Coventry People - Famous Coventrians
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
347 of 362  Mon 20th Mar 2017 11:42am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5018

On 10th Dec 2014 1:05pm, Midland Red said: An interesting addition has been made to our list of Famous Coventrians - David Spencer
On 10th Dec 2014 8:58pm, Garlands Joke Shop said: Hi Midland Red, you're observant, I only put it a couple of days ago Smile ; my Dad told me about him and showed me his grave in the old part of London Road Cemetery. Spencer was quite an amazing guy.
The plaque beneath this tree in Spencer Park reads: "THIS TREE WAS PLANTED IN 1928 TO THE MEMORY OF DAVID SPENCER A GENEROUS BENEFACTOR OF COVENTRY WHO PRESENTED THIS PARK TO THE CITY IN 1882 DAVID SPENCER BORN 1805 DIED 1888"
Garlands Joke Shop
Coventry
All posts by this member
348 of 362  Tue 21st Mar 2017 6:18pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2014  Total posts:189

It really shows how well loved the philanthropist David Spencer was, that a tree was planted and a plaque made 40 years after Mr Spencer had passed away.
Osmiroid
UK
All posts by this member
349 of 362  Fri 7th Apr 2017 9:46pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2013  Total posts:358

Loen Love, born and raised in Coventry
Derek Skelcher
Bristol
All posts by this member
350 of 362  Fri 26th May 2017 5:15pm  
Member: Joined May 2017  Total posts:7

Who remembers Billie Whitelaw? I first, knowingly, became aware of her from her screen appearances, but her presence in my life began to grow and grow from 1950 onwards. The guy I shared a bed space with at RAF Innsworth and who came from Bradford always boasted that his claim to fame was that he had slept with Billie Whitelaw! Which indeed was true. When her family moved to Bradford from Coventry they lived next door and during air raids he and her were put in the same bed! I next began to hear more of her from people I later worked with at GEC Telephone Works. where had her father before their move to Bradford. Next I saw an article on the Internet about Stoke National School, in which I was mentioned, and discovered that she had been in the same class as me in 1935. So being moved to find out more I read her autobiography, "Billie Whitelaw, Who he?". Discovered that not only was she born in the next street but her best friend was also a friend of mine, whose father worked for my father at the Humber; that we were both at the same performance of "Dick Whittington", the very last panto at the old Coventry Hippodrome, before it was pulled down, what's more we were both turned on to the theatre by the performance; she going on to be a star, while I languished as an amateur for 65 years. Where did I go wrong?
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
351 of 362  Sun 25th Jun 2017 8:52am  

John Joseph Ward has been added to our list of Famous Coventrians" Thumbs up Thanks to Robthu for the heads up Wave
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
352 of 362  Sun 17th Sep 2017 11:11am  

Latest additions (thanks to Robthu Thumbs up): Mary Eaves, Thomas Sharp, William George Fretton
Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
353 of 362  Thu 14th Dec 2017 9:19pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:1353

A long overdue local addition to our Famous Coventrians has been made today - artist, George Wagstaffe. Many of you won't be familiar with the name, but you might recognise some of his work which has graced the city centre for many years - particularly 'Naiad', the lady who used to sit in a pond in the council office courtyard in Earl Street, opposite the council house (and later in Lady Herbert's garden, see photo below). This sculpture was his first significant commission, and it won him the prestigious ICA Young Contemporaries award. He also created 'Phoenix' in Hertford Street, which can be seen on this Coventry Society page about it. George has received almost no proper local recognition for his work, and currently Naiad is hidden away, awaiting restoration and a suitable new location after being badly stored for several years. I hope that, with Coventry's new culture status, these things are rightly remedied.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
354 of 362  Wed 7th Mar 2018 5:30pm  

Thanks to Prof for the heads-up, Alfred Henry Drinkwater has now been added to our list of "Famous Coventrians" (Earned Coventrian Status) Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
355 of 362  Sun 8th Apr 2018 9:53pm  

Another MotoGP win for Cal Crutchlow Cheers Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
356 of 362  Sun 15th Jul 2018 9:11pm  

Many congratulations to Dame Laura Davies on winning the inaugural US Senior Women's Open Championship today - by the small margin of 10 shots Cheers Cheers
oldmoney
Leicester
All posts by this member
357 of 362  Mon 16th Jul 2018 4:03pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:16

My mum always said she was at school with Billy Whitelaw. Her name was Barbara Elks
Wearethemods
Aberdeenshire
All posts by this member
358 of 362  Tue 17th Jul 2018 1:39pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2013  Total posts:370

Someone from Coventry who has just become famous worldwide, and rightly so, is the leader of the expedition who devised, I am led to believe, the plan to rescue the boys trapped in the caves in Thailand. The publicity of his and the team's fortitude & endeavours may be short lived to most, but they will never be forgotten by those whose lives were saved. Thumbs up UPDATE Having watched the Midlands News last night which featured an interview with said hero, it transpires it was his idea to sedate all the boys as none could swim and for safety reasons for both the rescuers and the boys they were brought to the surface unconscious. Fantastic Big grin Edited by member, 18th Jul 2018 11:28 am
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
359 of 362  Sun 29th Jul 2018 4:44pm  

On 3rd Aug 2015 8:10pm, Midland Red said: Congratulations to Graham Ashby, one of our "Famous Coventrians", on winning the Warwickshire County Bowls Association singles championship for a seventh time, and completing a hat-trick of wins following victories in 2013 and 2014 Cheers
Number eight achieved this afternoon! Congratulations, Graham Cheers
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
360 of 362  Mon 30th Jul 2018 4:30am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3151

On 17th Jul 2018 1:39pm, Wearethemods said: Someone from Coventry who has just become famous worldwide, and rightly so, is the leader of the expedition who devised, I am led to believe, the plan to rescue the boys trapped in the caves in Thailand. The publicity of his and the team's fortitude & endeavours may be short lived to most, but they will never be forgotten by those whose lives were saved. Thumbs up >
Yes, and on the TV last week someone was being interviewed about making a movie about the whole operation, now that will be most interesting methinks. Smile

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 346 to 360 of 362 posts

Page 24 of 25

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 .... 15 .... 20 21 22 23 24 25
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Mike Bowe - Wizard of Cov
|

Next (newer) topic

George Hilditch - Jaguar XK120