Next pageLast page
63 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
1 of 63  Fri 26th Oct 2012 5:03pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:2920

I think perhaps this one is for the ladies of the older generation. I have entered this topic in this thread because it was most likely at this time when POWDERED EGG was introduced. Does anyone remember powdered egg. It was on the shelves in little tins and according to my Mum I loved it. Don't know what the chickens thought about it though !! Roll eyes
Non-Coventry - Wartime food (and other recipes)
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
2 of 63  Fri 26th Oct 2012 7:12pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:170

Have you been watching "Wartime Farm" on BBC2. There was lots on there about food from that era, including powdered egg.
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 63  Fri 26th Oct 2012 8:17pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:289

My dad got really fed up of baked beans in the war. He refused to eat them for the rest of his life! Thumbs up
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 10:34am  
Member: Joined Dec 2011  Total posts:294

Powdered egg. I loved it and would buy it now if I could get it. As for the other eggs, the ones in shells, they were hard to get but when we did get them it was common to find a few rotten ones. It was my job to take them back to the shop for replacement. Mum would test them by floating them in water, the floaters went back to the shop. I remember the whale steaks, unrationed meat but I wasn't too fond of that. I think we also ate horse meat. My uncle in Preston was a horse slaughterer and I recall him taking dead horses to London. He would occasionally stop to pick me up for the ride.
PhilipInCoventry
Holbrooks
All posts by this member
5 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 10:49am  
Moderator: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:3886

Hello Wave Powdered egg was still available until quite recently from Coventry market & might still be, but is still available from food wholesalers. There was a scare a couple of years ago with regards to infection from overseas producers. The catering industry uses it. Wave
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
6 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 12:07pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3021

On 27th Oct 2012 10:34am, LesMac said: I remember the whale steaks, unrationed meat but I wasn't too fond of that. I think we also ate horse meat.
I believe fish & chips were the only hot food not subject to rationing during the war?
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 4:41pm  

My father kept a few ducks in the back garden in Tile Hill but they use to go walkabout. He worked at the Standard, Banner Lane, and when he came home he used to ask me to count the ducks. I am sure they got less and less from what I can remember. I will never eat a duck egg ever. Wave Roll eyes
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 4:45pm  

You are correct Dutchman. Plenty of fish and chips so no one went hungry. A large portion of chips wrapped in newspaper cost three pence and I believe cod to go with it was seven or eight pence. So you could get a good meal for about a bob (shilling). We were told that potatoes were very healthy food and I still remember the Mr Spud adverts .... Les
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
9 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 5:00pm  

You could do a hundred things with a spud according to my mum. Just goes to show how spoilt we are today. Back then it was either fish paste or meat paste for tea, oh, or a jam buttie/butty (whichever) and I know mushy peas was a favourite (as mentioned on the forum before). If you saw a line of housewives you could guess there were bananas at the front of it. When mum ran the shop coffee was kept under the counter only for the regular customers Wink and it came in small tins. That's it from me. Goodnight all, catch up tomorrow. Thumbs up
argon
new milton
All posts by this member
10 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 6:41pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2016  Total posts:86

I remember having a lot of junket during the war, seemed to fade out of the menu afterwards.
DBC
Nottinghamshire
All posts by this member
11 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 6:43pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:170

The Polish Air Force stationed stationed at Bramcote were issued with Christmas Puddings one year. Many of the airmen didn't particularly like this unknown food, and I have heard that many of these puddings found their way to households in Nuneaton and Coventry.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
12 of 63  Sat 27th Oct 2012 7:36pm  

On 27th Oct 2012 5:00pm, Dreamtime said: When mum ran the shop coffee was kept under the counter only for the regular customers Wink and it came in small tins.
Was that the kind of tin with tinfoil inside the top which you had to stab a hole in to get at the contents and then when you inserted a spoon the rough edges of the tinfoil catapulted cofee all over the table? Roll eyes
LesMac
Coventry
All posts by this member
13 of 63  Mon 29th Oct 2012 12:04pm  

My stepmother came from Preston so if it is a local dish up there I really don't know. Bannok or perhaps Bannock I'm not sure. It's an almost instant form of bread. If you want my advice don't bother. Bannock is simple. Basically it is just a pan fried bread dough. Lots of leeway in this recipe. Use your imagination with it. It can't be hurt! LOL (unless you try and add chocolate chips, etc.!) Flour Baking Powder Water Salt Lard or fat As to how much of each? I haven't a clue but below is a rough guess. 3 cups of flour tsp baking powder pinch of salt enough water to mix into a paste like dough Lard fry it in. Use a lot. 1/4" in bottom of fry pan and add more later if needed. Les Put it in the pan of hot grease and cook away! You can put it in as one piece, or shape it into "buns".
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
14 of 63  Mon 29th Oct 2012 11:05pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2259

Wartime recipes It's a shame as my daughter-in-law had the recipe books for the war, now gone she threw them away Sad I recall rocket cakes being in there, also my mum said they used to mix marg with butter to make it go further. Not sure if this was wartime, but my mum said they used to weigh the butter then pat it into a shape, my nan her mum after patting it into shape would tell the shopkeeper now weigh it again, as it loses weight when patting. When I use to take her shopping she would never buy anything with egg in it, she would read the ingredients to see if it had egg in, I now know why. I'll see if I can find any on the net. Big grin
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
15 of 63  Tue 30th Oct 2012 12:58am  

With the notable exception of the Co-op, grocers in those days had a reputation for adulterating food with other substances in order to maximise profits. For example, flour would be mixed with chalk, milk would be diluted with water.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 63 posts

Page 1 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

Tesco Christmas lights
|

Next (newer) topic

Useless Information
You are viewing topics in the Non-Coventry category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 17th December 2017  (Load time: 88ms)