All posts by this member
196 of 221  Sat 27th Feb 2016 1:08pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
197 of 221  Fri 4th Mar 2016 11:47pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3824

Hi all Wave I have just discovered a post by someone on another website, talking about me. "Readers have been writing in to tell us of their experiences at the old children's orthopaedic hospital, which withstood air raids during the Blitz. . . . in 1946 I was born with club feet, so I started my life seeing Dr Penrose at the Paybody Hospital. By the age of nine, I had had five operations on my feet in order to get my feet to point the right way. My recollections of these operations, was always to wake up 'plastered', and, as we lived in Binley Woods, the long journey my parents had to make in order to visit me. I remember distinctly having to go to the Paybody's clinic; I think this was situated in the Lower Holyhead Road, in order to receive exercise on my feet, and to receive more plaster from Nurse Bailey. Other memories are of going to Trueform's for new boots, and then going back to the clinic, in order to have the soles built up. After 16 years of seeing Dr Penrose, he finally discharged me, only for me to injure my knee six weeks later playing football. This resulted in me being referred back to Dr Penrose, and then back to Paybody's for an operation on my knee - this was in January 1962. I was in there for six weeks. One guy had been in there for 22 months, with both legs in plaster, with a bar running between them, in order for him to hopefully walk correctly. I was allowed to go home early, because the hospital was going to change to the eye hospital. Others were transferred to the Coventry & Warwick Hospital Don Inwood, Handleys Close, Ryton on Dunsmore." He is talking about me!!!!! What a pip! I was looking for the address of the Dover St clinic to see if I could help with Janey's post & have come across this. " . . . One guy had been in there for 22 months, with both legs in plaster, with a bar running between them, in order for him to hopefully walk correctly." That was me, he is talking about!!!!! I wish I could make contact with him if he is still alive, but no links in the directories.
Our Philip
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
198 of 221  Sat 5th Mar 2016 5:51pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
199 of 221  Sat 5th Mar 2016 6:28pm  

Hello & thank you Mayjan. Wave
Our Philip
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
200 of 221  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 12:24pm  

On 21st Mar 2016 10:31pm, TonyS said: ... a bright navy blue (nearly turquoise) pinstripe suit...
Hi Tony, I have enjoyed being part of voluntary groups for most of my adult life, having been myself so helped by the professional skills & dedication of so many during the first fifteen years of my life, where I was in & out of Paybody hospital throughout. My earliest was the Enterprise club in Avon St & then Coventry Mind, but my interest in Myton goes back to the days when the then Bishop of Coventry asked for help in starting a hospice centre. That was around 1980ish. I shared fun times with various charitable groups, including a working lunch at McDonalds, where a team of burly rugby players had to enjoy a children's party lunch which included doing all of the party games, & I, being so small, nothing like the huge rugby players, had to sing "Little bow peep" wearing a tutu. Another time, I was on an accountants' course at Warwick, where I was staying at the Warwick Hilton Hotel for over a week. For two evenings, I was sponsored to dress as a butler, with full garb. No one recognised me, even though I was serving drinks to work & study colleagues over the two evenings. On another occasion, I walked with a sponsored group from Coventry to Kenilworth Castle where I was wearing a full wedding dress. So, my impulse to buy a dazzling pin-striped suit was quite conservative in comparison, even if all of the staff in the outer office asked for the lights to be dimmed.
Our Philip
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
201 of 221  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 1:20pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4384

Our Philip
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
202 of 221  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 2:00pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2866

You should not encourage him MR. Big grin Big grin Big grin
Our Philip
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
203 of 221  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 2:45pm  

Much too late, Dreamtime - he's totally out of control! Lol Wink
Our Philip
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
204 of 221  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 11:50pm  

Hi all Wave In many ways, it is my volunteer activities, over forty odd years or more, that have shaped me more than anything else in life. Even as we as a family are going through the mill a bit just now, I don't have to look back far to see folk in all kinds of situations & dilemmas. That I am sure helps me to see, over a situation, without being tunnel-blinded by it, as indeed so many are. In particular, those closest to the crisis. I do try to see right from wrong, but part of the understanding is just that, being able to understand. My days with Coventry Mind were a real eye-opener. That brought me into direct contact with every conceivable kind of life activity, including a murder. A big over six-foot man that murdered his less than five foot tiny wife, leaving her body in a layby out Nuneaton way. How do I come to terms with that, even though it was nearly twenty years ago? I was talking with the deceased only three days prior to her being murdered. Thankfully, most events were nothing as traumatic as that. The biggest challenge was recognising folk's innocent lifestyles, learning not to be judgmental, however odd to me an activity or lifestyle might have been. I tell you, of all the activities that I have seen, fifteen rugby players, dressed as little children, doing a set McDonalds party time, complete with the cakes, trifles & games, takes some beating. Good night all. Big grin
Our Philip
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
205 of 221  Fri 8th Apr 2016 9:21am  

Awaiting your report on the Belgrade bacon butty under new management Wink
Our Philip
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
206 of 221  Fri 8th Apr 2016 3:01pm  

Hi Midland red, It was as if nothing had happened, just as good quality, but early days yet. Will have a full report after next Wednesday.
Our Philip
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
207 of 221  Fri 8th Apr 2016 3:47pm  

Cheers
Our Philip
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
208 of 221  Wed 13th Apr 2016 1:26pm  

Hello Midland Red, The bacon butty at the Belgrade was ace, as usual. On the way home I sought permission to record this picture of an enthusiast, restoring motorcycles.
Our Philip
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
209 of 221  Wed 13th Apr 2016 2:39pm  

Wave Thumbs up
Our Philip
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
210 of 221  Sun 3rd Jul 2016 4:35pm  

One from today for "our" Philip Wave Thumbs up
Our Philip

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 196 to 210 of 221 posts

Page 14 of 15

1 2 3 4 5 .... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Next pageNo action

Previous (older) topic

Alderman's Green Primary School
|

Next (newer) topic

You know when you've got old
View similar topics in the Memories and Nostalgia category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 77ms)