Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3030

I have too, hope they can hear us Sandgropers from Downunder. Roll eyes
Sport, Music and Leisure - The future of Coventry Stadium, Brandon
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
152 of 172  Wed 7th Feb 2018 8:08am  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:239

My email to Rugby Council: Dear Rugby Council I write objecting to the plans to destroy one of Coventry and Rugby’s sporting icons to develop housing. Housing can be developed elsewhere. Brandon Stadium is known throughout the world, as the home of the Coventry Bees – and has been so since I was born in 1947. From the age of 4 until I migrated to Australia in 1973, I rarely missed a meeting, and worked there as part of the track staff for both speedway and stock cars. Both sports regularly brought visitors to Coventry and Rugby in large numbers. Since moving to Australia, I have treasured the fact that I have been able to watch speedway from Brandon regularly on TV, and – being now involved in Australian speedway – I can tell you how the Bees inspire young riders over here! The city of Coventry gains worldwide recognition as a result of the Bees’ magnificent record over the years. In the spectator crowds at last October’s Speedway Grand Prix in Melbourne, hundreds of fans wore Bees colours, some of whom travelled from Coventry and others were Aussie Bees supporters. Can you imagine the impact on the city of Manchester if Man Utd were forced out of existence by greedy developers with no thought of the impact on the well-being of the community. In recent years, Coventry has effectively lost its Premier League football team to greedy asset strippers, and its formerly formidable rugby team has lost out to better financed rivals. The region is in danger of disappearing completely from the rest of the world. City of Culture?? Pardon me for laughing – everything that made Coventry a community is being destroyed!!!! The argument that the stadium was financially unviable is a simplistic and self-serving lie. Other development options, including commercial development AROUND the stadium, making the complex dual purpose, should be considered that would make the continuation of speedway viable as a community asset. I would recommend such a course of action, and – if I had the finances to do it – I would make such a counter-proposal. Please consider these fervently held views from afar! John Walker
True Blue Coventry Kid

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
153 of 172  Thu 8th Feb 2018 6:09am  

Good on ya, JW. I have been waiting with bated breath for your comments. Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
154 of 172  Mon 19th Feb 2018 5:03pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4908

Scott Nicholls' Brandon sadness Sad
Kaga simpson
Peacehaven, East Sussex
All posts by this member
155 of 172  Mon 19th Feb 2018 6:25pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2014  Total posts:2077

JW. I agree with you, yet at the same time wonder why over all the time that passed by the powers that be at Brandon did not seem to secure their future? 1950 and Brandon stood in acres of waste land.
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
156 of 172  Mon 19th Feb 2018 8:56pm  

Sadly Kaga - I think they were securing their future all along - waiting for the right time to sell off and make their profit.
True Blue Coventry Kid

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
157 of 172  Tue 20th Feb 2018 6:51am  

After all that has been said and encouraging comments made I sincerely hope they can 'Get the Hive Buzzing again' Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
158 of 172  Sat 24th Feb 2018 6:09pm  

Chris Harris : "Join the fight"
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
159 of 172  Wed 28th Feb 2018 4:50pm  

BringBeesBackToCoventry @KeepBeesOnTrack Busy day for the campaign today. This morning we’re at our stadium with @bbcmtd - check it out this evening. Roughly translated - watch BBC Midlands Today this evening Thumbs up
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
160 of 172  Wed 28th Feb 2018 10:13pm  

Website link - Planning objections submitted (detailed information) Eleven grounds for the objections are shown in the 'Executive Summary'
JohnnieWalker
Canberra, Australia
All posts by this member
161 of 172  Thu 1st Mar 2018 6:18am  

Fingers crossed!!!
True Blue Coventry Kid

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
162 of 172  Fri 2nd Mar 2018 5:57pm  

BBC Coventry & Warwickshire featured the latest Campaign Group efforts during their programming on Thursday March 1. There were various recollections of the sports at the stadium during Vic Minett's morning show, along with a further feature later in the day. The relevant section from the Drivetime show can be found at the following link. Start at around 1:38.50 and the feature lasts for around eight minutes. This is the link to the Vic Minett show.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
163 of 172  Fri 16th Mar 2018 1:44pm  

From The Save Coventry Speedway & Stox Campaign: INCREDIBLE CONSULTATION RESPONSE WITH the consultation period following the Brandon Estates planning application now concluded, we are delighted to confirm Rugby Borough Council received an unprecedented response. Representatives of the Save Coventry Speedway and Stox Campaign Group met with the Principle Planning Officer Erica Buchanan on Wednesday March 14 and would like to thank her for making time to meet us. As the consultation period had closed on March 1, Ms Buchanan was able to reveal to us the response to the planning application to redevelop Brandon Stadium. Incredibly, a total of around 1,800 submissions were made to the council, with almost unanimous opposition to the proposal. In fact, just SEVEN submissions supported the proposal - and the majority of those cited the frequent incursions by gypsies and fact that the stadium is currently an eyesore, which of course is entirely attributable to the developer's complete failure to properly secure the site. The scale of the response is unheard of in this area, and demonstrates the love people have for the iconic Brandon Stadium. This was not a petition – this was 1,800 people who took the time and trouble to write a letter to the Council and express their opposition to proposals to redevelop the stadium. We were advised that letters of objection had come from all over the world. Examples included a letter from a Commander of a submarine and a Professor from a Cancer Research Centre in New York, who always attended Brandon during frequent visits to the UK. Other letters came from Australia, from Denmark and from the stock car drivers of the Netherlands who made the annual trek to race at Brandon. Another letter came from speedway legend Barry Briggs who, despite being in Mexico, took time out to make an impassioned plea to save Brandon. These objections from the corners of the world and even the depths of the ocean, demonstrate the international significance of Brandon Stadium. Letters of objection came from speedway and stock car supporters in the area; from fans nationwide who were regular visitors to the stadium; from many former and current speedway riders and stock car drivers; and from the governing bodies of both speedway racing (the ACU, SCB and BSPA) and Stock Cars (BriSCA, BSCDA). Crucially, the vast majority of local residents object to the proposed redevelopment and want to see the stadium remain as a motorsport venue, as it has been for 90 years. We also know of four Members of Parliament who submitted their own objections: Mark Pawsey (Rugby), Marcus Jones (Nuneaton & Bedworth), Colleen Fletcher (Coventry North East) and Jim Cunningham (Coventry North West). With regard to the likely timescale of activity, clearly there is a huge volume of material to collate and review before Ms Buchanan makes her recommendation to be taken forward to the Planning Committee. Due to the complexity of the case this recommendation should not be expected before late May at the very earliest, and Ms Buchanan has offered to keep us informed. The next significant event is the second stage of hearings into the Rugby Local Plan, which are scheduled to take place from April 17 to April 27. Our understanding is that Brandon will be discussed during these hearings. Representatives from the Campaign Group will be in attendance and members of the public do have the opportunity to attend in a non-speaking capacity. We will advise further when we receive details of when the subject of Brandon is likely to be raised. Finally, our sincere thanks to each and every person who made a submission. The response has again proved beyond all doubt what Brandon Stadium means to the local and wider sporting community – and why we are fighting so hard to retain it.
Billybobs
South Warwickshire
All posts by this member
164 of 172  Fri 16th Mar 2018 3:51pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2013  Total posts:27

Having only attended a few speedway and stock car events at Brandon in my lifetime, I was always amazed at the following and the intensity of the support. I sincerely hope the planners find sufficient reasons under planning law to reject the application. But, be aware, if they do, it is unlikely to be the end of the fight as no doubt in line with all 'developers' they will take the appeal route. Keep up the fight, do not be worn down by disappointments and maintain the intensity of adverse publicity GOOD LUCK!!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
165 of 172  Tue 17th Apr 2018 7:45pm  

Latest news from the Campaign Group Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 151 to 165 of 172 posts

Page 11 of 12