No actionNo action
61 posts:
Order:    

Helen F
Warrington
All posts by this member
61 of 61  Sun 18th Oct 2020 12:48pm  
Moderator: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:2435

I agree completely that accurate dating is to be taken with a massive pinch of salt. Although I imagine the Vatican or some smart Alecs have done work trying to accurately date events. Scientific historians have done work trying to sync different countries time lines. If you can get a daily account continuously, then you can date things accurately. If there is then a shared event eg eruption, meteorite, you can improve dating in patchy records by linking them to continuous ones. Climate research may also play a part by tying climate events to certain years. Births may be more suspect than deaths as by that time people were more noteworthy. Even more dubious is the saint's arm. I'm sure that there was an arm but the trade in relics was highly corrupt. Kaga, I agree, pre 1066 Rome would have been a mix of reused/robbed stone, repurposed buildings and new materials but it would have been a lot more sophisticated than England. Yes, many of the things we associate with luxurious Rome are later additions although I believe that they had a fair number of ancient Greek statues. From the engineering point of view the Roman concrete dome of the Pantheon is the finest work of art, not the later decorations. There are surviving examples of Anglo-Saxon wall art but it's not very advanced. France wasn't much different to England if surviving Norman wall art is anything to go by but I couldn't tell you what Rome would have had at that time. Painting someone six hundred years ago is easy as there is nobody to tell you got it wrong. Big grin The cherubs are a clue. However I can imagine trying to do the past justice in an artwork. I'll move some of this to ancient stuff later in a few days. Edited by member, 18th Oct 2020 2:03 pm
Lady Godiva

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 61 of 61 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Council House
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Zoo and The Zulu