No actionNo action
11 posts:
Order:    

gangan
Stockton, Southam
All posts by this member
1 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 1:48pm  
Member: Joined May 2012  Total posts:126

I lived in Newey Road, Wyken, in the very early 50's and very well remember that there was a very small shop, run from the front room, of number 1. The owners were a Mr and Mrs Jones. The shop was obviously called by us locals, Jones's. You would enter the front porch, turn left, open the door and there would be a table with whatever they had to sell laid out on it. They used to store the old, returned, R Whites bottles in their back garden and we kids would take them from the back, round to the front and get tuppence or thrupence each for them, which we would "spend" on whatever sweets they had (Black Jacks or Fruit Salads?). If I recall correctly, there was also a front room shop in Hermitage Road, but I may be mistaken. Other than a Brooke Bond advert in the window, Jones's gave nothing away about it being a shop. There were many corner shops about, but wonder if any members can recall front room shops. I bet the current owners of No 1 are unaware of the history of their property
Front room shops
MisterD-Di
Sutton Coldfield
All posts by this member
2 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 2:51pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:899

An interesting memory. It got me wondering whether the Mr & Mrs Jones were the same people who set up a newsagents business in Princethorpe Way when Ernesford Grange was first built. It was one of three brand new shops with living accommodation above, and they were there by 1960 and remained for many years. Mr Jones was a slim, grey-haired chap and his wife was a large, buxom woman with plenty to say. My mother avoided Jones's as much as possible as it was a gossip-exchange where your business would be public knowledge if you let it. One similarity is the pop-bottle scam though. We used to do exactly the same as you on many occasions if their back gate was open. Blush
Front room shops
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
3 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 2:58pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:258

A few doors up from where I lived in Coronation Road, there was an old chap, who used his front room as an antique cum second hand shop. He also had things outside on the pavement, I used to love having a good old scout around there. He sold every thing from bits of furniture to chamber pots and old coins and books. I remember buying a book from him, it was a sort of detective story but it was made out like a police crime book with samples of hair etc. It fascinated me at that time, wish I still had it. Can't recall the name of the shop owner, maybe Tricia will remember it. Thumbs up
Front room shops
dutchman
Spon End
All posts by this member
4 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 3:00pm  
Member: Joined Mar 2010  Total posts:2999

There was one around the corner from me in Ludlow Road, Earlsdon which sold decorative ribbons. Council records show it was owned by a retired policeman who looked after a disabled daughter and was given special planning permission.
Front room shops
anne
coventry
All posts by this member
5 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 3:36pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2012  Total posts:287

My aunt and uncle had a shop in their cottages in Shilton. They had about an acre of land and grew fruit, vegetables and flowers which they sold in their 'shop'. Uncle Aub also supplemented this by picking up oranges and so on from the wholesale market.
Front room shops
poacher
boston lincolnshire
All posts by this member
6 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 9:26pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2012  Total posts:3

On 28th Nov 2012 2:58pm, mayjan said: A few doors up from where I lived in Coronation Road, there was an old chap, who used his front room as an antique cum second hand shop. He also had things outside on the pavement, I used to love having a good old scout around there. He sold every thing from bits of furniture to chamber pots and old coins and books. I remember buying a book from him, it was a sort of detective story but it was made out like a police crime book with samples of hair etc. It fascinated me at that time, wish I still had it. Can't recall the name of the shop owner, maybe Tricia will remember it. Thumbs up
It may have been Jeffs. Mrs Jeffs was a Labour Party member. She had a huge satchel that she used to fill with election pamphlets and deliver all over Hillfields.
alan clare

Front room shops
Genghis Smith
Ireland
All posts by this member
7 of 11  Wed 28th Nov 2012 11:01pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2010  Total posts:70

I remember Mrs Manning's sweet shop in the early 70s, which was on Mellowdew Rd, on the opposite side to Ravensdale Rd. Me & my mate used to go in there after school for Magic Wands, which were sherbet/licorice sticks. Thumbs up
Front room shops
jmn43
casa grande arizona
All posts by this member
8 of 11  Thu 29th Nov 2012 1:40pm  
Member: Joined Jul 2011  Total posts:17

Does anyone remember Wally Turrell's second hand shop on Lockhurst Lane.
Front room shops
Primrose
USA
All posts by this member
9 of 11  Sat 8th Dec 2012 2:46am  
Member: Joined Sep 2011  Total posts:192

On 28th Nov 2012 2:58pm, mayjan said: A few doors up from where I lived in Coronation Road, there was an old chap, who used his front room as an antique cum second hand shop. . . Can't recall the name of the shop owner, maybe Tricia will remember it. Thumbs up
Mayjan, Mother has arrived for her Christmas visit and thinks the name may be Anson, although she isn't sure. Does that ring any bells?
Front room shops
mayjan
Green Lane,Coventry
All posts by this member
10 of 11  Sat 8th Dec 2012 9:51am  
Member: Joined Oct 2010  Total posts:258

No sorry Primrose it doesn't...but that's not to say she isn't correct, the way my memory is lol . How lovely you get to spend Christmas with your Mum. Give her my best wishes and have a great time. Smile
Front room shops
Mick Strong
Coventry
All posts by this member
11 of 11  Wed 30th Oct 2013 8:21pm  
Member: Joined Sep 2013  Total posts:135

As a young one, we lived at my uncle Sids in Cobden Street. He had numbers 19 and 21, and one of those was turned into a fruit and veg shop.
MS

Front room shops

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

No actionNo action

Displaying 1 to 11 of 11 posts

Page 1 of 1

No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Group photo mystery
|

Next (newer) topic

B J Timing & Son - Butchers, Brook Street