No actionNo action
72 posts:
Order:    

Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
61 of 72  Fri 5th Feb 2016 5:34pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5110

Cassie (Charmill Cassandra) and Shelley (Dheripark Brighid), sadly no longer with us, always loved and very much missed Sad Cassie was a wise old bird, Shelley mad as a hatter Smile
Non-Coventry - Pet Corner
TonyS
Coventry
All posts by this member
62 of 72  Fri 5th Feb 2016 6:24pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2011  Total posts:1568

What beautiful dogs. How old were they?
Roger Turner
Torksey
All posts by this member
63 of 72  Fri 5th Feb 2016 11:29pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:566

I think it`s time for another "Shaggy" dog story. "Gina" (an Airedale) came to us as a grown up dog, used to children from a dog rehoming place, I think behind the Boot at Honiley, I`m talking of about 1974. The lady there was a very nice lady and she knew we had two young daughters. Gina was `first reserve` as we had fallen in love (or the girls had) with a young Lab called "Benji of Leamington", the lady did say "come back if he doesn`t fit in. We soon found out he didn`t, carry a plate of food through from the kitchen to the dining room - he could grab the food off it as you passed - but his final down fall was when he put his front paws on my 3 year old daughter`s shoulders and sat her down, to snaffle the food she was carrying on her plate. I can`t tell you the whole story of Gina, suffice it to say she was a wonderful dog, loved by all, but she had her "Moments"!! Moment 1 - she was a "Nanny dog" if we picniced in the park and for any reason left the two of the m (girls) on their own on the rug, she would circle them as a guard dog. Moment 2 - picnic, by Kinlochrannoch, Gina has taken herself off and disappeared into the heather, with her Ginger appearance, she wouldn`t be visible again until she chose to return - she did return this day, as we were sitting down to the food, unfortunately she was preceded by a sheep, luckily we grabbed her as she passed. Moment 3 - she had "greeted" the arrival of the postman in the garden, he had kicked her and reported her to the police - policeman visited and she rolled over on her back in front of him and he said "Oh she`s just a soft thing - we`ve had trouble with that postie before!" Moment 4 - take her for any walk in the country, she could always find a puddle (preferably muddy) and lower herself into it - "please don`t make me sit by her in the car Mummy" Moment 5 - plumber`s wagon delivering central heating stuff, dumps it on front lawn in our absence - we return to find lorry still at the gate and driver standing by the goods, Gina lying by his feet, gently gripping his trouser leg Moments 6,7,8 etc. - when earthly desires moved her she was an escapologist, she produced two puppies who made life a misery for her, forever pulling the fur and whiskers round the nose that clusters on this sort of dog, this went on until she lost patience and picked them up and just tossed them against the wall - didn`t seem to injure them and it wasn`t long before they returned to carry on the fun. Gina didn`t rule the animal roost in our house, we had a Siamese cat - Kandy - who used to sit on the table and as the dog walked by her, hang over and sink her claws into her rear end. Anybody ever kept a Siamese cat? I can tell you a shaggy cat story about that one - most destructive beast I`ve ever come across - even bit the doctor
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
64 of 72  Sat 6th Feb 2016 12:23am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3201

Hey Roger, are they "moments to remember " or what? Lovely to read though. Thank you. I was once told you have to have an aura about you to possess a Siamese, I had to think about that one as you don't see many of those out and about invading other's gardens. They most likely rule the roost. I love this thread and it's contents. Happy
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
65 of 72  Sat 6th Feb 2016 12:27am  

On 5th Feb 2016 5:01pm, bohica said: My current 'charge.' A true ladies dog, they just love him. I've never been stopped so often for a chat about him. Everyone in the local pub loves him and he's generally a pleasure to have around: except if he sees another dog. Small price to pay I reckon.
Beautiful Bohica, I hope we hear more. You didn't mention his name. He looks like a 'Rebel' to me. Wave
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
66 of 72  Sat 6th Feb 2016 12:32am  

We can't help but love em' can we MR. the pair you have shown look adorable. The only trouble having pets is they are not with us long enough Take lots of photos folks they are well worth it as I am sure you are aware Wave
bohica
coventry
All posts by this member
67 of 72  Sat 6th Feb 2016 9:55am  
Member: Joined Apr 2012  Total posts:236

On 6th Feb 2016 12:27am, Dreamtime said: Beautiful Bohica, I hope we hear more. You didn't mention his name. He looks like a 'Rebel' to me. Wave
His name's Spencer and I've had him just over 12 months. He's slightly over 2 years old. He can be incredibly obedient, but only when he wants to. I've never met such a stubborn breed of dog. He's also incredibly protective, and will automatically place himself in the best position to protect you when out. If someone he doesn't know sits near you in a pub, he quickly gets between you and them. I've never known such a loving dog. He'll cuddle against you all day long if you'll let him. Here's another picture of him, "mum" is under there somewhere!
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
68 of 72  Sat 6th Feb 2016 11:12am  

He's lovely Bohica, I believe he knows how much you love him, is he licking his lips at the camera man ? Oh my
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
69 of 72  Sat 6th Feb 2016 5:50pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:5110

On 5th Feb 2016 6:24pm, TonyS said: What beautiful dogs. How old were they?
We had to take Cassie to the vet in Coventry one week before her 14th birthday Sad We were taking Shelley to the vet in Seaford and she died in my wife's arms on the doorstep of the surgery, aged 8 Sad
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
70 of 72  Sat 20th Feb 2016 9:12pm  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:155

Oh dear. It is heartbreaking to lose a pet, after all, they are part of your family. I am a cat person and have always had cats. A few years ago I had a beautiful tortoiseshell cat given to me as a small kitten. I had her injected with everything I should have but she constantly had gingivitis and even tonsillitis at one stage. Sadly she developed feline leukaemia and eventually, when I saw she was constantly curling into a ball in the dark corner of the room, I couldn't stand seeing her suffer so had to take her to the vet to be put down. She was only seven. I cried and cried. However, I now have two lovely ginger cats, cheeky little Hector who is about ten or eleven now and a really sissy cat, and Daisy, who had an incident in my son's garden when he owned her and a dog jumped at her by the fence - she tried to get away but got her leg and tail caught in some rubble. She was only two years old, a beautiful long haired ginger girl, and fortunately the vet decided she just couldn't put her down so amputated her back leg. Nowadays, two years later, she is a contented little soul, we call her a cheeky girl, and my, she goes like a rocket when she runs. She can't jump very high but is quite happy to go out in my garden, which is well fenced, and we often let her out to have a nose around the front of the house. We do, however, leave the side gate slightly open in case a dog should decide to chase her.
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
71 of 72  Sun 21st Feb 2016 9:02am  

Aawww, Janey, you know they learn to cope don't they, just like we have to in life. We love them and they love you back. As you are aware we were away for the weekend and we were sitting on some decking which was spaced just a little too far apart and when Charlie walked on it, very gingerly, his back leg when in between the planks and he was stuck but I managed to pull and ease his leg free again. He spent the next hour sitting by me and licking my leg. Was that a big 'thank you' or what. Wave
Janey
Keresley
All posts by this member
72 of 72  Sun 21st Feb 2016 11:54am  
Member: Joined Aug 2014  Total posts:155

Oh definitely Dreamtime! That's what my little ginger girl does to thank me for her comfortable home and good food, oh, and games! A good licking while doing the endless pummelling movement on my lap! And the other one waves his paw at us when he wants a fuss, really funny. Happy Lol Big grin

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 61 to 72 of 72 posts

Page 5 of 5

1 2 3 4 5
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Moon Landings - conspiracy or not?
|

Next (newer) topic

Embarrassing moments