Next pageLast page
113 posts:
Order:    

scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 113  Sat 24th Nov 2012 5:15pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2010  Total posts:644

Hey Dreamtime, Your up with the "Santas" now. Thumbs up PS, Will be down your way next year but about 1,500 miles away from you at the nearest point. Port Augusta. Cheers
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
2 of 113  Sun 25th Nov 2012 2:38am  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3212

Hi Mattash, Yes, he is big and cuddly, sorry if he takes up a lot of room. Never been to Port Augusta, nearest there though to Adelaide, the city of churches. My son was in the RAAF at Elizabeth. (sorry not Christmas related but I wanted to answer you post Mattash) You will be made very welcome there, any excuse for a good time Cheers Love the snowman !
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
3 of 113  Sun 25th Nov 2012 6:45am  

Hi Mattash, Have you looked for Port Augusta on Google Earth yet ?
Australia
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
4 of 113  Sun 25th Nov 2012 10:17am  

Hi Dreamtime, We were going to emigrate to where you are in 1972 but things went wrong so we did not go. Alan Whicker started me off when one of his episodes was about Opal mining. Always wanted to do that! 15 years ago I gave up the idea of going to Australia but then, 4 months ago, something health wise started the craving off again. It took over a month just to sort the route out, then another month for places to stopover. Australia is a big place with few roads. I have now booked everything for next August-September and that is the beauty of Google earth, I now know all the rest areas. My itinerary, but not everything of what we are doing, is Sydney - Newcastle - Moonee Beach - Brisbane - Bunaberg - Rockhampton - Yeppoon - Great Keppel Island - Barrier Reef - Cloncurry - Mount Isa - Tennant Creek - Alice Springs - Kings Canyon - Urulu - Olgas - Coober Pedy (I will do fossicking there lol) - Woomera - Port Augusta - Adelaide-Cullulleraine - Hay - Cowra - Katooma - Sydney. One of the places on the way is to have a beer at Walkabout Creek Hotel, from the opening shot in Croc-Dundee, daft I know, and a quick swim from Bondi Beach, too much to mention. A hell of a lot to see on the way. When the sister-in-law knew where we were going she asked to come as well, so it is two campervans now or else we would end up strangling each other. But I did warn them, it is not a holiday, It is an experience. I am finally, after all these years, going to get to dig for my opals, lol. I think that lot should keep me going for a week, lol. Wave
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
5 of 113  Sun 25th Nov 2012 11:45am  

We (family of four) came out in 1974. You are joking of course when you said a week? My son is in Trinity Beach up in Queensland and says he would not live anywhere else. Much too hot and humid for me. It looks as if you are well prepared and I wish you the very best of luck in your adventure. I wish I was 25 years younger!!!! ps. we are not 'off topic' are we ?
Australia
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
6 of 113  Sun 25th Nov 2012 11:56am  

No, we're ok, found the off-topic smiley, thought I would use it. I will be almost 66 when we go, thought I had better do Australia before I'm too old. We have the campervan for 28 days but I have kept 2 days back for just in case. I might enjoy the digging for opals too much and want to stay longer Big grin I think this will be the last of our big travels but who knows? Thumbs up
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
7 of 113  Sun 25th Nov 2012 2:45pm  

Wise move, make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy every minute, also take lots of photographs and make lots of memories, that's what it is all about isn't it? Have you retired yet? in that case time is your own. Hope you find lots of opals. Wave
Australia
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
8 of 113  Sun 22nd Sep 2013 1:57pm  

Hi all, just back from Oz, fantastic time but brain a bit frazzled at mo. Could anyone tell me what insect can inject its eggs into you as I had to gouge out two half inch worms from between my big toe? This is a genuine query as this happened on the second week. They were white with a black head on them about one sixteenth of an inch thick. Wave Cheers
Australia
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
9 of 113  Sun 22nd Sep 2013 8:48pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2215

Welcome back, Mattash Smile
Australia
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
10 of 113  Sun 22nd Sep 2013 8:49pm  

Mystery of the Flesh Eaters Photorhabdus
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
11 of 113  Mon 23rd Sep 2013 3:21am  

Hi Mattash, I would love to know of your exploits downunder. Glad to know you got home all in one piece (sorry to hear about the extra baggage though). Hope you find a painless cure. That's a new one for me. Next time always wear your army boots! Roll eyes Did you manage to visit all the places you planned and any funny happenings we would love to hear about. Big grin Wave
Australia
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
12 of 113  Mon 23rd Sep 2013 1:27pm  

Thanks Morgana and Dreamtime, Afraid that is not the worm I gouged out Morgana but I will troll the internet for it when I get the time. As far as visiting all the places I planned, managed to fit in a few more on the way. It was very hectic and arrived back in Sydney with one hour to spare to catch the flight home. Seen whales at Byron Bay also close up just off Great Keppel Island (female just given birth to little 'un), dolphins (pink ones), nice to see these in the wild. When I can get my head into order I will see what I can find for you Dreamtime. One of my SD cards was faulty in one of my cameras, been trying to salvage what I can off it, seems I lost 19 videos out of 82. At the mo, we went to where Waltzing Matilda was first played and sung and stayed the night on site. Sitting having a drink, I told the wife, sis-in-law and her husband about this fact and then took my harmonica out of my pocket (you have to realise I have never played a musical instrument in my life before), while they were looking the other way I started to play Waltzing Matilda at which point they were shocked. What a picture. I had practised playing the harmonica for 6mths to achieve that look on their faces. Big grin Cheers
Australia
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
13 of 113  Mon 23rd Sep 2013 10:33pm  

You're welcome Mattash, hope to see some pictures of your adventure.
Australia
scrutiny
coventry
All posts by this member
14 of 113  Fri 27th Sep 2013 9:04am  

You're good at this Morgana, could anyone tell me what this nest, burrow or whatever is please. There were no end of them near the Kings Canyon but did not see them anywhere else. I have only just sorted out my videos and pics and having trouble wrapping my head around everything we've seen and done. The travelling worked out at 190mls a day for 28 days but we did have 5 days off, albeit to travel to other places like Great Keppel Island, around Alice, Coober Pedy and Semaphore Park. Many thanks to all, Wave PS. here you go Morgana, know you like flowers, this one is called Sturts Sweet Pea. The wife thinks it looks like an alien, but a cracking nice flower. Thumbs up
Australia
Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
15 of 113  Fri 27th Sep 2013 11:12am  

Hi Mattash, did you see any of these Kangaroo Paws, they come in all colours. WA is well known for its wild flowers. After the first rains the deserts and bushlands are spectacular. Wave
Australia

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 113 posts

Page 1 of 8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next pageLast page

Previous (older) topic

More mystery photos
|

Next (newer) topic

Morris Engines, Courthouse Green