No actionNo action
15 posts:
Order:    

slumber
Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 15  Mon 19th Nov 2012 6:17am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:2

I don't have a lot to say, but I like to read what everyone else has to say and go through the various sites. I have been looking at some old pictures of Coventry and found them very interesting, but it made me wonder if, by chance, anyone may have a copy of a photograph of local school children, namely All Saints, Vecqueray Street, taken with the Lord Mayor of Coventry, as they were about to board an aeroplane at Baginton, to go for a trip round Coventry. I believe it was about 1958/59.
All Saints School, Vecqueray Street
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
2 of 15  Mon 19th Nov 2012 9:20am  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:644

Hello Slumber, Somewhere on here are pics of those plane flights in the era in question. I do not know which topic they are under. The flights were in a Rapide aircraft. Sorry not much help but if you delve into the past topics you will find them. Wave
happyhippie
Devon
All posts by this member
3 of 15  Mon 26th Nov 2012 1:27am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:30

Hello Slumber, I'm very new here but I saw your post. I too went to All Saints School. I lived first in Charterhouse Rd, then Vecqueray St. I have a photo (somewhere) taken the day the mayor came. I remember Mr Wheel the headmaster, he used to play a violin, badly, and hit us with the bow Oh my My favourite teacher was Mrs Baker. I will look for the photo and post it, when I find out how that is. I'm having so much fun reading about everyone's memories on here. I no longer live in Coventry, I now live in Devon, all my best memories are there. Thumbs up
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
4 of 15  Mon 26th Nov 2012 2:18am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3207

Welcome Happyhippie, with a name like that you are off to a good start. Hope you share your best memories with us Wave
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
5 of 15  Mon 26th Nov 2012 2:56am  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

It's gone now, replaced by 'Scholars' nightclub. I lived just up the road from All Saints but, being Catholic, had to pass it every day on my way to St Mary's.
cabbie
coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 15  Mon 26th Nov 2012 7:42am  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:29

We used to go to the jumble sales at All Saints and I remember getting some spats gaiters, in black, I thought they looked great. They nearly covered the whole of my leg. I must have looked a right idiot but I loved them.
happyhippie
Devon
All posts by this member
7 of 15  Wed 28th Nov 2012 12:58am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:30

My mum and nan use to go to those jumble sales too, I used to go to guides in the school hall one night a week. I hated my school years, but my best memories are of All Saints, even though the headmaster was a bit strange!!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
8 of 15  Wed 28th Nov 2012 8:40am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5116

Anyone know where the name Vecqueray comes from or what it refers to? Oh my
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
9 of 15  Wed 28th Nov 2012 9:01am  

Vecqueray St. was named after the Revd. G.C. Vecqueray, the vicar of All Saints until 1904.
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
10 of 15  Wed 28th Nov 2012 9:32am  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5116

Thanks, John Thumbs up
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 15  Wed 28th Nov 2012 9:46am  

No prob. Thumbs up
ccfc67
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 15  Tue 15th Apr 2014 12:52pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2014  Total posts:6

On 26th Nov 2012 1:27am, happyhippie said: I remember Mr Wheel the headmaster, he used to play a violin, badly, and hit us with the bow.
Mr Wheel, now that is a name from the past I can clearly remember having to sit through his violin performances - can also remember Mrs Baker, it's funny how memories come flooding back when someone mentions a name from the past, we had to walk to the assembly hall next to the school for assembly and dancing lessons, we would all make a dash to our favourite girl as we had to pair up. Lived in Gulson Road during this period - shame we have to grow up
California
Los Angeles, California
All posts by this member
13 of 15  Wed 16th Jul 2014 9:41pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2014  Total posts:4

On 26th Nov 2012 1:27am, happyhippie said: I remember Mr Wheel the headmaster, he used to play a violin, badly, and hit us with the bow.
This is California and my first time trying to respond to a post. I just joined and hope I am doing this correctly. I went to All Saints a millennium ago and remember Mr. Wheale (or piggy Wheale) as someone called him. Not a nice man - used the cane frequently and played the violin badly. I also remember Mrs. Baker - very prim and proper. However, do you remember either of the McCarthy girls (one blonde, one redhead) or Paul Foster? I think the McCarthy's lived on Northfield Road (as did I) and Paul lived on Charterhouse Road? All your posts are fascinating and bringing back memories. I have lived in California for the past 30 years but reading your posts made me very homesick. I hope I have done this correctly - if not, I will try again.
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 15  Wed 16th Jul 2014 10:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1568

Hi California, you most certainly have done it correctly Thumbs up Welcome to our forum I hope you enjoy your time here Cheers
Canada Dry
Toronto
All posts by this member
15 of 15  Sat 10th Jun 2017 6:14pm  
Member: Joined Jun 2017  Total posts:1

Hello one and all! This is another first time poster from "across the pond". I was taken back to my childhood reading these accounts of times gone by at All Saints. I too, remember Mrs Baker, she was a well turned out, slim lady with short, coiffed salt and pepper hair and given to wearing fitted 2 piece skirt suits. She was fond of peering over her half-moon spectacles and without saying a word would shoot an icy glare at misbehaving children which would stop them in their tracks! Other staff I remember from my era, which hopefully will jog some memories, include Mrs Moore; Ms Hinds; Mrs Viner; Mrs Shilton; Mr Grinnell; Mr Thomas and Mr Knight.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 15 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Armstrong Whitworth Flying Wing
|

Next (newer) topic

Water Mills
View similar topics in the Schools and Education category