Next pageNo action
27 posts:
Order:    

Webbod
coventry
All posts by this member
1 of 27  Mon 26th Nov 2012 10:18am  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:2

As you are probably aware, the old Pails bakery on Craven street in Chapelfields is the subject of two planning applications, one to demolish the existing derelict bakery and another to build a three storey, 13 unit apartment building on the site. Various residents and action groups are up in arms about the development, but so far none of the objections that have been raised against the planning applications are of any merit (from a planning perspective) and the backlash is starting to sound a lot like the reaction to the planned demolition of the Hippodrome. I want to see if we can go down a different route and apply to get the building listed - but that will depend on whether the (unremarkable) building is a historic structure rather than just an old one. This is where I could do with your help, (putting nostalgia aside) can anybody demonstrate that the Pails bakery has played a significant and enduring role in the history of Coventry? Should the building be preserved at all? It has been abandoned since 2008 and has had to have remedial work to shore up one of the external walls. Bringing the building back into use will cost upwards of £100k are there better buildings worth saving?
Tweet: @web_bod

Town Planning and Development - Pails Bakery
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
2 of 27  Mon 26th Nov 2012 12:09pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:215

It was such a shame the idea of a Coffee shop/studio failed as the people had the full backing of the residents and even went round the houses asking if we thought it was a good idea.I think the most concern is about the lack of parking around here.I and my neighbours on both sides do not own a car but if we did there would be nowhere to put it and it's hard to belive none of the 13 occupants of that proposed house would not own a car. Here's the plans. Andy in Mount Street. Update: Sorry there are parking facilities on the plans......for about 8 push-bikes round the back of the house.
Triumph - 'The Best Motorcycle in the World'.

Old Lincolnian
Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 27  Mon 26th Nov 2012 6:47pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2012  Total posts:478

I lived in Craven Street and then Mount Street for a couple of years in the early 70s and the smell of the bakers was always a morning delight. We used to somtimes go and get the bread while it was still hot. There was also quite a good chip shop there as well. With those two and the eclectic mix of nearby pubs it was a great place to live.
morgana
the secret garden
All posts by this member
4 of 27  Mon 26th Nov 2012 9:44pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2011  Total posts:2227

Could nt you all club together to buy the Bakery in order to keep it, as you said even though you ve all objected to it, like the theatre they re not listening. To be honest why do they ask if people want to object when they get ignored and carry on regardless , suppose that could make another carry on film Lol Lol Lol if you did nt laugh you would cry.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
5 of 27  Mon 26th Nov 2012 10:17pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:3000

On 26th Nov 2012 9:44pm, morgana said: Could'nt you all club together to buy the Bakery in order to keep it, as you said even though you've all objected to it.
The building itself is of no historical or architectural significance having been altered beyond all recognition over the years. It is also virtually useless for any purpose other than as a bakery and that is no longer financially viable. The most valid objection to the proposed new building is that a street which once contained a variety of retail and light manufacturing businesses is now almost entirely residential.
Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
6 of 27  Mon 26th Nov 2012 10:32pm  

There would be nothing id like better than to buy that building and make it useful for the local community (and others of course),there is the blue roof C of E church for a meeting place but it would be nice to have somewhere else like the places that are in Earlsdon to meet up to sit and natter.There has been some good renovations in the past year in this area using the existing buildings like the bottom corner of Duke St/AOR and the old Sunday school in Lord St but theres always someone hell bent on ripping out a building just to cram more people into an already overcrowded area,maybe i ought to start the dreaded gambling and get a lottery ticket for the first time in my 48 years Lol

Webbod
coventry
All posts by this member
7 of 27  Tue 27th Nov 2012 7:58pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:2

On 26th Nov 2012 10:32pm, Catshed said: There would be nothing id like better than to buy that building and make it useful for the local community (and others of course)
If you send me your email address then I'll put you in touch with some like minded people who'd love to talk to you about that Thumbs up
Tweet: @web_bod

Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
8 of 27  Tue 27th Nov 2012 10:50pm  

Like i say Webbod,i'll have to win the lottery first Smile

Catshed
Old Chapelfields
All posts by this member
9 of 27  Tue 18th Dec 2012 10:20am  

Application status decision yesterday: WITHDRAWN Thumbs up

johnquinn
crowthorne
All posts by this member
10 of 27  Tue 18th Dec 2012 12:17pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:6

I remember Pails, 'cos I was born in Sir Thomas White's Rd. Its sad to think its gone. We also used to have a butchers (in STWR), but I can't think of the name. Anyone else? Ta, JC
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
11 of 27  Tue 18th Dec 2012 12:28pm  

On 18th Dec 2012 10:20am, Catshed said: Application status decision yesterday: WITHDRAWN Thumbs up
I suspect it will be resubmitted in a scaled-down form.
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
12 of 27  Tue 18th Dec 2012 12:30pm  

On 18th Dec 2012 12:17pm, johnquinn said: We also used to have a butchers (in STWR), but I can't think of the name.
Was that on the corner of Abercorn Road where the off-license is today? I couldn't even remember the butchers in Craven Street and Iived there for over seven years!
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
13 of 27  Tue 18th Dec 2012 1:06pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4927

On 18th Dec 2012 12:30pm, dutchman said: I couldn't even remember the butchers in Craven Street and Iived there for over seven years!
Jack Marshall ?
johnquinn
crowthorne
All posts by this member
14 of 27  Tue 18th Dec 2012 4:55pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2012  Total posts:6

Hi, Thanks for that and as always remarkably quick. How could I forget Marshalls? The shop on the corner of STWR was always called Wardies. It was owned by a Mr. Ward of course. Ta, JC
Midland Red
Cherwell
All posts by this member
15 of 27  Wed 20th Mar 2013 9:23pm  
Moderator: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:4927

Plans to restore historic Pails Bakery Thumbs up

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 15 of 27 posts

Page 1 of 2