No actionNo action
20 posts:
Order:    

Iain MacBean
Glasgow
All posts by this member
16 of 20  Wed 7th Mar 2018 6:50pm  
Member: Joined Dec 2017  Total posts:3

The corner building shown, Restaurant Roma, was in 1950 a derelict house, not certain if it had been bombed. I can remember in the mid 50's it was rebuilt as a motorcycle showroom and workshop. At the rear of the premises under the advertising hoarding is a little lane that ran down to a bridge that crossed the Sherbourne river. Think there may have been a warehouse there and parking, it was used by a car delivery company to deliver new vehicles on trade plates to dealers. I can remember quite a few Jaguars passing through.
Queen Victoria Road
OddSock
Coventry
All posts by this member
17 of 20  Fri 16th Mar 2018 2:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2018  Total posts:2

Can anyone out there remember the barbershop on Queen Victoria Road? It was in a run of terraced houses on a small off-shoot of QV Rd, starting opposite what was the C&A (then Argos, now New Look) building, and ending up joining Spon Street/Fleet Street. This off-shoot disappeared when the area was flattened to make way for the Co-op development in the 1980s, before Ikea came along! Can anyone remember the barbershop, maybe its name?? I can remember the shop front being painted bright, pillar-box red.
Odd Sock (there

Queen Victoria Road
Annewiggy
Tamworth
All posts by this member
18 of 20  Fri 16th Mar 2018 4:01pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2013  Total posts:1214

Hi Oddsock. There is an article in 1967 Coventry Telegraph about Frank Page’s barbers shop in Queen Victoria Road about what happened to the monster pike that used to be in the window. Would this be the one.
Queen Victoria Road
OddSock
Coventry
All posts by this member
19 of 20  Sat 17th Mar 2018 10:31am  
Member: Joined Mar 2018  Total posts:2

Hi Anne It could be? I never went in the place myself, and I don’t recall a large fish in the window but that’s not to say there wasn’t one? Have you a date for the Coventry Telegraph issue, and possibly a page number, so I can follow this up on my next visit to The Herbert using their microfilms? Thanks for your reply.
Odd Sock (there

Queen Victoria Road
mcsporran
Coventry & Cebu
All posts by this member
20 of 20  Sat 17th Mar 2018 11:12am  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:385

The article is in the CET dated Mon 11 Sep 1967, pages 12 and 32, available online.
Queen Victoria Road

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionPrevious page

Displaying 16 to 20 of 20 posts

Page 2 of 2

1 2
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

City Libraries
|

Next (newer) topic

Submarine