Next pageLast page
272 posts:
Order:    

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
211 of 272  Sat 6th Feb 2016 12:20pm  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:4076

Hi all Wave My Pam is continuing her exhaustive testing of her new cooker. Of course it will need a lot more testing. Next Tuesday will be the next big test day.
Memories and Nostalgia - Our Philip
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
212 of 272  Sat 6th Feb 2016 3:19pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3157

I can see many members of the Forum rocking up for a Saturday's breakfast at your place one day Philip. Big grin
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
213 of 272  Sat 6th Feb 2016 4:52pm  

Hi Dreamtime, Wave Cheers Pam did not have enough pastry to complete everything that she had planned, so instead of Coventry God cakes, she made two Holbrooks slices. They were very nice, filled with the same mix as Coventry God Cakes.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
214 of 272  Sat 27th Feb 2016 10:01am  

Hi all Wave Home, sweet home. The Pleco on the left is ten inches long, the one to the right is 12 inches. They are both eighteen years old. The amaryllis was a Christmas gift, which is now 33 inches tall. The leaves are loosely tied to the stem, but the plant is supporting itself. We have had to constantly turn it so as to try to keep the stem growing straight. Please feel free to add your home sweet home delights. The nature of the thread origins put it in the Coventry section, but please feel free to contribute if you wish, even if you are living on the South Pole. Happy
Norman Conquest
Allesley
All posts by this member
215 of 272  Sat 27th Feb 2016 10:27am  
Member: Joined Oct 2014  Total posts:823

Hi Philip Wave Lovely flowers. What on earth is that reptilian looking beast in your tank?
Just old and knackered

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
216 of 272  Sat 27th Feb 2016 10:30am  

Hi Norman, Wave It's Pleco or Plecostomus. Cheers They go well in a community tank, as they only eat algae. They keep the glass clean. I wish there was a cold water version. I would stick them on our outside windows. Save a fortune on window cleaning. Big grin Another picture, showing them both from last evening.
mickw
217 of 272  Sat 27th Feb 2016 10:43am  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
218 of 272  Sat 27th Feb 2016 10:53am  

Hi Mickw, Wave They are suckers. Most of the time they are docile, but have an enormous turn of speed when needed. 0-60 in half a second. Occasionally they have a mad few minutes, uprooting everything, & can cause injury to any fish that get in their way. As said, we had them back in 1997, & have outlived the previous tank. As new they were a fraction of an inch. They are so hardy, surviving a heater failure & almost impossible to catch as was our experience when we bought this tank in 2007. Cheers
mickw
219 of 272  Sat 27th Feb 2016 1:08pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
220 of 272  Fri 4th Mar 2016 11:47pm  

Hi all Wave I have just discovered a post by someone on another website, talking about me. "Readers have been writing in to tell us of their experiences at the old children's orthopaedic hospital, which withstood air raids during the Blitz. . . . in 1946 I was born with club feet, so I started my life seeing Dr Penrose at the Paybody Hospital. By the age of nine, I had had five operations on my feet in order to get my feet to point the right way. My recollections of these operations, was always to wake up 'plastered', and, as we lived in Binley Woods, the long journey my parents had to make in order to visit me. I remember distinctly having to go to the Paybody's clinic; I think this was situated in the Lower Holyhead Road, in order to receive exercise on my feet, and to receive more plaster from Nurse Bailey. Other memories are of going to Trueform's for new boots, and then going back to the clinic, in order to have the soles built up. After 16 years of seeing Dr Penrose, he finally discharged me, only for me to injure my knee six weeks later playing football. This resulted in me being referred back to Dr Penrose, and then back to Paybody's for an operation on my knee - this was in January 1962. I was in there for six weeks. One guy had been in there for 22 months, with both legs in plaster, with a bar running between them, in order for him to hopefully walk correctly. I was allowed to go home early, because the hospital was going to change to the eye hospital. Others were transferred to the Coventry & Warwick Hospital Don Inwood, Handleys Close, Ryton on Dunsmore." He is talking about me!!!!! What a pip! I was looking for the address of the Dover St clinic to see if I could help with Janey's post & have come across this. " . . . One guy had been in there for 22 months, with both legs in plaster, with a bar running between them, in order for him to hopefully walk correctly." That was me, he is talking about!!!!! I wish I could make contact with him if he is still alive, but no links in the directories.
mayjan
221 of 272  Sat 5th Mar 2016 5:51pm  
Off-topic / chat  

PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
222 of 272  Sat 5th Mar 2016 6:28pm  

Hello & thank you Mayjan. Wave
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
223 of 272  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 12:24pm  

On 21st Mar 2016 10:31pm, TonyS said: ... a bright navy blue (nearly turquoise) pinstripe suit...
Hi Tony, I have enjoyed being part of voluntary groups for most of my adult life, having been myself so helped by the professional skills & dedication of so many during the first fifteen years of my life, where I was in & out of Paybody hospital throughout. My earliest was the Enterprise club in Avon St & then Coventry Mind, but my interest in Myton goes back to the days when the then Bishop of Coventry asked for help in starting a hospice centre. That was around 1980ish. I shared fun times with various charitable groups, including a working lunch at McDonalds, where a team of burly rugby players had to enjoy a children's party lunch which included doing all of the party games, & I, being so small, nothing like the huge rugby players, had to sing "Little bow peep" wearing a tutu. Another time, I was on an accountants' course at Warwick, where I was staying at the Warwick Hilton Hotel for over a week. For two evenings, I was sponsored to dress as a butler, with full garb. No one recognised me, even though I was serving drinks to work & study colleagues over the two evenings. On another occasion, I walked with a sponsored group from Coventry to Kenilworth Castle where I was wearing a full wedding dress. So, my impulse to buy a dazzling pin-striped suit was quite conservative in comparison, even if all of the staff in the outer office asked for the lights to be dimmed.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
224 of 272  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 1:20pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5024

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
225 of 272  Tue 22nd Mar 2016 2:00pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3157