Topic categories:

Coventry on 'Blitz Street' - Well done Alan!

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action
5 posts:
Order:    

Rob Orland
Historic Coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 5  Wed 28th Apr 2010 9:59pm  
Webmaster: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:998

Did anyone else see Blitz Street on Channel 4 with Tony Robinson this week? It's always good to see our Coventry on the telly, but this week it was a bit more special with the appearance of one of our forum friends - Alan (aka 'IslandCafe'). Some of you might already have seen some of Alan's memories amongst my webpages, but it was great to see him "in the flesh" so to speak, and I thought he came across brilliantly as he brought to life vivid details from 7 decades ago. So I can simply repeat "Well Done Alan"!
IslandCafe
Modbury, Devon
All posts by this member
2 of 5  Thu 29th Apr 2010 12:39pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:86

Thank you Rob for your kind words. The interview was actually quite a harrowing experience, for a while I was six years old and living through it all again. I am sure the other interviewee's felt the same so thanks to them all for baring their souls in public. Alan.
Alan

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
3 of 5  Thu 29th Apr 2010 3:19pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4473

Yes, well done Alan and the ladies who also appeared (weren't they the same ones who appeared on a previous programme about the Blitz?) I wasn't born until a couple of years after the end of the war, so I can only try and imagine just how harrowing it all was, particularly the night of 14/15 Nov 1940
BrotherJoybert
Coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 5  Fri 30th Apr 2010 1:47pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:119

Thanks Alan for sharing your memories. One of the ladies was indeed on the BBC Timewatch programme - recounted the same story about her dad looking for food and entering a shop but this time with a little more detail. If the Nazi's had had more resources at their disposal I dread to think what further carnage would have been inflicted on Britain's towns and cities.
sjrw
Surrey
All posts by this member
5 of 5  Tue 4th May 2010 3:26pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:7

Managed to record the repeat and view over the weekend. Have to echo the comments of others in thanking Alan and the other participants to the program. I remember my Nan (born 1925) telling my as a teenager for a school project about the Bristol Blitz that she would give anything that her children and grand-children would never have to live through such an event. I never really appreciated what she meant until now.

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 5 of 5 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Highfield Street
|

Next (newer) topic

Coventry Photo Engraving Co
View similar topics in the Wartime and the Blitz category

Home | Forum index | Forum stats | Forum help | Log out | About me | My music
Top of the page
HTML5
Counter by Rob Orland

This page last updated 21st April 2017  (Load time: 191ms)