No actionNo action
7 posts:
Order:    

heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
1 of 7  Sat 20th Oct 2012 8:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

The regulars who use the records at the Herbert will already know this but prices to use a camera have been increased. A camera pass at our last visit was £5 for unlimited use, yesterday £5 was the cost for up to 5 images whilst unlimited images cost £10. I don't know how long this incease has been in place. Documents now have to be requested by 3.30pm the previous day.
Coventry Archives
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
2 of 7  Sat 20th Oct 2012 10:42am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3886

Hi & thank you for that Heritage Wave Funding cuts are biting hard. Reduced public opening times too with more revisions on the way.
Coventry Archives
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 7  Sat 20th Oct 2012 9:05pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:289

I don't understand this I'm afraid! Oh my Could you explain what you mean, please? Thumbs up
Coventry Archives
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
4 of 7  Sun 21st Oct 2012 8:16am  

Hello Anne, When carrying out research at record offices/archives there are various ways of doing it. Some simply study the documents and make notes or copy them out longhand. Many take a laptop and transcribe the documents out whilst at the record office. My wife and myself photograph the documents, assuming the staff have no objections, and then either study them at home or as my wife does, transcribe them at leisure. This is especialy useful for items such as minute/log books and obviously maps and photographs. My wife has a long term project in comparing Bedworth schools with schools from other areas, Coventry and beyond, so photographing the books makes the task a lot easier. Just for interest between 1875 and 1920 (approx) the Bedworth schools which were supported by the Nicholas Chamberlaine Trust stand comparison with many schools in the area. Photographs have to be taken without flash so not always easy. With few exceptions record offices are not set up for photography although Warwick has one small light/copy stand available. A good record office for photography is the Surrey office at Woking. Hope that makes it clearer for you.
Coventry Archives
NormK
bulkington
All posts by this member
5 of 7  Sun 21st Oct 2012 10:00am  
Member: Joined Jan 2012  Total posts:853

heritage, I think Anne is referring to the camera charge, I don't understand that bit myself, do you mean they charge you for using your camera?
Milly rules

Coventry Archives
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
6 of 7  Sun 21st Oct 2012 10:49am  

There has been a charge for using a camera in record offices for quite a while. The cost has gradually increased but £10 is rather over the top. Warwick Record Office also has a charge for plugging your laptop into the mains supply. This has the effect of bad tempered clashes between the receptionist and the casual visitor, happens a lot. It doesn't help that each record office has its own rules/charges, even down to the age of documents that the researcher can see. This is particularly applicable to school log books.
Coventry Archives
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 7  Sun 21st Oct 2012 8:41pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:289

Thankyou Norm and Heritage Wave Wave I understand now! Yes, rather a lot, especially as the research can only benefit society as a whole.
Coventry Archives

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 7 of 7 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Fiery Elijah
|

Next (newer) topic

The Brookstray
View similar topics in the Local History and Heritage category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 187ms)