Next pageLast page
65 posts:
Order:    

JacobMarley
Reading
All posts by this member
1 of 65  Thu 25th Oct 2012 9:48am  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:10

Anybody else on these boards work at the old GPO delivery office in Queen Victoria Road. Closed 1976 when it was moved to Bishop Street.
Industry, Business and Work - Drill Hall (& GPO Delivery Office), Queen Victoria Road
heritage
Bedworth
All posts by this member
2 of 65  Thu 25th Oct 2012 11:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:374

I remember the Drill Hall being used for 'Ideal Home' type exhibitions around 1950 (give or take a bit).
Industry, Business and Work - Drill Hall (& GPO Delivery Office), Queen Victoria Road
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 65  Thu 25th Oct 2012 8:30pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1550

For those members who have yet to venture over to the map scans on the Main HC site, an aerial view from the mid 1960s can be found HERE. The drill hall is in the bottom right hand corner of the scan. Thumbs up
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 65  Fri 26th Oct 2012 1:59pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:287

Thanks Tony-there are some interesting things to look at-but I haven't spotted Wally yet! Thumbs up
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
5 of 65  Fri 26th Oct 2012 2:05pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:540

On 25th Oct 2012 11:46am, heritage said: I remember the Drill Hall being used for 'Ideal Home' type exhibitions around 1950 (give or take a bit).
Hi Heritage, Wave I've always had the idea in my mind that the Drill Hall was used for 'Ideal Home' type exhibitions, thank you for clarifying it. Thumbs up Sometimes things get a bit muddled as you get older. Oh my
mick
coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 65  Fri 26th Oct 2012 2:34pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:74

Tricia - I think you are right. There was a period when the Drill Hall was used for all sorts of events, including boxing, wrestling and dancing. I remember counting votes there after one election. There were also two parts to the building and I am think that the smaller part of it was used by the Dunlop.
Tricia
Bedworth
All posts by this member
7 of 65  Sat 27th Oct 2012 11:41am  
Member: Joined Jun 2011  Total posts:540

Hi Mick, I remember the Drill Hall being used for counting votes after elections.
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
8 of 65  Sat 27th Oct 2012 2:48pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:884

My father used to take me to see the wrestling at the Drill Hall on some Saurday nights. I would probably be about 10 at the time and always used to enjoy it. I wouldn't cross the road to watch wrestling now! Wink
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 65  Sat 27th Oct 2012 2:58pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1764

Unearthed from Cyberspace: And this obviously sadly came to nothing: Theres also an interesting shot here on Flickr I do recall the Drill Hall myself - mainly because of the Pinky/purple doors and frames ...
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 65  Sat 27th Oct 2012 8:50pm  

All this is a revelation to me, never having heard of the Drill Hall! Roll eyes Lol
Greg
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 65  Sat 27th Oct 2012 9:11pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2011  Total posts:252

Just another historic and iconic building which our Council wanted rid of so that they could pursue their god of `progress`. I put a 1960`s picture on another forum, this week, of two massive houses (one of which was a `pair` to one still existing in Little Park Street) which were an important part of the city`s history and was amazed to be told that they had both been destroyed. They were in Priory Row near Hilltop.
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 65  Sat 27th Oct 2012 11:41pm  

I believe that they were built by three brothers, competing to build the 'best' house.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 65  Sun 28th Oct 2012 12:41am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:851

Did this end up as a car park for years? Looks like a perfectly decent building. The damage inflicted on Coventry in the post war years continues to astound me. Everyone thinks the wartime damage was responsible for the somewhat low quality city centre, but it's clearly not the case. Even in my short time here there's been needless destruction and poor quality new buildings or just empty spaces. It's almost heartbreaking to see all this stuff needlessly demolished - whether it's the fine office block for Alvis or the city centre's surviving old streets, bustling with commerce and people... Just five seconds in a dismal place like 'Ikea Plaza' and it's pretty clear that some huge mistakes have been made, and continue to be made. It's not coming back now, though.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 65  Sun 28th Oct 2012 8:26am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1764

Agreed Flap. I was not just the war and tbh the demolition mistakes started before then (think Little Butcher Row). On demolition it did become this car park. Terrible waste.
flapdoodle
Coventry
All posts by this member
15 of 65  Sun 28th Oct 2012 9:40am  
Member: Joined Nov 2010  Total posts:851

I know 'generalzorn' who took that photo! When was it demolished? When I came to Cov in 1989 people were complaining that it had been knocked down or was going to be knocked down. People were also grumbling about the destruction of the old library building. But I think there are bigger problems locally these days than buildings.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 65 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Precision Gears and Machine Tools Ltd, Bodmin Road
|

Next (newer) topic

Rolls-Royce, Ansty
You are viewing topics in the Industry, Business and Work category