No actionNo action
83 posts:
Order:    

Dreamtime
Perth Western Australia
All posts by this member
76 of 83  Thu 25th Sep 2014 4:51pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2010  Total posts:3126

Great minds think alike . Thumbs up an oldie but a goodie. Edited by member, 25th Sep 2014 6:19 pm
What was the first concert you went to?
Covkidd
Coventry
All posts by this member
77 of 83  Thu 25th Sep 2014 9:22pm  
Member: Joined Oct 2013  Total posts:22

First would have been Elton John at Cov Theatre about 1974.A few years later couldn't stand him and was seeing the likes of The Buzzcocks at the Theatre.
CovKid41
Wilmington, North Carolina, USA
All posts by this member
78 of 83  Sat 2nd May 2015 2:09am  
Member: Joined May 2015  Total posts:2

In the fifties not many US artists came to the UK, but I remember that when Bill Haley and the Comets came a few of of my schoolmates got tickets to see them at the Gaumont Cinema. I did not go, but I did go to see The Crickets at the De Montfort Hall, Leicester on March 16th. 1958, with my mate, John Probert. It cost us 10/-, 5/- for the coach ticket and 5/- for the concert ticket. Absolute magic from a great group. I recall that midway through the concert, a girl came running past us, heading for the stage, screaming "BUDDY". Two of the concert security blokes grabbed an arm each and, lifting her up off the floor, took her back to her seat.
BritattheBeach

Ken Dickson
High Hesket Cumbria
All posts by this member
79 of 83  Sat 2nd May 2015 10:41pm  
Member: Joined Jan 2015  Total posts:47

CovKid41. I went to the Bill Haley concert at the Gaumont Cinema, very good show. You mention a friend named John Probert. I wonder if he is the same John Probert that I knew at the time I attended Stoke Heath Primary School. The John I knew then lived in Alliance Way, Stoke Heath.
Derrickarthur
Coventry
All posts by this member
80 of 83  Sat 2nd May 2015 11:06pm  
Member: Joined Nov 2014  Total posts:145

PP Arnold backed by The VIP's (Keith Emerson & co) at Tudor Club (Mercer's Arms) in 1966, Long John Baldry with Rod Stewart & Julie Driscoll at Jazz Club (Leofric) also 1966. Free, Fairport Convention, Family, ELP & Steppenwolf at Lanch, Stones at Cov Theatre, Meatloaf 3 times, Liverpool Scene & Edgar Broughton at Mothers in Erdington, Springsteen at St James's Park Newcastle, and Blind Faith in Hyde Park. Best was probably Yes at De Montfort in Leicester in 1974 and again at Sheffield Town Hall in 2014 and they were still brilliant.
fidobsa
Hungary
All posts by this member
81 of 83  Mon 4th May 2015 5:54pm  
Member: Joined Feb 2015  Total posts:36

I can't remember exactly which came first but I went to a few gigs at Warwick University students union in 1982 and saw various two tone and punk bands including Selector and one called Splodgenessabounds.
NeilsYard
Coventry
All posts by this member
82 of 83  Tue 5th May 2015 3:05am  
Member: Joined Aug 2010  Total posts:1815

You cannot really forget "two pints of lager and a packet of crisps - please". Talking of earlier mentioned Coventry bands - King have almost reformed sans Paul King and are playing this Sunday at Ego in Cook Street for their first reunion gig. Edited by member, 5th May 2015 3:05 am
3Spires
Leicestershire
All posts by this member
83 of 83  Sun 15th Apr 2018 10:46pm  
Member: Joined Apr 2018  Total posts:19

Supertramp, Joan Armatrading, The Movies: All at the one gig at the Coventry Theatre 1975 - talk about value for money! Smile

You need to be signed in to respond to this topic

First pagePrevious page

Displaying 76 to 83 of 83 posts

Page 6 of 6

1 2 3 4 5 6
No actionNo action

Previous (older) topic

Bus chassis driven around Coventry
|

Next (newer) topic

Freemen of the City of Coventry